Well, I decided the other day that I couldn't call myself a fantasy fan without reading WoT, so I went to Barnes and Nobles and pick up a copy of The Eye of the World. I'm about 400 pages into it, and so far I see soooooo many things that are similar to Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I'll list a few of my observed similarities, probably tons more I can't think of:
Spoiler alert (probably redundant, as I'm only 400 pages into the series haha)
1) The protagonist (I think he is the protagonist anyways), Rand, is a boy from a small village in the woods..... Very similar to Richard the wood guide.
2) Rand's father isn't really his father..... Same goes for Richard.
3) People are born with magic in WoT..... Same goes for Sword of Truth series.
4) Those born with magic will die unless they are properly trained.... Same goes for Sword of Truth series.
5) Both Rand and Richard were born with magic, and Rand will probably deny it in the same way Richard did. (I haven't read anywhere yet that Rand was born with the one power, but the signs are clear.... I might be completely wrong here haha but that's the way I'm predicting it will be)
6) Also they both use a form of concentration (Richard pulling the image to himself and Rand with the flame and void), which I think Richard's father taught him but I'm not sure.
7) Both of the protagonists lived in secluded areas and everything in the book is brand new to them.
8) Both Rand and Richard have light grey eyes.
Thos are a few of the things that I think are major similarities, and there are many other minor similarities that I won't list. Anyways, a few of these may be the same for alot of fantasy novels, but I thought the two series seem very similar so far.
A bit off topic, I just wanted to say that so far I'm pretty pleased with WoT and will probably finish the series happily. But god damn, I hate the women in this book more than I've hated any character since Felisin from MBoTF.... Anyone else feel the same way?