Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blake06 View Post

Next up (non e-book) will be one of these:

- Legend by Gemmell
    - Anubis Gates by Powers
    - The Bone Doll's Twin by Flewelling

Help me choose!
    Well, I've only read The Bone Doll's Twin of the three mentioned, but I strongly recommend it.

I'm reading Transformation by Carol Berg. I'm about halfway through, and like the way how the relationship between Seyonne and Aleksander is developing. Great to be back to first person narrative, it always reminds me of Fitz.

I've also read first couple of chapters of Spirit Gate by Kate Elliott, but I don't know if I'll continue, cause it's an e-book and I really don't like reading of the computer.

Well I just started (and have now almost finished) The Steel Remains, which I've found surprisingly good, though I have to agree with some reviews in that it tries a bit too hard to be gritty and out there, with a lot of unnecessary sex scenes. But it's still an entertaining read, as i'm 2/3 of the way through after buy it two days ago Otherwise also just purchased the comic Watchmen, which I'll work through when I get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinuviel View Post
    I'm well into book two of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire - and absolutely loving it!
    Just picked up the first book yesterday and can't wait for this weekend to start reading it.

Read interesting books
    I finished Alchemy of Stone by E. Sedia.

This was a very different read from what I expected so at first I thought that it sets up a great storyline/world and then fails somewhat to live to that potential, but the last 3rd or so of the book and especially its poignant ending made me reconsider and appreciate this one as what it truly is - a mainstream character study disguised as science fantasy.

The character happens to be a mechanical girl called Mattie, but her creator a Mechanic with a damaged face and a past that slowly revealed leads us to understand his obsessions, and why he made Mattie intelligent, self-aware, capable of feeling pain and pleasure including of a sensual type though maybe in not the usual ways and then later "emancipated" Mattie only to keep her "rewinding key" without which she will stop working after a while. Just to visit him, Loharri the mechanic claimed, to make sure that Mattie will not completely forsake him, but of course there is much more than that.

And Mattie joins the Alchemists, the rivals, competitors and sometimes enemies of the Mechanics, a strange self-aware automaton in a city full of owned, lacking sentience and self-awareness servant automatons and when she takes both an important project and an important noble customer, Mattie unwittingly gets embroiled in plots, revolution and much more.

Highly, highly recommended but with the caveat above - a very inventive world, but the focus is on the character study, Mattie, Loharri, Iolanda, Niobe, Sebastian, the Soul Smoker, the gargoyles, rather than on the workings of the world and such

Quote Originally Posted by Tomau View Post
    I don't know if I'll continue, cause it's an e-book and I really don't like reading of the computer.
    Get yourself eInk ebook reader such as Sony Reader PRS-505

I finished The Man on the Ceiling by Steve Rasnic Tem and Melanie Tem a few days ago. I've been struggling to write my review for it for days. It just didn't work for me.

Now I'm reading Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian C. Esslemont. At 250 pages I can say that it's another good entry in the Malazan world (of which I'm a big fan), but Esslemont still has a ways to go even if this is an improvement over NOK.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finished The Company by KJ Parker.

Full proper review soon, but in short: Good. Typical dark, cynical Parker. Think of it as Lost meets The Italian Job. A little unsettling and there's some troubling ideas in there, but if you like The Engineer Trilogy, I can't see why you won't like it.

Now reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore, due out here in the UK in January 2009. Not particularly deep but fun. Good page turner so far, but perhaps not one you're going to remember too much of afterwards. But we'll see when I've finished it properly.

Mark / Hobbit
    Last edited by Hobbit; September 6th, 2008 at 02:48 AM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Finished The Company by KJ Parker
    What genre is it?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's a stand alone Fantasy.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Uh, Moderator
    I haven't read Parker before but The Company looked like it would really interest me. Looks like I'll have to grab it.

I'm reading The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan. I'm not that far in yet, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I still have high hopes for it though.

Just finished up Bakker's amazing Warrior-Prophet. Wow, what a great book. Love the whole Lear-like fall of Zin, very Gloucester! Next up will be the Thousandfold Thought.....

Just finished Glen Cook's first Black Company omnibus, Chronicles of the Black Company, and I love it!

I now understand what Erikson meant when he said that Cook brought the story down to a human level by dispensing with the cliché fantasy archetypes. And it's obvious Cook was a huge influence behind SE's Bridgeburners.

Perhaps not as groundbreaking today as they were when they were initially published in 1984, the three volumes contained in this omnibus are nonetheless as entertaining as anything you are likely to read this year.

Patrick

Read interesting books
    I finished Drood by Dan Simmons.

Having been very fortunate to have an arc pass through my hands many months before publication, I want to say that Drood is a literary masterpiece that may enshrine Mr. Simmons as one of the top US writers of the present.

The last 5 years of Charles Dickens' life as told in a secret journal by younger disciple, friend and secret rival Wilkie Collins after the tragic train accident that turned Dickens life upside down.

Obsession, artistic creation, addiction and the dark recesses of the human mind and of London of the late 1860's are the main subjects of the book, while the two main protagonists Charles Dickens and the narrator Wilkie Collins will remain with the reader for a long time.

There are so many details and interesting stuff in this novel to satisfy any Dickens or Collins fan, any Victoriana fan, mysteries, magic or the belief in it, underground cults, the genesis of several famous novels, the beginning of authorial public performances, the writer as a celebrity...

Highly, highly recommended and a very engrossing though not a very easy read.

weightless astronaut
    I'm glad to hear that, as I'm very excited to read Drood early next year...

Am currently reading 'Hyperion', having given up on Preston/ Child's 'Thunderhead' halway through.