Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm reading the second Scott Lynch book - Red Seas Under Red Skies. Been great so far.

I'll need to get something else as I'm going to the UK for work. Maybe the book club book, Secret History of Moscow?

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Almost finished with K J Parker's "Colours in the Steel" - very good, so i guess the next 2 book in the Fencer trilogy will keep me occupied the rest of the month. I'm somehow surprised how many similarities exists with the engineer trilogy: like the author has some preferred building bricks [seeing people as pieces of a huge mechanism] that it rearranges and reuses to come up with two different plots but with same type of characters in the same kind of moral ambiguity. The major difference so far in the Fencer is the presence of magic : a well implemented system that relies on subtlety and mystery and not on Rand al'Thor fireballs or teleports. Here it's [probably] something to do with telepathy and an awareness of the diffrent possible paths to the future [reminds me of Paul Atreides inner eye]. I've also ordered The Etched city.
    For fun I've read another Christopher Moore romp : "Practical Demonkeeping" - OK, but I liked Stupidest Angel more.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    I've also ordered The Etched city.
    Awesome book is awesome.

Halfway through Evil for Evil by the mysterious Parker at the moment, and it's proving to be just as enjoyable as I remember Devices and Desires to be. Although in this latest one, I don't know if it's just me or not, but i'm detecting a heavy strain of satire and almost self mocking humour in the characters and in the culture's like the Perpetual Republic and the Cure Hardy. I can't remember detecting that in the previous book, although that could just be time fading the details of the first volume.

Also got some Vance and Abraham to look forward to. goody.

I just finished R.A. Salvatore's Paths of Darkness series on the 1st. Well I skipped "Servant of the Shard", for now. I thought the three I read were very good. Obviously I'm a little biased being a big fan and all. The characters went through some big life changes which I personally needed to happen to be satisfied that all their hard work wasn't wasted.

Spoiler:
    Most importantly if Drizzt and Cattie Brie didn't start acting on their feelings I was gonna explode! We women hate wasting romance! Even though he never really explains them acting on it, not that.... just a kiss would have told me enough, come on!

As of this moment I am in the middle of Brisingr!! I am sure I will finish "The Wyrmling Horde"-David Farland and the Earthsea triology by Ursula LeGuin before Nov. I am very excited about LeGuin's books, never heard of her until I watched "The Jane Austin book Club" movie and then when I found this forum (my first about books) I seen that most people loved her.

A customer from work recommended LeGuin's "Left Hand of Darkness" even though its SciFi he said I just had to check it out. So I will try to squeeze that in to. Anyone read that one?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I'm struggling with Daryl Gregory's Pandemonium. This book seemed interesting with a great cover, intriguing synopsis and quite a few professional advance reviews that lauded it as a superb debut in the spec fiction field. I'm not feeling it. It's written in a fairly quick style, but I am finding it very easy to put down and there is not a lot of compulsion to pick it back up again. I'll persevere.

Picked up Jim C Hines Goblin books after Hellions mentioned them in last month's thread.

Wonderfully funny books about a nearsighted, scrawny goblin as he deals with adventurers, magic, and his own bullying, backstabbing, cowardly kind.

I just finished the third book of "The Dwarves" from Marcus Heitz, and a forth coming out this year. It's a german writer, and I read the books in dutch, so I don't know if there's an english edition.
    I really liked those books. The main characters are dwarves (of course) but they aren't totally like the Tolkien ones. Also he let them suffer, die, ... and adds some suprises in his books.
    If you find one of his books, I say, give it a try!

Currently reading The Wolf King (book 3) from Alice Borchardt. Main characters are werewolves and it's situated in the time of Charlemange (mostly in Rome). Though her writing can be better, the story is pretty good (especially The Silver Wolf, book 1), and I really love wolves

Anyone knows other stories with wolves or shapeshifters?

Uh, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion View Post
    I'm struggling with Daryl Gregory's Pandemonium. This book seemed interesting with a great cover, intriguing synopsis and quite a few professional advance reviews that lauded it as a superb debut in the spec fiction field. I'm not feeling it. It's written in a fairly quick style, but I am finding it very easy to put down and there is not a lot of compulsion to pick it back up again. I'll persevere.
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum Mithf - I actually finished it in pretty much one sitting. This, for me, is the debut of the year.
    I'm pretty much the target market for this book - pop culture references, great banter, psychology, alternate history - it even has Phillip K. Dick!
    There were some aspects to this book I really enjoyed - the relationship of (and conversations) between the brothers, the concept ("demons" representing Jungian archetypes randomly possess people), the way the story is set up and the reveals of both the setting and the protagonist. The protagonist has a very modern voice as well, quite sarcastic at times. There re several short inerludes breaking up the main story that do a great job of fleshing out the setting - the O.J. Simpson vignette in particular is quite powerful and effective.

Well written, entertaining, a cracking pace and an imaginative concept will make this one of my top 5 reads for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazhan View Post
    Anyone knows other stories with wolves or shapeshifters?
    Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogy's. Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster Trilogy. Jack Williamson's Darker than you Think also has an interesting premise on shapechanging. Those are the ones that come instantly to mind, i'm sure if you do a search you'll come up with many more suggestions.

