Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Riftwar Saga?

I would like to know has anyone ever read this book series? What did they think of this? I have read this book series when I was in high school and I thought that it was a interesting series and would like to know what were your opinions on it?

I also read it in high school or a bit before in the mid-to-late 80s and loved it. But I remember being disappointed with the books after, but am not sure if that was because I had matured or if the writing declined. But the first Riftwar Saga was a classic of my youth.

I didn't start reading until I was about 21, 11years ago or so. Riftwar was one of the first books I read. I absolutely loved it. The follow up series don't come close to the original. But I do think this might go into the pile of 'Old school great classics that may not hold up to a more mature and experienced reader'. To each their own though. I personally would never re-read this series. I liked it so much I don't want to taint that memory. Not quite sure your motivation for asking the question though.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth001 View Post
    I would like to know has anyone ever read this book series? What did they think of this? I have read this book series when I was in high school and I thought that it was a interesting series and would like to know what were your opinions on it?
    Traditional epic fantasy from the 80s. It has the eagerness and enthusiasm of the epic fantasy of that time, none of the cynicism and antiheroes of more modern fantasy. It was based, if I remember correcting, on a roleplaying D&D game the author used to play. That made me fear the worst, because epic fantasy novels based on RPG games tend to be bad, but when I read Magician I was pleasantly surprised. It's not at the level of the very best the genre has to offer, but it is perfectly readable and entertaining.

In my opinion the first book, Magician (sometimes published in two volumes as Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master) is the best of the lot and works well as a standalone, and that's what I would recommend reading. Beyond that, the original trilogy is completed with Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethanon, which are not as good as Magician but are readable also, if you liked the first novel.

From there, Feist has written a lot of novels set in the same world (the Riftwar Cycle). Beware, because some of them are very weak. I enjoyed The Empire Trilogy, though, co-written with Janny Wurst, and set in a Japanese-inspired society.
    Last edited by farseer2; June 24th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.

Wow....Riftwar.

Well... take it for what it is worth. I started reading the Riftwar Saga in the mid-80s. I truly enjoyed it. I continued to read everything (almost.... I think murder in LaMutt and a book that had nothing to do with that world were the only books from REF that I haven't read) by REF that he put out. I actually enjoyed the 1 non-Midkemia book of his that I read which was Faerie Tale. That being said..... Once I had read Silverthorn, I was up to date... That was book 2. Over the years (hell I could honestly say "Over the decades" now) I read and read his books. Some books were kind of quasi stand alone based in his world, others were in series. Some were better than others. (YES the Empire Series written with Wurts was absolutely excellent). I think a lot of that, was some of the other characters...... in the newer books..... I always kind of compared to the ones that I grew up with and loved. I loved Jimmy the Hand (what a great name by the way) and his progeny, while often present, for me could never live up to The Hand. There was something else though that kept me coming back, and that was Pug and the occasional Tomas sighting. The characters that had so dominated the early parts of the series had now been relegated to background roles in many of the later books, but they were still there. The other thing that kept me coming back was to occasionally gain an insight into how the author would deal with those that are so long-lived, reacting to the loss of loved-ones due to old-age in some cases, accidents and murder in others, and some in insane acts of heroism. So I continued reading and although I had some grumblings about some of the books, I still mostly enjoyed them. And then it happened....... The book Magician's End came out. For month's every time I looked at my kindle choices on Amazon.... I would creep over to that page and contemplate buying the book. The truth is....I didn't want to read it..... as if by not reading it, Pug wouldn't die. Sorry if that is a spoiler, but the title is pretty obvious......

Well I finally read it..... and like a sap...although there is a twist.... I cried. For all the more mediocre books in the series towards the end, this one he did very well.... at least for a longtime fan.

I will say that at the same time that I started reading about a wonderful world called midkemia...... I had also started reading about a place called.... The Land..... The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I have read every book but one... Although I have loved the books, I have yet to be able to bring myself to read The Last Dark.

Cheers all.

Kempster

In reply to kempster and farseer...

I read the first trilogy, starting with Magician:Apprentice. It was great, one of my favorite of all time. After that I read Empire Trilogy which isn't the same plot line really. And soon after that I read both Krondor's Sons and Serpent War Saga. The latter 2 series are much much weaker. Weak enough that I couldn't really continue. So while maybe Magicians End is good, I can't plow through enough to make it that far, as much as I love Pug.

I read this series in high school in the 80s. Loved it then. Tried reading the first one again a few years ago, and couldn't get through it... tastes change, I guess.

Funny, I read this series around the same time as everyone else, maybe in middle school around 1990. I remember being totally engrossed by them, but only vague imagery stuck around over the ensuing decades.

I tried reading a couple other things by Feist and recall being disappointed by them. Couldn't tell you what they were, though.

Hi everybody,

first post and starting with a recommendation request:

I saw a lot of Feist`s books in store used for 1 EUR each. There is also some Kind of "take 4 and pay 3" sale as well I think. I could get all of his Riftwar, Empire and Serpentwar books for something like 15 EUR (German Versions).

