Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Steampunk fantasy?

So I've read both Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy and China Mieville's Bas Lag series, as well as a few other works mentioned in discussions of fantasy with this sort of setting (Titus Alone by Mervyn Peake and some of Jeff Vandermeer's stories) and I was wondering if anyone could give recommendations for really good fantasy novels with a similar setting?
    Preferably something surreal and a little scary, nothing too humourous. (unless it's dry black humour, which is always fun)

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    There's a Steampunk anthology coming out next year.

Authors often linked to Mieville and Vandermeer are Jeffrey Ford ( easily the best one), KJ Bishop, M. John Harrison, Hal Duncan, Jeffrey Thomas ( Punktown), Jay Lake ( Trial of Flowers) and Ian McLeod ( The Light Ages).

That's a good list to start with.

Try Philip Reeves' Mortal Engines.

I havent read it in years and I believe there's a few sequels now. It's also YA, but if you liked His Dark Materials you're sure to like it.

It's basically about giant motorized cities roaming an apocalyptic landscape, and there's plenty of action and adventure with pirates and airships and all that jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    There's a Steampunk anthology coming out next year.
    Any more details?

There is the Bruce Stirling & William Gibson novel The difference engine, I don't know if you'd consider it fantasy though.

The age of unreason series by Greg Keyes could maybe be considered borderline steampunk.

Perhaps a bit too modern a setting, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Hedrigall

Here's a link, it's edited by the Vandermeers who are also doing the New Weird anthology that comes out in February

http://www.amazon.com/Steampunk-Ann-...8412875&sr=1-1

hm...

hm maybe not s. punk but same feel - gene wolfe - book of the new sun(shadow of the torturer...) l

love those books, really do(s.p. books) - this may be of subject but i haven't found one that i loved nearlly as much as playing fallout and fallout 2 (old games from black isle) ... and i liked watchiong anime like trigun ...

Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    There is the Bruce Stirling & William Gibson novel The difference engine, I don't know if you'd consider it fantasy though.

The age of unreason series by Greg Keyes could maybe be considered borderline steampunk.

Perhaps a bit too modern a setting, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
    I've tried reading some Gibson but I'm not a big fan of his writing style and I have a lot of disagreements with the way he approaches characterization. Same with Gaiman, for that matter.
    I've seen Mr. Keyes' Age of Unreason books lying around and they look very appealing, but I've never gotten around to reading them.

some of my favorite steampunks:

Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers (scary? check. dark humor? check.)
    Shriek, an Afterword, by Jeff Vandermeer (scary? not really. dark humor? not really. very strangly wonderful? for sure.)

for humorous gaslight, try the Girl Genius graphic novel series from Phil & Kaja Folio.

I recently got an ARC of Whitechapel Gods, by S.M. Peters. although the review hasn't been published yet, I believe I can safely say it's one of the best steampunks i've ever read. occasionally sarcastic humor, lots of action, and very scary. it should it bookstores sometime in early spring, look for it.

Girl Genius is great.
    Another entry in the list -
    Mathta Wells with Ile-Rien series.

Not a book, but Casshern: Director's Cut DVD is just so darn cool looking and steam punkish that I thought I'd mention it.

Banned
    How's this for a steampunk fantasy?

HERE

Author of "The Inferior" peadarog's Avatar
    "The Iron Dragon's Daughter", by Michael Swanwick is the very definition of fantasy steam punk. A very twisted book.

I've always been partial to Kim Newman's Anno Dracula. It's obviously a vampire novel and very horrific; can it count as fantasy? It's set in Victorian England (poor Queen Victoria!) so there's got to be steam in there somewhere.

Genre designations confuse me. Call in CatG.