Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    A "Minor Simmons" novel is still pretty damn good. I read Children of the Night a few years ago when I was on a mini-kick for Simmons's writing. I liked it quite a bit and thought his updating of Vampires was enjoyable.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It might just tide me over until Drood; which I have been told by someone who's read it, is amazing.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2209 View Post
    Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files
    Fool Moon (Book 2)
    Grave Peril (Book 3)
    Summer Knight (Book 4)
    Death Masks (Book 5)
    Blood Rites (Book 6)
    Hahah, that's how to down them! Now go for the finisher!

Read The Painted Man today. I liked it. Nothing really original, but it held my attention so much that I failed to do some work and ended up finishing it instead .

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I'm reading two books this month:

The Last Light of the Sun - Guy Gavriel Kay
    . It's good, but once I got to the halfway point, I slowed down for some reason. I plan on getting back into this one soon, because I really like it so far.

The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien. I realized, with much shock, that although I've read the LOTR trilogy six times, I'd only read the Hobbit twice! So I picked it up, and devoured it in two days. Re-visiting Tolkien is such a pleasure for me, and this was no exception (especially since my memory of the Hobbit was much fuzzier than my memory of LOTR). As I've been reading this (the beautiful, new illustrated edition by Alan Lee) I can't help thinking about the upcoming movie (about 3 years away) and how amazing it could be. I keep imagining how certain scenes will play out on the big screen, and I'm getting very excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    [B] I realized, with much shock, that although I've read the LOTR trilogy six times, I'd only read the Hobbit twice! !
    Hi-hi I am one behind you. 5 vs 1

Finished The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. An enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the story of Merlin. Will probably continue the trilogy at some point, but not immediately.

And now for something completely different.

Reading Gardens of the Moon. This is my third try and this time I got into it and am almost half way through (which means I'll finish).

Just finished the Red Wolf Conspiracy and it did not live up to my expectations. The plot was good, but poorly written IMO. It seems like the author was trying to do too much with too few pages. This is one of the times where I wish the author wrote 700-800 pages instead of 400-500. Without giving too much away, the author gives too many plot spoilers. Halfway through the book, you already know how its going to end. All in all though the book did draw me into it and I didn't have to fight to finish the book. Hopefully, the sequel will improve upon the failings of this book.

Read interesting books
    I finished The Fire by K. Neville, the long-awaited and better not to have been written sequel to her groundbreaking novel The Eight that launched historical thrillers to the popularity of today.

Being more of an associational novel than fantasy I placed my mini-review in the Non-genre forum, link below, but this is my short take:

"The Fire has the same light tone and page turning style than The Eight to show it's written by Ms. Neville and not a more modern "I can insult your intelligence and laugh about it" thriller author and for that I give it 2 stars - in the memory of The Eight so to speak, but otherwise it is ridiculously bad, not even deserving one star.

Huge disappointment"

http://sffworld.com/forums/showthrea...106#post492106

I've been reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe this month. I'm in the middle of The Sword of the Lictor currently. I'm still not quite sure what's really going on. The basic story seems pretty straightforward, but all these other things happen randomly and seem important, but I'm not sure why. I may have to read it again soon. We'll see when I get to the end.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm still reading (and enjoying) Twelve by Jasper Kent, but due to discussions with Rob, Rob's impending review and that time of the year, I'm dipping into The Living Dead edited by John Joseph Adams for Halloween. Unless anything else comes around.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_tinman View Post
    I've been reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe this month. I'm in the middle of The Sword of the Lictor currently. I'm still not quite sure what's really going on. The basic story seems pretty straightforward, but all these other things happen randomly and seem important, but I'm not sure why. I may have to read it again soon. We'll see when I get to the end.
    I think you'll find that Book of the New Sun makes more sense on the reread when you know what some of the early encounters lead upto.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Well, I'm still reading (and enjoying) Twelve by Jasper Kent, but due to discussions with Rob, Rob's impending review and that time of the year, I'm dipping into The Living Dead edited by John Joseph Adams for Halloween. Unless anything else comes around
    So Rob will be reviewing Twelve? I'm looking forward to this one, originally supposed to come out this month but now January 1st. Hoping for a review soon.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Mith, bad typing: it's me that's reviewing Twelve and Rob who's reviewed The Living Dead. The review's not quite up there yet for The Living Dead, I think, but should be any day now.

I'm hoping to get a good crack at Twelve over the weekend; think I've said I'm over half way now, and whilst it's not quite what I was expecting, I am enjoying it. So far, I suspect it'll be something you might like too. Hopefully the review'll be by the end of the month once it's gone through the usual SFFWorld 'o-m-g-did-I-type-that?' type of checking.

Great cover though:

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark