Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    The problem is the breath and scope of the story line. Condensing that down into a project for the TV is not an easy task. That and the fact that there really is no demonstrable reason to the story line that woudl appeal to the masses... No hero figure..who doesn't get killed, to many random killings for no more than someone was in someones elses way...things like that. HBO kicked it out, but that doesn't mean another could take it and make it work...

Quote Originally Posted by Physics Knight View Post
    Disney Ice and Fire?
    They could make it their next skating show, Disney on Ice and Fire.

Nick, Destroyer of Worlds nick1689's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mystar View Post
    Actually, I was talking to a friend at TOR today, the TV/mini-series deal for ASOIAF fell through. HBO decided not to take it and the production company was said to have discontinued with the option In other words, they backed out. I was truly looking forward to seeing how this would be adapted to cinema.

It is a pretty reliable source, but like any only time will tell

Hopefully someone else will be able to pick it up...
    Noo! Ah well. But wouldnt GRRM announce it on his website?

Quote Originally Posted by nick1689 View Post
    Noo! Ah well. But wouldnt GRRM announce it on his website?
    I doubt it...we hardly ever see anyone post negitive news like that.

As I said, it could be picked up by someone else.

GRRM does post when some of his licensed deals don't work out, as did Robert Jordan with the Red Eagle comics debacle.

Nick, Destroyer of Worlds nick1689's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    GRRM does post when some of his licensed deals don't work out, as did Robert Jordan with the Red Eagle comics debacle.
    Well then there is still hope I guess..!

Quote Originally Posted by mystar View Post
    The problem is the breath and scope of the story line. Condensing that down into a project for the TV is not an easy task. That and the fact that there really is no demonstrable reason to the story line that woudl appeal to the masses... No hero figure..who doesn't get killed, to many random killings for no more than someone was in someones elses way...things like that. HBO kicked it out, but that doesn't mean another could take it and make it work...
    This is pretty daft reasoning. Have you never watched HBO? You're pretty much describing The Sopranos, Rome and Deadwood to a T.

The fact that the Writer's Strike has halted all work on the Sword of Truth mini-series until it is resolved wouldn't be behind this sudden 'revelation', would it?

Quote Originally Posted by nick1689 View Post
    Well then there is still hope I guess..!
    Given that Mystar's previous reports of 'friends' at Tor have been somewhat exaggerated, than yes there is. And Tor have absolutely nothing to do with the project. It's between GRRM, Bantam and HBO

I mentioned Mystar's 'news' to a source closely related to GRRM. Their reaction follows, heavily edited lest I get booted off SFFWorld.

who would believe or write anything based on third hand information from a person supposedly connected to a publishing house that is not publishing the original source material?

A total load of steaming toxic pig censored.

Publishers only get involved with a movie/tv production if there's going to be a big promotional campaign that's going to cross over between the studio and the publishing house. TOR has nothing to do with the ASoI&F series. Now, if these rumours were based on a WILD CARDS film project, one would have to pause for a moment and consider the source. But TOR is not the publisher of ASoI&F, Bantam Spectra is, and the chasm between the SF publishing world and Hollywood studios is deep, wide and vast.

We have not heard anything, anything at all, about the current status of the option and possible pilot at HBO. We do know that HBO has a pilot script for AGOT, and that several layers of studio 'suits' have liked what they've seen so far. As Ran pointed out, with the current WGA strike and looming strikes by the other creative unions, few, if any, new projects can be confirmed right now, and it is unlikely studios will start filming new projects until the outcome of the strike(s) is determined. Usually what happens is the WGA takes it on the chin, and then the following guilds say "we'll have what the WGA had, only with extra pickles" and all is good in Hollywood and production schedules fill up once again. Yes, the studios are taking this opportunity to dump various development deals with indy producers and writers. There is NO indication that HBO is trying to dump the HBO project at this time.

There is a possibility that HBO could 'greenlight' pre-production. But no work on polishing the pilot script or working on creating following episodes/show bibles/anything to do with writing more on a ASoI&F series for HBO can be done under present circumstances. Still, it's further along than much of its competition at HBO, having a completed pilot script, and at least some pre-production could conceivably happen, or at least be ready to start once the strike was settled.

Did (the source) even try to find a second source for his 'news'? Does he understand what happens when a literary work is optioned and then is adapted for a film or tv series? I don't think so, and I resent him attempting to spread unfounded rumours, if not outright confabulations, about a project he can know nothing about.

Why does Mystar find it necessary to lie about such things? Do you think it's because he enjoys the reaction, or is it because he wants us all to think he's got "connections" in the publishing world? I wish he would just stick to defending Goodkind, and stop making up stuff about other authors.

Ahh man, thats funny stuff. Thanks for getting the real information, Wert.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    This is pretty daft reasoning. Have you never watched HBO? You're pretty much describing The Sopranos, Rome and Deadwood to a T.

The fact that the Writer's Strike has halted all work on the Sword of Truth mini-series until it is resolved wouldn't be behind this sudden 'revelation', would it?

Given that Mystar's previous reports of 'friends' at Tor have been somewhat exaggerated, than yes there is. And Tor have absolutely nothing to do with the project. It's between GRRM, Bantam and HBO

donno where you get your info, but You've oviously no clue as to what's going on with the SOT mini-series... as in you've no source... No writers have even been hired as of yet....gezzzz if you'er gonna spout stuff at least have a clue!

As for TOR having notihng what so ever to do with GRRM....uhm..? Who said they did?

But as you should wel know the "fantasy" world of publishing is a small world and news does get around. Lunch between two friends of the publishing world makes for lots of idol talk....etc... again get yer facts in line buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    I mentioned Mystar's 'news' to a source closely related to GRRM. Their reaction follows, heavily edited lest I get booted off SFFWorld.
    Well, then spill your source.... Actually you can't because it's not sourced

No writers have even been hired as of yet
    Indeed, and they cannot be until the writer's strike is over, which is now looking like after Christmas at the earliest.

As for TOR having notihng what so ever to do with GRRM....uhm..? Who said they did?
    Then why does anything that anyone from Tor says have any relevance to the situation? Even Bantam, who directly publish ASoIaF itself, are not directly involved in negotiations with HBO at this time and won't get involved until the series is on its way and they can start looking at publishing tie-in editions of the novel and helping with publicity etc.

Well, then spill your source.... Actually you can't because it's not sourced
    Certainly, the source is GRRM's girlfriend, Parris, who I imagine will be slightly better informed as to the situation than you are. You can verify this with Ran on the Westeros boards, and that she has given permission to quote her.

Fair is fair, so who is your source, then?

The idea that any TV company would 'cancel' an option rather than let it just lapse is highly implausible, and ASoIaF's option is current until about August or September of 2008.

Personally I'm really happy that HBO has taken on this immense project.. I have much more confidence in HBO seeing deals through than I have for say FOX networks... Fox cancelled my all time favorite Tv-show firefly even though it had a HUGE fanbase.... I just hope HBO realises what an immense moneymaker they are sitting on and that they decide to air Asoiaf.

Because in the end.... It all boils down to how much money HBO will make on the series. They don't give a rats arse about the fanbase as long as it is large enough to give nice ratings=)

Ah Mystar. . .

No matter what board you're on, ever the troll, eh!?!

Patrick