Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fringe

Quote Originally Posted by The Master™ View Post
    fringe was good in the first season or two, but after that it kind of went the way of most US fantasy series... it got confusing and silly...

threshold did the same thing... so did quantum leap... so did the 4400...

Yep. I dont understand the low standards people have for coherence in TV shows. Hardly anyone on this forum would tolerate it in a book.

I am enjoying Grimm right now because the over-arching plot is so low key that it hopefully wont matter for a while if its incoherent.

Same thing with Haven (is that coming back?) -- shows where the overarching plot is less important can hold me longer, because it takes them longer to screw it up.

I am also big fan of this show too. According to me this is the best show i ever watched. I have watched 3 seasons of this show and i like this show.

I like Fringe too. The wife and I have been watching the reruns on Science channel. It's a good show.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And I've just watched the final episode. Of the final series.

I know some have said that it was predictable. Whilst I would agree, for me it was the only way it could end. It was a genuinely emotional experience, for me. I can't think of another recent TV series that I have been as emotionally attached to. It was exciting, scary, messy, and yet right. I'm so pleased that the series has been given a 'proper' ending, one that made sense, that did use things from previous episodes and seasons to come up with a coherent ending.

Yes: there were cliches, there were plot holes, there were things that may not be the way I/we wanted it. But it was good, with way more hits than misses.

And in the end, characters that I cared about, that I wanted to be entertained by. Fringe has been a series that has outgrown its X-File-surrogate beginnings and become a series that at times pushed things, dared to make viewers think, and made my jaw drop on more than one occasion. The acting was subtle, emotional and awesome.

There is no other recent SF series like it that I know of.

I miss it already, enormously.
    Mark

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    I hadn't realized that I had started this thread till I got Hobbits reply in my email this morning. I have loved this show for all five years it has been on and though at times I would say WTH? it really never let me down. Just finished the last episodes. Hobbit has it perfectly and no way could I improve on it. I loved the way they ended it and didn't shy away from what could have upset many people. It was the only way. And yes my eyes were leaking pretty constantly the last 45 min but what can I say, I love these characters. Maybe I should start investing in the DVD sets.

Blog Entries
    Hobbit has it perfectly and no way could I improve on it.
    Thanks, sic's mom. If not 'perfect', then at least heartfelt. It's been an interesting journey over five seasons. (I would recommend those DVD sets, btw, if only to hear John Noble speak with his usual Australian accent!)
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Thanks, sic's mom. If not 'perfect', then at least heartfelt. It's been an interesting journey over five seasons. (I would recommend those DVD sets, btw, if only to hear John Noble speak with his usual Australian accent!)
    John Noble is a genius. Great series, good ending. Bums me out we barely have 2 pages of thread here discussing one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

Way Too Human
    I really liked Fringe. It filled a whole left by the ending of the X-Files series.

However I don't think the last season was as good as the previous. In fact, the main reason I watched the final season was because of the acting and the desire to see how the characters reacted to what was happening to them....and to see how it ended of course. It was a great show and I wonder what will fill it's "shoes".

In part because of Mark's heartfelt words on the series finale, I've starting watching Fringe again. I had originally only watched a few episodes of season 1. I couldn't remember where I left off so I started at the beginning of season 2 (I'll go back to 1 again after I finish). I am enjoying the series immensely. Right now I'm just about midway through season 3 and it's fantastic television. As saintjon said, John Noble is a genius. He's an amazing actor. The stories are great, and the writers are putting on a clinic on how to successfully juggle multiple (and varying sized) story arcs. Great stuff!

Blog Entries
    Very pleased you're enjoying it, Dan. It gets better and better IMO. There's the odd misstep, but then in each series there's a curveball that just makes you go "Wha...?"

Keep us going with the updates. The "FRINGE has finished" Support Group is over here, ready for any help it may provide.
    Mark

Registered User SisterChristian's Avatar
    After being a big fan of Fringe for the first few seasons, I was very disappointed by the last season. I liked Fringe more as a kind of procedural show with more or less independent episodes and the occasional multi-episode story arc and didn't care much for how they started handling things after a while.
    But, IMHO, the last season was by far the worst. I didn't care for the time jump and I also couldn't get over the general sappiness of the whole season. I can hardly remember the story line from the last season because of the dominance of the emotional scenes (90 % were completely unnecessary). And I missed Lincoln (Seth Gabel).