Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    You are correct. However, the situation is tht HBO apprently want to make a grand costume-based drama as their replacement for Rome and Deadwood, but not to have it as cripplingly expensive. So they are either going to make ASoIaF or this King Arthur series. If they comission the King Arthur series, we know ASoIaF is off the table for at least as long as that series runs. In a way, it would be a relief to know this for sure so that everyone can move on and not worry about it for a few more years.

Of course, they could have also simply 'shelved' ASoIaF for the duration of them looking at the King Arthur series before making a final decision.

Or someone could simply be posting falsified, unsourced information for malicious intent and ASoIaF remains in development, which is still the official position.

My sadness is that there's innocents out there who think this guy might actually know something about a project he has no connection to and cannot be getting any 'rumors' from a source at TOR, or this alleged 'convention' where he met with 'agents'. Which agents? Who at TOR? Should I ask Patrick and Tom who would be spreading such false rumors?

here's the unofficial update as of this evening:

The option is still in effect. HBO and the production company are both keeping a tight lid on whatever is or is not happening concerning the project. We remain hopeful, but George's focus is not on Hollywood, it's on completing DANCE, so whatever happens out there, happens. He's got a novel to write.

"options", Lets be a bit clear on this fact, I didn't say the "Option" expired or didn't renew etc. I said I was told they shelved....it is dead in the water...didn’t fit what they were looking for…for now... And it would appear that I am correct. Both Paris and Adam seem to be saying the same thing. HBO is looking another direction. An “Option” simply means that person/company owns the right to keep others from acting or buying what has been optioned. I think Martin would agree that thousands upon thousands of books are optioned al the time, and they never come to fruition. Still some move past being optioned
    actually make it to the script phase…then die….and still yet others are shot and the people look over what it is they have and decide it isn’t what they want, then kill it.

The vaults are chocked full of “projects” that will never see the light of day. Goodkind’s series may well yet bite the dust. But just because you seem to derive some kind of sadistic pleasure maligning Goodkind or me, do not allow yourself to get confused with your distaste for me cloud the windows of reality. What is sad is trying to pump life/hype into something to string people along when nothing has or is happening. I understand the desire to see a pet project achieve its desired goal.

I think the desire is to vilify me wert...for what ever reason. As I have said in past posts. I have nothing against GRRM (Quite a nice and well spoken guy), or his works. The fact that they do not appeal to me is irrelevant. I have never spoken ill of Martin or his works, simply that they don't appeal to me in large part. Some of my closest friends along with several of my admins are avid fans and I'm all for seeing my friends happy.

But, that does not mean spreading false hope or stringing anyone along. I passed along what I was told, what I came across etc. You seriously err if you think I pass along information I hear or that this is done in a malicious manor or of any manor of vindictiveness.

So lets keep it civil shall we. I man you really don’t do Martin and good turn continuing to bash mock or otherwise ridicule…. It really is just bad form and makes you look bad. I also happen to know for a fact Martin wishes it to stop.

Oh, I also never mentioned TOR as my reference[s]. Please do try and stop placing words into my mouth. I'm a very picky eater...

Seriously dude...relax...breath.... No one is stepping on your "toes" or calling into question your sincerity of fandom.

To be clear on the subject:

The series has not been shelved. It remains in development at this time. It may very well be dropped in favour of the competing King Arthur series (or both may be dropped), but that decision has not been taken yet and likely won't be for the next couple of months at least.

The rest is simple propaganda. Mystar came onto this forum - twice - attempting to talk down the proposed ASoIaF TV adaption and spread lies about it. I'm not sure why, when the previous 'conflict' between fans of certain authors had died down to their lowest levels in two or three years, that Mystar is attempting to stir it up again.

That Mystar has no solid source of information should be blatantly obvious: a 'source' at Tor told him the series was dead on 8 November (although apparently he's forgotten about that ); a 'source' at HBO told him the series was dead (again) four weeks ago. Yet the latest news from GRRM directly is that the project is ongoing. Frankly, I'd trust GRRM's word over that of Mystar's any day of the week. And accusing GRRM's partner, an extremely well-respected person in SF fandom, of spreading false information is extremely unwise if he wants to be taken seriously.

To sum up, any further developments on the HBO television adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire, good or bad, will come from GRRM on his website or on his blog, or on HBO's website, or through David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the writer-producers of the project. Any further 'facts' that Mystar presents about this project should be disregarded.

Well crap, this is the first I've even heard of ASOIF possibly becoming an HBO show. Damn, that's something I would probably have to order HBO just to watch.

As much as this fight is amusing, I really just want to hear if it's going to happen or not and nobody's going to know for sure until there's something official stated.

What do we know about this King Arthur series that HBO is considering?(All be it..I'm not well read in King Arthur literature) Is it going to be about the war lord king of the dark ages..? That is thought to be closer to being the true/historical fact based story of King Arthur, or is it going to be the more fictional..fanciful King Arthur setting with more of a high middle ages feel to it...? In any case it sounds interesting..Even though I'm hoping they go with the ASOIAF option.

Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    Indeed they can. The option will run for a specific length of time whether they decide to make the series or not. But I guess if they've gone cold they won't renew... not sure if they can sell the option on to other interested parties but I wouldn't be surprised.

NOM

Other companies have been interested in the option in the past. However, GRRM went with HBO because of their proven track record, prinipally due to the excellent work they did with Rome, Deadwood and Band of Brothers. Also, among television companies only HBO has the record of dishing out the budgets an adaption of ASoIaF would require: Rome had over $150 million spent on its two seasons totalling 23 episodes, which is an insane amount of money for a TV show (the 24-episode first season of Lost only cost about $70-75 million by comparison).

