Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OK: so we have two members with a difference of opinion, one who has named his source and the other a rumour from an unnamed source.

Before this gets highly personal, I'm going to point out to all concerned that personal attacks are not acceptable at SFFWorld.

It is pretty clear though that rumours without substance are just that; I would hate to think that SFFWorld would be a source of such rumourmongering, though there are times when our speculation does step close to the edge.

Comments made with the deliberate intention of stirring up trouble though are a different matter altogether. Members have been banned for such actions in the past.

Let's try not to have to have me take that action, eh?

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mystar View Post
    The problem is the breath and scope of the story line. Condensing that down into a project for the TV is not an easy task. That and the fact that there really is no demonstrable reason to the story line that woudl appeal to the masses... No hero figure..who doesn't get killed, to many random killings for no more than someone was in someones elses way...things like that. HBO kicked it out, but that doesn't mean another could take it and make it work...
    What are these 'random killings' from people getting in each others' way anyway? All the major deaths are huge turning points in the plot as far as I remember. No heroes? What? How much have you read? It looks like you're just trying to disguise your gloating here.

You also completely ignored Wert's point about other adult HBO shows being very similar in tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    OK: so we have two members with a difference of opinion, one who has named his source and the other a rumour from an unnamed source.

Before this gets highly personal, I'm going to point out to all concerned that personal attacks are not acceptable at SFFWorld.

It is pretty clear though that rumours without substance are just that; I would hate to think that SFFWorld would be a source of such rumourmongering, though there are times when our speculation does step close to the edge.

Comments made with the deliberate intention of stirring up trouble though are a different matter altogether. Members have been banned for such actions in the past.

Let's try not to have to have me take that action, eh?

Hobbit

I quite agree!

As I said, I hope it is picked up by someone, only time will tell.

I quite agree!

As I said, I hope it is picked up by someone, only time will tell.
    What exactly is it that you agree upon? Because it sounds like you're still sticking to your ridiculous and unfounded claim.

Whilst the support is appreciated, Myshkin, I think it's probably best to avoid inflaming the situation any further. The true facts are now out there and people can draw their own conclusions from what GRRM's representatives are saying rather than some random guy on the Internet hearing second-hand rumours from people not even involved in the situation. I'm chalking this one up to a genuine misunderstanding rather than malice.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    Whilst the support is appreciated, Myshkin, I think it's probably best to avoid inflaming the situation any further. The true facts are now out there and people can draw their own conclusions from what GRRM's representatives are saying rather than some random guy on the Internet hearing second-hand rumours from people not even involved in the situation. I'm chalking this one up to a genuine misunderstanding rather than malice.
    You're right, of course.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I just want to say that, as a long time member of this forum, I have long relied on Werthead's GRRM-related info; it has been timely and always accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    I just want to say that, as a long time member of this forum, I have long relied on Werthead's GRRM-related info; it has been timely and always accurate.
    Second that, and I'm (kind of) a newb!

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post

No malace at all.

I was polite and quite frank.

While I understand it GRRM's GF may offer her opinion, we also have to understand her possable reluctance(sp) to let out the fact that it did in fact get dropped....and perhaps having dinner with several agents in New York and jabbering about projects and books my information could also be rhumor heard and passed along.

~shrugs~

So what?

I was simply stating what I was privy to. I also said I hoped it would be picked up....if in fact that was the case.

There is no need to insult or attack me for simply discusing my thoughts. We can be civilized and polite, or at least I can...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Werts a GRRM fanboi and Mystar is a Goodkind fanboi. Both are biased.

The end

And Chris is apparently an Avril Levigne fan"boi" lol

While I understand it GRRM's GF may offer her opinion, we also have to understand her possable reluctance(sp) to let out the fact that it did in fact get dropped....and perhaps having dinner with several agents in New York and jabbering about projects and books my information could also be rhumor heard and passed along.
    ~shrugs~

So what?

I was simply stating what I was privy to. I also said I hoped it would be picked up....if in fact that was the case.

There is no need to insult or attack me for simply discusing my thoughts. We can be civilized and polite, or at least I can...
    Any your sources were wrong. We have word from as close as we are going to get it from GRRM what the score is. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    Werts a GRRM fanboi and Mystar is a Goodkind fanboi. Both are biased.
    Someone was passing along comments that were not true. I'd make the same complaint if they were making them about Erikson, Jordan, Bakker or any other author.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If it wasn't mystar who posted it or if it hadn't been about GRRM would you have been as quick to jump all over the person?

You might defend other authors or question people posting inaccurate stuff but I doubt with as much venom or anger as in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    If it wasn't mystar who posted it or if it hadn't been about GRRM would you have been as quick to jump all over the person?

You might defend other authors or question people posting inaccurate stuff but I doubt with as much venom or anger as in this thread.
    You're right, if this were any one other than mystar the response would probably have been different. But you have to understand that this is not the first time, nor will it be the last time, that mystar has posted erroneous information for no better reason than to illicit a negative reaction. Mystar knew what he was doing when he posted his so called inside information, and he knew what the response would be.

I respectfully disagree that Werthead's responses consisted of "venom or anger." Where was he mean or vindictive? He answered every assertion and challenge. He provided background, context, and current information on the state of HBO's ASOIAF. Then he asked for answers in return. I would not consider that jumping all over someone.

Yes, Werthead described Mystar's reasoning that GRRM's story is too difficult to bring to the screen as "daft." But as Werthead showed, according to that reasoning most of the current and recent HBO shows would never have been made... not to mention other series like Band of Brothers, Shogun, or Roots. At best, I'd call that reasoning unsound or unrealistically pessimistic.

I personally do not know Werthead, but I've seen him post online for three years or so now. I do know that he has a great interest in ASOIAF. I do not know Mystar nor his posting habits. But I'd expect Werthead to come to the defense of ASOIAF against negative rumormongering.

Edit: As of 2/12/08 the writer's strike is over. I assume HBO will soon be making progress...