Question Books similar to the Final Fantasy series!?

Dear all,

I am very passionate about fantasy and sci-fi, especially the Final Fantasy computer game series made by Square for the Playstation, in particular Final Fantasy 7. As well as playing fantasy and sci-fi games I enjoy reading it too and am a fan of Lord of the Rings. But even LOTR doesn’t quench my thirst for fantasy like playing FF7 did. I want to find stories similar to that of the Final fantasy epics. Similar plot, characters, magic, creatures, vehicles, weapons, basically everything Final Fantasy. I had a brief look in Waterstones and found Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, which is the nearest to what I am looking for that I had been able to find so far. However, I know there will be more out there that better suits or even (hopefully) matches or nearly matches what I am after.

Are there any novels out there that the writers of Final Fantasy took inspiration or influence from when making/writing the games?

Are there any novels out there that took inspiration or influence from Final Fantasy??

Are there any stories out there that are similar to the stories and events in any of the Final Fantasy games?? ??

Thanks guys

Oddly, I was just discussing on another board how events in The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson seem to be reminiscent of events in the Final Fantasy games, so that may be worth a look.

hmmm...that is a difficult question because the worlds in the various final fantasy games are so diverse; many go from being typical fantasy to what I would consider steampunk.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane19 View Post
    hmmm...that is a difficult question because the worlds in the various final fantasy games are so diverse; many go from being typical fantasy to what I would consider steampunk.
    I know. They are well diverse, but I dont expect to find one book/story containing much of all of they just hoping to find books with a lot of characteristics of them. I hope most of all to find one that nearly matches the story and events of FF7 tho, I can only dream!!

Could you expand on what the meaning of 'steampunk' is please man?
    Last edited by smudge; October 1st, 2008 at 01:23 AM.

I think I asked this same question for a longtime. My fantasy reading was unusual in that it wasnt a book that got me interested in fantasy but that damn final fantasy VII. (Thereby ruining my chances of ever having normal interests). From there it was on to chrono cross and other rpg's. After my first or second playthrough of VII i began to think how cool all that seemed, and picked up some wheel of time from the library.

I still think VII is probably the greatest story ever told in any format, or maybe not the story itself but the presentation of it, the progression, the characters.......(damn nostalgia).

Anyway the books I felt captured the largeness and diversity of the series in my reading are:

Perdido Street Station: Diverse cast, life forms, dealing with themes i think are somewhat similiar to VII in that there are main characters who are trying to find themselves, and are unsure about the world and thier relation to it.

Hyperion: Just a fun book, and far ranging story.

Wheel of time book #3 i forget its name: Rand in all his OP badassness. A really good series up until book6 or 7. Definetly check it out.

Maybe lies of locke lamora and gardens of the moon also, though after book 1 I cant really see many similiarities. (I've only played ff 6-12 so maybe that's it.)

Also werthead WTH. I've been searching for that mysterious and hidden convo of yours for about twenty minutes. You mind dropping a url pretty plz.

Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Could you expand on what the meaning of 'steampunk' is please man?
    Here is an article on steampunk, but I said "what I consider steampunk" which is slightly different since I consider anything with a victorian-ish setting and steam powered technology, regardless of magic being present in it, to be steampunk (example: Howl's Moving Castle). Which may actually being it's own separate sub-genre that I'm not aware of.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobro View Post
    I still think VII is probably the greatest story ever told in any format, or maybe not the story itself but the presentation of it, the progression, the characters.......(damn nostalgia).
    Ah, yesss. Agreed. Cheers to you, Afrobro.