Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

reading female authors 2015 -- which next?

I've decided to read/listen to books from at least 12 different female sff authors in 2015 (edit -- at least two books by each author when available, unless the first book really sucks). These may be old or new authors, and I may or may not have read books by them before. Obviously I'd like to concentrate on good books as opposed to bad ones. ;-)

I've started January and February with Carol Berg and Juliet Marillier. In March I'll be finishing up Berg's Bridge of D'Arnath series -- and then who?

I've come up with a few choices for March/April/May. If anyone has read these, let me know what you think -- or let me know if you have better ideas!

January
    Juliet Marillier -- Daughter of the Forest

February
    Carol Berg -- Son of Avonar
    Carol Berg -- Guardians of the Keep
    Carol Berg -- The Soul Weaver

March/April/May
    Carol Berg -- Daughter of Ancients
    Jennifer Roberson -- Sword-Dancer

Ann Leckie -- Ancillary Justice (2014 Hugo, Nebula, BSFA, Arthur C. Clarke, and Locus awards)
    Ann Leckie -- Ancillary Sword

Sofia Samatar -- A Stranger in Olondria (2014 WFA winner)

G. Willow Wilson -- Alif the Unseen (2013 WFA winner)
    G. Willow Wilson -- The Butterfly Mosque (out of genre, but it sounds interesting)

Nnedi Okorafor -- Who Fears Death (2011 WFA winner)
    Nnedi Okorafor -- Lagoon

Connie Willis -- Blackout (2011 Hugo and Nebula)
    Connie Willis -- All Clear

Jennifer Fallon -- Lion of Senet
    Jennifer Fallon -- (can't decide -- she's got a lot of highly rated ones)

Elizabeth Bear -- Range of Ghosts
    Elizabeth Bear -- Karen Memory

Kate Griffin -- A Madness of Angels
    Kate Griffin -- The Midnight Mayor or Stray Souls

Jennifer Roberson -- Sword-Singer

With all the other stuff I'm reading, those ought to keep me busy til May or thereabouts. Thanks, guys!
    Last edited by Contrarius; Yesterday at 03:27 PM.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know SFFWorld has some big Carol Berg fans out there. It'll be interesting to hear what you think of them.

I found the Marillier a little too lush for my own personal tastes, if I remember right: lots of 'feelings', but not a lot else happening. But it has been a while.

I do like Connie Willis though. You might want to read The Doomsday Book (great book, awful title!) if you haven't already, as it sets up Black Out/All Clear - some of the characters and situations overlap. They can be read separately but I found it great to link the two together. What happens in The Doomsday Book is briefly referenced in Black Out.

Review of Black Out here: http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/646.html

Review of All Clear here: http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/673.html

I look forward to reading what you think.

M.
    Mark

Here are my suggestions:

Jennifer Fallon Second Sons series
    JV Jones Sword of Shadows series
    Carol Berg Rai Kirah series
    Fiona McIntosh Valisar series

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    How about Elizabeth Bear's The Eternal Sky series, starting with Range of Ghosts?

Another I'd suggest is Jo Walton's Among Others.

Both women have other books out and Bear is especially prolific.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    I know SFFWorld has some big Carol Berg fans out there. It'll be interesting to hear what you think of them.
    I'm a huge Berg fan. I've already read all of her books except the end of this series. I'm nearly at the end of book 3 now, and I'll go straight to book 4 when I finish.

I'll admit that I often find annoying holes or unbelievable elements in her plots -- I think plot is her weakness. But I do love the atmosphere and voices she creates.

I found the Marillier a little too lush for my own personal tastes, if I remember right: lots of 'feelings', but not a lot else happening. But it has been a while.
    I liked the writing, but I can see what you mean. She spent a lot of time pottering about instead of getting on with the plot. I don't think I'll read any more of hers for awhile, though like Berg I did appreciate her characters and the world she created.

I do like Connie Willis though. You might want to read The Doomsday Book
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Also To Say Nothing of the Dog. :-)

I am a bit biased against this one, because I was incensed that she got to submit two separate books as one book for the awards. But nobody cared what I thought. LOL.

Thanks Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    Here are my suggestions:

Jennifer Fallon Second Sons series
    JV Jones Sword of Shadows series
    Carol Berg Rai Kirah series
    Fiona McIntosh Valisar series
    Oooooo. I had Fallon on the list due to someone else's rec, but I hadn't read the blurb til now. Sounds like it's got a bromance in it -- and I'm a big fan of bromances. I'll bump it up the list. :-)

I didn't have the Jones. Thanks!

Read the Berg. Refer back to my comments about Berg and also my comments about bromance.

