The Death of the necromancer - Martha Wells

Anyone read this book. I'm thinking about ordering the whoole series and want to hear your thoughts - good, bad ,worth reading?

I really enjoyed the book. If you're into mystery books that contain their fair share of action you'll not be dissapointed. Great book! I havn't gotten around to reading the rest of the series yet though.

Agreed.

Another concurrence. Interesting setting, characters, and plot, written with Wells's usual craftsmanlike style. Definitely worth the trip.
    Last edited by Erfael; September 16th, 2008 at 09:41 AM.

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    This book didn't really grab me. It was several years ago but if i remember correctly i was really unimpressed with the world building, the "mystery" was too obvious and the characters were pretty flat and not likable.

Death of the Necromancer is one of my favorite fantasy novels. Part fantasy, part 19th century adventure and romance story. Great fun and a book I certainly recommend.

About ordering the whole series. Death of the Necromancer stands well alone. Wells later returned to Ile-Rien but the new trilogy (Ships of the Air, etc ) are set 20 years later so I would start reading Necromancer first. If you don't like Death o/t Necromancer it's very unlikely you will want to read the sequels.

As a matter of fact Death of the Necromancer is the second novel Wells wrote about Ile-Rien. The first book (Element of Fire) was written back in 1993 and is set more than 100 years before Death of the Necromancer. Not a bad book but out of print and very difficult to find.

Not uniform.

Death of the Necromancer stands well alone. Wells later returned to Ile-Rien but the new trilogy (Ships of the Air, etc ) are set 20 years later so I would start reading Necromancer first.

One man's opinion: Necromancer and its predecessor Element of Fire are pretty good books; but the "Fall" books seemed (sorry to say it this way) a falling-off. The first isn't bad, though not (I think) up to the first two; but after that it becomes routine or worse.

As always, this message will self-destruct in 10 seconds (or less).

I read this book years ago and enjoyed. I liked the direction she took in The Wizard Hunters, but never managed to get back to the series after that book.

Read interesting books
    Just finished Elements of Fire - the revised 06 edition is available for free online at the author' site and I started on Death, though I think I will finish Painted Man or Darkland first since I want to alternate with something more modern in tone

I intend to read all 5 Ile-Rien books and maybe her standalone in time since I liked Elements and Death of the Necromancer starts in the same vein.

They are "typical" pre-new-epic_fantasists - now after Lynch, Abercrombie, Rothfuss and so on, those books seem old fashioned - adventure, light, obvious in how it will turn out at least Elements, with very clear good guys, very clear bad guys, but I am enjoying the style and I like the characters so far, both those in Elements and the new ones in Death.

So try the free Elements and if you like the style the book is for you, but do not expect anything unusual, original... Still a very enjoyable read and recommended.