Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Nick, Destroyer of Worlds nick1689's Avatar

Any word from the HBO Game of Thrones TV series?

Hey guys, has anyone heard anything about the upcoming TV series of Martin's series? Is it still even happeneing? Havent heard anything about it recently so I thought I would ask

Esse Quam Videri
    If it is as slow coming as dance with dragons, you may be watching it on your new Sony Holovision System!

hehe

Actually, the last I heard it was to be years into the future.

Yeah they (HBO people) have been "talking about it" for years upon years...I'm actually re-reading the books because the new one is to be upon us soon!

I believe that the script for the pilot has been written- not sure if its been submitted to HBO or not. TV shows do take a long time to make- especially ones that are going to have to be as detailed and expensive as ASoIaF.

The pilot was written and completed a few months back. GRRM was very happy with it and had very few notes or changes he wanted made. It was then submitted to HBO who are now considering it. Either they'll send it back to be rewritten or will greenlight it straight away, or they'll sit on it and ponder it and the possibly huge budget for some months to come.

So it's all in HBO's hands now. They could announce it as a project tomorrow or they could stay silent about it for six months and either greenlight it or ditch it.

If GRRM likes it, then I do! Now I really want that greenlight. Thanks for the info.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    That first version was low quality, and missing some stuff that was actually aired on TV.

Here is a LONGER, 12-MINUTE version of the video. It also includes our first look at Tyrion, speaking dialogue in character!

ChrisW, you should know better than to post massive spoilers without a spoiler tag.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What ever. If people are reading this thread that haven't read the book then they deserve what they get. Tell someone who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    What ever. If people are reading this thread that haven't read the book then they deserve what they get. Tell someone who cares.
    REBEL.

Well, philosophically, Ned Stark is the center of the series. Everything is about his creed and how people break from that creed or adhere to it, and how he and the others may have broken from it in the past.

I'm not thrilled that they're doing the usual downplaying the fantasy aspect thing, but then we may get a few glimpses of zombies and dragons once the CGI is more advanced. And they've got the actors mouthing the usual it's not really fantasy or it's more than fantasy, or it's fantasy but also realistic cant. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter can be some of the most successful movie series ever, The Walking Dead can be a huge hit on t.v. just yesterday, but the marketing people will still be in a panic when they have to sell a SFF story.

I'm also not wild about the platinum hair. It's too wiggy looking. But other than that, visually, it's pretty gorgeous.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    My overall impressions are very positive. A few things look different than I imagined (the carved face in the weirwood was strange, and seems to be getting a similar reaction from many people), but Tyrion was great, Ned is great, Jon and all the other Stark children are perfect! Littlefinger and Varys look awesome! Renly looks strange, kind of disappointing (nearly shaved head, scruffy facial hair), and the lack of maester chains and scarcity of heraldry is too bad. Surprisingly, I think I was most impressed by Viserys in this preview. Hearing the line "sweet sister" felt straight out of the book, and Harry Lloyd's delivery was fantastic!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    REBEL.
    No, that was me playing nice. I wouldn't be here still if I'd written what I was actually thinking

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    No, that was me playing nice. I wouldn't be here still if I'd written what I was actually thinking
    So... cowardly rebel?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    That first version was low quality, and missing some stuff that was actually aired on TV.

Here is a LONGER, 12-MINUTE version of the video. It also includes our first look at Tyrion, speaking dialogue in character!

ChrisW, you should know better than to post massive spoilers without a spoiler tag.
    oh MY GOD

Thanks for posting that! Incredible. I can't believe I have to wait 4 months for that to start. The character/actor selection looks great for the most part. Even though Cersei is suppose to be the most beautiful woman in the 7 Kingdoms and that actress surely wasn't that. But she looks like a great actress from what they showed, which is more important.

So pumped right now

For the Australians out there, the series will be airing on Showcase for Foxtel and Austar in July 2011, according to the show's resident Australian actor Conan Stevens (who plays Gregor Clegane).