In the last year or so, HBO have started moving away from their mega-budget productions and other companies, like Showtime, have shown signs of moving into the gap and doing similar things. Also, the ASoIaF TV project is the 'baby', so to speak, of two guys - Weiss and Benioff - who are very much considered 'hot property' in Hollywood at the moment. If HBO does pass, Weiss and Benioff have indicated they'll carry on trying to get the project made elsewhere.

If the option runs out, the rights automatically revert to the original copyright-holder, in this case GRRM, and he and his agent can try to sell it again to another company.

As for the King Arthur project, I'd imagine that HBO would be going for the more realistic 'n' gritty option. What would be awesome is if it's based on Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles Trilogy, but sadly that is not the case.

Wert I think you're right..It'll be gritty if it's on HBO.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I have to agree with Werthead. This mystar person rarely posts on the forum, and only seems to pop up at odd times, to provide very sketchy (and likely false) "information" about Martin's work (particularly regarding the HBO series).

The fact is, its all talk. Wert is only offering up his desires and wishes. Paris has also said in short form, nothing is happening, as does wert...
    ~shrugs~

That's pretty much all I said as well...

The fact that I've heard the same thing from "outside" Paris and wert, i sonly confirming the fact that its just been (the project) laying there, and no one has done anything on it or with it.

As I said, poor wert seems to want to vilify me for stating the obvious. As I have said in the past I've no bone to pick and have no desire either way. If it gets made, cool! if not...so what... I really don't have a care either way.

But before you go off calling me a trouble maker or a liar, I would think you should offer up more proof that just the word of Martins GF, who has a dog in that hunt, and would hate to disapoint their fans...and, as we have seen in werts own post quoting her.... basicly just said the same tihng I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Correct me if i'm wrong but HBO could shelf the project and still hold the option to make it and just because they have not told GRRM directly doesn't mean some people in the know wouldn't talk about it.
    Exactly! But, no its not a "spat", at least on my part. I've done no finger pointing, name calling or otherwise talk trash, unlike.... I have no desire to be vilified. I simply stated what I've been told and heard.

Quote Originally Posted by werthead
    Of course, they could have also simply 'shelved' ASoIaF for the duration of them looking at the King Arthur series before making a final decision.
    Which is what I passed along, again no "malicious intent" in anyway, so please do stop trying to pick a fight. As I have stated in a previous post, I for one do hope the project will go forward,, not for me but for some of my friends who are avid fans. I never watch HBO or any TV really for that matter, but some of my closest friends are and do....so I woudl love to see it move ahead... but I also am not one who will delude myself with false hope of wishful thinking. I much prefer the clarity of reality.

Only time will tell...but please wert, I would ask that you try and refrain from picking a fight. I've no desire and I've done nothing but pass along what I've heard, again which fits with what you posted. No activity=tabled...for now...and activity in another direction (that being Author), also means the project has not gone any further...

How is
    Quote Originally Posted by mystar View Post
    Actually, HBO isn't even considering it any longer. It was shelved four weeks ago.
    saying the same thing as,
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead
    Just received this response from Parris, which is quoted with her permission (but the bolded emphasis is mine):

My sadness is that there's innocents out there who think this guy might actually know something about a project he has no connection to and cannot be getting any 'rumors' from a source at TOR, or this alleged 'convention' where he met with 'agents'. Which agents? Who at TOR? Should I ask Patrick and Tom who would be spreading such false rumors?

here's the unofficial update as of this evening:

The option is still in effect. HBO and the production company are both keeping a tight lid on whatever is or is not happening concerning the project. We remain hopeful, but George's focus is not on Hollywood, it's on completing DANCE, so whatever happens out there, happens. He's got a novel to write.

Yes, you can quote me if need be.
    or to quote Mystar again:

Quote Originally Posted by Mystar
    That's pretty much all I said as well...
    How is what Werthead said the same thing mystar said?

Something being shelved means it is dead in the water without an option still in effect.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Something being shelved means it is dead in the water without an option still in effect.

Is that the industry definition or yours? Yours sound more like canning a project. Mine would be the one wert used ie. all projects were shelved during writers strike. Meaning they still had an option they just weren't choosing to use it.

whatever the definitions of what "shelved" means, mystar and wert were saying completely different things in their posts.

Forgive me if this question has already been answered...But when will HBO decide??

Quote Originally Posted by rloomis View Post
    Forgive me if this question has already been answered...But when will HBO decide??
    When HBO wants to

The option I believe is current until the latter part of this year. If the project is greenlit before then, they don't have to shell out more money to keep the option going. If they decide not to do it, they won't suddenly announce "ASoIaF is dead," they'll just let the option expire and won't renew it. At which point GRRM's agent takes the option and Benioff and Weiss' work to another company to see if they are interested (perhaps not the exact pilot script though; depending on the legalities involved, that may remain HBO's property and they may have to write another version).

Of course, based on prior information, if the Arthur series is greenlit, it'll probably be safe to assume that ASoIaF will not be made by HBO in the near future even before their option on ASoIaF runs out.

A few other things to bear in mind are that HBO may decide to wait until ADWD comes out to measure the series' popularity (I get the impression - and may be way off - that it was AFFC hitting Number 1 on the NYT bestseller list that attracted HBO's interest, along with the rep of the writing team) before committing enormous resources to the project. Given that won't be until the end of this year at the earliest, they may decide to renew the option to retain the freedom to move into production should they wish.