I technically read the book in August, but I just posted my review, so here's my review of Caine Black Knife by Matthew Stover, about a week before the book's publication:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob's Review
    After seven years, Matthew Stover brings readers back to Overworld and back to Caine. For readers who enjoyed the previous two novels in what is now dubbed the Acts of Caine sequence but wanted to get more of Caine, Caine Black Knife will be a welcome novel. This novel is all Caine and is a bit of a stylistic and tonal departure from the previous Caine novels. Whereas Stover played with narrative voice and point-of-view in Heroes Die and to a greater extent in Blade of Tyshalle, here the great majority of the novel is told in Caine’s voice in the first person narrative. A very minor portion takes place in the second person narrative, so Stover doesn’t abandon the shifting perspective entirely.
    Back to Caine, though, because Stover really leaves the reader no choice in the matter, which is not a complaint by any means. Because the majority of the novel is told through Caine’s voice and reactions, we as the reader are not given any other option on who to believe or trust. Caine’s POV is the only one and as such, his voice flows and filters the narrative more smoothly than just about any first person narrator this side of Severian of the Guild. The difference here is Severian is explicitly an unreliable narrator, Caine seems more reliable. To paraphrase and sum up the themes of Stover’s work, Caine isn’t trying to sell us anything, he puts his faults and scars on the table for all to view. His voice is frank, direct, and a terrifically engaging one that comes across as, for lack of a more refined term, a very likeable and endearing asshole. Then again, I can say that because I’ve never been on the opposite end of Caine’s frustrations.

Just started reading an Empire in Black and Gold. I'm only about 150 or so pages in and its,meh. There are definately very good ideas in the story. The whole man/insect thing has potential although the book does get a bit confusing in the beginning trying to figure out the man/insect thing. This book would be much better with an appendix.

The plot so far seems kind of bland. An evil empire is spreading throughout the land and its up to small group of people to try and stop this evil empire. Oh, and the small goup of people are the only ones that see this threat for what it is. Hopefully, the story picks up.
    Last edited by ...; October 8th, 2008 at 10:03 AM.

Just finished Vault of Deeds by James Barclay, a very entertaining novella about what happens when the bad guys start beating the heroes and the scribes (who record all events in books dedicated to each hero) are left hanging and waiting for the next batch of heroes to record their deeds.

It's a great read, full of humour and pokes fun at battles, heroes and language. It took me a couple of hours to get through, but I really wish it were longer to enjoy such great storytelling and characters. Highly recommended.

In the middle of Captain's Fury, fourth books of Codex Alera By Jim Butcher. Like the previous books, I enjoyed this one, so far. Battles, monster, lots of action, a little bit love here and there, and of course there is the Furies, just your fantasy books.

Read interesting books
    I finished Blood Ties by P. Freeman and I enjoyed it a lot. Many thanks to Mithfanion who brought it to my attention as similar to The Ways of Shadows since otherwise I would not looked at this one. I ordered the sequel from BD - now is out UK, Nov US - and I should get it by the end of the week, beggining of next week and it's a read on receiving book since the characters grew on me and the writing is beautiful.

The book takes a bit to get into - there are several threads and they connect only late in the book, while the characters have names appropriate to the pastoral setting - Bramble, Ash, Saker - but they are still a little bit silly. The beautiful writing though kept me interested and the book picks up in pace and energy after a while and it became one not be put down for the finale.

As related to The Ways of Shadows - Blood Ties is less of a page turner and not so dark, but it's better written in many ways and also very enjoyable too so read both...

I have been working my way through Novik's Temeraire series. I am nearly at the end of Empire of Ivory by now, and what slowed me down was taking a naughty peek at the ending. Such drastic things make me mad and makes it difficult for me to work up the enthusiasm to read. I had a pleasant break, however, when Abercrombie's Last Argument of Kings arrived at the library. Whenever I get a new book like that at the library, I usually have to make a point to drop everything else and finish it, because I don't have much free time to read and I can easily linger more than the allotted time over a book. However, this one was so incredibly enjoyable that I easily finished it in 4 days. A wonderful ending to an entertaining series. I think the First Law series is unique to me in that all of the characters were unappealing to me, for one reason or another, and yet I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I believe I noticed that some people were upset at the ending, and I can't imagine why. It's the perfect ending, the ending that had to happen.

But back to Novik's Temeraire series: this story reminds me more of SF Space Opera than any other normal fantasy series. Then again, I don't tend to read adventure novels, and the word "adventure" seems to perfectly encapsulate the purpose of the books. I never thought I would so thoroughly enjoy a book about dragons. And wonderfully, I'm also a big fan of history, so the semi-historical nature of the book is additionally appealing to me. I have no real faults with the book, but the conflicts have seemed to have grown more and more depressing over time, with few true and honest victories. I could wish for more lighter and happier moments. I have Victory of Eagles already and I'm sure I'll be starting it by the weekend.

But that's just my paper book reading. Because I've been traveling every weekend for the last 4 weeks, I've also been listening to some audio books. One I've particularly enjoyed is Jean M Auel's Earth's Children series. I've seen these books on the shelf for my entire lifetime, and I've always thought the idea of writing about prehistoric man intriguing, but for some reason (perhaps accurately) I've had the opinion that these were romance novels. Well I'm 2/3 of the way through Clan of the Cave Bear, and so far it seems like a well-researched and engrossing tale. Unlike the aforementioned books, this is not an adventure novel, but I can comfortably consider it fantasy, given the free use of totems and spirits and race memories and telepathy throughout. The story is about Ayla, a Cro-Magnon child who is adopted by a Neanderthal clan, and her attempts to fit in and adapt to her rough environment. I haven't read many books in the prehistoric vein. The most similar novel I can think of is Bernard Cornwell's Stonehenge, but this is a far more well-thought-out book than that one and takes place in a completely different time period as well. All the details are rich but some parts sound as though I'm reading an archaeology book. Nevertheless, I plan to continue reading into the series, at least until it fulfills my fears of turning into a romance novel.