I didn't have the McIntosh either. Good suggestions, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage View Post
    How about Elizabeth Bear's The Eternal Sky series, starting with Range of Ghosts?
    She's on the list, but with your rec I'll bump her up higher. :-)

Another I'd suggest is Jo Walton's Among Others.
    Read it, enjoyed it. I'm the same age as her MC, so I was very nostalgic about all the lit references -- I was reading all those books at the same age she did.

Blog Entries
    I am a bit biased against this one, because I was incensed that she got to submit two separate books as one book for the awards. But nobody cared what I thought. LOL.
    Oh, I'd disagree with that one. I know that some people were VERY unhappy with that decision, although it was quite within the rules, etc etc. To be honest though, they are really just one book.

It was the same with all of the Wheel of Time books being eligible this year, as well. Made some people very unhappy.

I did get the chance to meet Connie at a publisher's party at LonCon in the Summer (gosh, how does that sound!): she was lovely. Mind you, so was Carrie Vaughn, whose Kitty books might be worth a try if you fancy some urban fantasy.

Still thinking 'older female authors'. Nobody's mentioned Robin Hobb yet, to my surprise. I really rate C J Cherryh's Morgaine books too, if you can get them. They are fantasy but there are slight SF touches which I liked. Morgaine travels medievalesque-worlds shutting down stargates. Sounds odd, but I really liked them. The characterisation is great.

M.
    Last edited by Hobbit; February 27th, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
    Mark

Mind you, so was Carrie Vaughn, whose Kitty books might be worth a try if you fancy some urban fantasy.
    I should add her to the list. I read tons of UF, but I haven't checked her out yet.

Nobody's mentioned Robin Hobb yet, to my surprise.
    I've read all the Fitz books, naturally. :-) Haven't read the others. I'll read the next Fitz as soon as it comes out.

I really rate C J Cherryh's Morgaine books too, if you can get them.
    I used to just devour Cherryh when I was a young whippersnapper. I even wrote a paper in high school about sapience and sentience in alien species (no, sapience and sentience aren't actually the same thing) that utilized some of her books. ;-)

I don't think I've ever read the Morgaine books, though. I'll check em out!

Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever read the Morgaine books, though. I'll check em out!
    This might help: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/c-j-cherryh/

It says that there's a new omnibus edition coming out later in the year there, too. Great news!

M.
    Mark

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I'll throw in my two cents...

Kate Elliott is definitely worth a mention. She has a few completed series out, (Crown of Stars, Crossroads, and Spiritwalker) of which I've only delved into CoS. I liked what I've read of it a lot and want to dig deeper into her catalog.

Also, I'm reading the first volume in Glenda Larke's Forsaken Lands series and finding it VERY good.

I'll add a thumbs up RedMage's suggestion of Walton's Among Others... one of my all time favorite genre books. (Though people's opinions seem pretty split down the middle on this one.)

Another favorite author of mine is Ursula Le Guin. I've never met a book of hers I don't like. If you want to take a break from novels, her short story collection The Wind's Twelve Quarters is really good.

Lastly, I'll say that I thought Okorafor's latest Lagoon was WAY better than Who Fears Death. Tighter prose, blistering pace to the plot, and lots of cool/crazy things happening every few pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Kate Elliott is definitely worth a mention.
    I had her on my general list already, but with your rec I'll move her up towards the top. :-)

Also, I'm reading the first volume in Glenda Larke's Forsaken Lands series and finding it VERY good.
    I didn't have her -- thanks! I've added both The Lascar's Dagger and The Last Stormlord to my list.

Another favorite author of mine is Ursula Le Guin.
    Le Guin was one of my faves back in the day (like, 30 years ago) when I was but knee-high to an old lady. But I haven't read anything of hers (aside from a reread of Earthsea) in years, so I've got Left Hand of Darkness on the list for a possible reread. :-)

Lastly, I'll say that I thought Okorafor's latest Lagoon was WAY better than Who Fears Death. Tighter prose, blistering pace to the plot, and lots of cool/crazy things happening every few pages.
    Thanks! I'll mark it down too.
    Last edited by Contrarius; Yesterday at 08:14 AM.

P.S. to all -- I've decided that just one book from each of twelve authors is too easy, and it won't really give me a good enough flavor of each author. So I'm going to challenge myself to read at least TWO from each author (if two are available), with the proviso that if the first book is truly awful I won't punish myself with a second.

I'm editing my original post to reflect the new challenge.

This might help: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/c-j-cherryh/

It says that there's a new omnibus edition coming out later in the year there, too. Great news!

M.
    Interestingly, I checked Amazon and these are available in audiobook but NOT in Kindle. But since I prefer to listen to sff rather than read it, that's okay by me. :-)

I will also suggest:

• Jennifer Roberson's Tiger and Del books.
    • C. J. Cherryh's Morgaine books
    • Steph Swainston's Fourlands trilogy

Roberson's and Cherryh's books are both in the sword-and-sorcery subset, while Swainston's trilogy is bloody weird.