In General I prefer authors like Martin, Abraham, Scholes, Durham etc. so any Chance I might be interested in that?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by bard`s song View Post
    Hi everybody,

first post and starting with a recommendation request:

I saw a lot of Feist`s books in store used for 1 EUR each. There is also some Kind of "take 4 and pay 3" sale as well I think. I could get all of his Riftwar, Empire and Serpentwar books for something like 15 EUR (German Versions).

In General I prefer authors like Martin, Abraham, Scholes, Durham etc. so any Chance I might be interested in that?

Thanks all!
    My recommendation would be to buy Riftwar's first book: Magician(Apprentice and Master if broken up). Read that. If you like it, finish Riftwar Saga: Silverthorn & A Darkness at Sethanon. From there you can decide for yourself if you feel the need to press on. Empire Trilogy is not a part of the main story arc. It's what was happening on the other world(Kelewan) at the same time as Riftwar Saga. After the Saga is books like Krondor's Son and Serpent War. Those are not as good as first. But they are available if you are craving some more Midkemia action.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    My recommendation would be to buy Riftwar's first book: Magician(Apprentice and Master if broken up). Read that. If you like it, finish Riftwar Saga: Silverthorn & A Darkness at Sethanon. From there you can decide for yourself if you feel the need to press on. Empire Trilogy is not a part of the main story arc. It's what was happening on the other world(Kelewan) at the same time as Riftwar Saga. After the Saga is books like Krondor's Son and Serpent War. Those are not as good as first. But they are available if you are craving some more Midkemia action.
    Hi, thanks a lot for your fast Response. I am asking because the store is a 45 min drive away so if I go there I have planned to pick up a whole bunch of books.

Is Feist`s stuff comparable to Jordan or more to Eragon/Dragonlance etc.? I like some traditional stuff between my "standard" reads as far as they are not too juvenile.

On a sidenote: They have a trilogy by Stackpole (Age of discovery) as well on sale - never read anything by him. Based on the blurb it got a Little bit of Malazan feel to it. Any opinion on this one?

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bard`s song View Post
    Hi, thanks a lot for your fast Response. I am asking because the store is a 45 min drive away so if I go there I have planned to pick up a whole bunch of books.

Is Feist`s stuff comparable to Jordan or more to Eragon/Dragonlance etc.? I like some traditional stuff between my "standard" reads as far as they are not too juvenile.

On a sidenote: They have a trilogy by Stackpole (Age of discovery) as well on sale - never read anything by him. Based on the blurb it got a Little bit of Malazan feel to it. Any opinion on this one?
    I would say that early Feist is more like Terry Brooks, but his voice is unique. For me, even looking back over the 25 + years since I've read some of the books, there's more emotional depth to it than Dragonlance or Eragon. I especially loved Magician. I think it's a classic of the genre no matter what happens to be popular at the time.

Can't help you with Stackpole's Age of Discovery since I never read it. However, I did like his DragonCrown War Cycle. It was written at the time Jordan was king so it includes lots of characters and has world-shattering implications. He doesn't seem to publish as much original stuff as he once did. Looking at his bibliography, it's more Star Wars and tie in books. I wonder why.
    Last edited by Davis Ashura; August 26th, 2014 at 10:54 AM.

Yeah I would agree with Davis. I was going to say that while Robert Jordan may be more advanced and modern in feel than Feist, it does have more depth and style than Dragonlance or Eragon. But I wouldn't expect Martin or Abraham from it. Feist is definitely traditional and not too juvinile. It may fit your inbetween reads perfectly. It sounds like it won't cost you much to just take the risk. Here is the best reading order to follow

Well, I wouldn't say that Feist is like Brooks. I'm not saying Feist is like G.R.R. Martin, but I think he's clearly better than Brooks or that the Eragon/Dragonlance stuff (at least for my taste).

Since they are so cheap my advice would be to buy Magician (often divided in Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master) and the Empire trilogy, which is also quite good. It's traditional fantasy, so don't expect exactly the grimdark style that is in fashion now, but it is quite readable. If you want to buy a couple more you can get Silverthorn and A Darkness At Sethanon to complete the Riftwar saga (although Magician works well as a standalone).

If you love it you can then buy some more, but if you don't you might as well stop there, because that's about the best he has written. Some of the other things are pretty bad, and some are OK.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

I will get the Riftwar saga + the Empire saga like recommended. Maybe I will go for the Serpentwar saga a bit later.

Probably I will go for the trilogy by Stackpole as well. Would have to pay then 10 EUR for 13 books (German Publishers have split most of the Feist books) which sounds like a good deal to me. Since my second daughter has been Born I read a lot more due to staying at home much more so reading has become quite an expensive Hobby lately. I paid 15,50 EUR for the first part of "Mage`s blood" (again half of the original book) and read it within one Weekend. Great stuff by the way.

One question regarding the reading order of Riftwar/Empire:

I read that the first 2 books of Empire are set at the same time as Magician and the third one after Darkness at Sethanon.

So does it make sense to read:

Magician
    Empire 1 + 2
    Silverthorn
    Darkness at Sethanon
    Empire 3

Or just go through the Riftwar books and after that through the whole Empire trilogy?