Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

favorite fantasy novel

My favorite fantasy novel is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Other members also can share their favorite fantasy novels. I hope through this way I can choose my next novel to read. Looking for quick replies by community members! Must explain some details about this novel. I mean to say that what type of story is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
    My favorite fantasy novel is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Other members also can share their favorite fantasy novels. I hope through this way I can choose my next novel to read. Looking for quick replies by community members! Must explain some details about this novel. I mean to say that what type of story is.
    Sorry, breaking your rules and giving you my top 10.

• First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie
      My favorite to date. Imagine the incredible hulk was a barbarian and someone wrote an amazing story about his life. Logen Ninefingers hulks out to become the Bloody Nine. Itís just a great story with great characters. Gritty Antiheroes.

• Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson
      Classic must read fantasy. Books 1-5 are some of the best. 6-11 suffer, but are still good. They catch a lot of flak because they donít live up to the standard set by the previous 5. Sanderson masterfully finishes this series.

• Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin
      Most popular title since LOTR. Well deserved too. I wish he would finish already! But, what we have is some of the best fantasy ever written.

• Rift War Saga - Raymond E Feist
      Another great classic. Though I feel this one may not hold up that well to the test of time. Most read it first or when they were younger and loved it. Unsure if you would still continue to love it. It was one of my first reads in fantasy and quickly became a favorite. Read at least the first book(Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master), and finish the Saga. Nobody would fault you to stop there.

• Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
      Some of the most epic fantasy writing you will read. The scope is masterful, near genius level. The characters are larger than life. One of the deepest, darkest, most confusing (in a good way) series you can read. Nobody should call themselves a fantasy reader if they havenít at least read book 1 and 2. If you still donít like it after book2, I wouldnít fault you for stopping.

• King Killer Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
      One of the best and most popular new up and coming writers. Only 2 books have been finished, but itís worth the read.

• Prince of Nothing - R. Scott Bakker
      Another dark, deep, philosophical reads similar to Malazan. But thatís pretty much where it ends. This is not nearly as confusing. Plot lines are linear. Itís a great series. It is part of the series ďThe Second ApocalypseĒ. And another trilogy ďAspect-EmperorĒ follows this one.

• Acts of Caine - Mathew Stover
      Great read. The first book, Heroes Die, is probably the best single book Iíve read. Unfortunately the rest donít quit live up, but they are still as good. One issue is that each book(4book series) feels completely different than the last. A total different style. It works though, and is worth your time.

• Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
    • Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
      I am going to package these both together. Action packed, light, fun read. Nothing too crazy with plots, prose, or intellectual writing. Just a fun light action packed read. Both are introductions to 2 of the best new authors in the genre!

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Sorry, breaking your rules and giving you my top 10.
    Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin
    Most popular title since LOTR. Well deserved too. I wish he would finish already! But, what we have is some of the best fantasy ever written.
    chris777, you have shared your top ten. I would like to appreciate you in this modern age when people don't want to spend their time on book reading but you are still reading such nice collection. I would like to read Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin. It sounds great story. Would you like to tell me when you start reading books do?

Bookaholic
    As I mentally review 25 yrs of reading fantasy the book that I enjoyed the most was Alloy Of Law. It isn't the best book I have read, just the one I think I enjoyed the most.

I think it is a great thing to read fantasy novels because it help to release the depression. Am I right ? Rexington! Are you reading fantasy novels only or horror and other type of books too. I will search about your suggested novel.

I've read a metric ton of fantasy, and I'd have to say my all time favorite is a tossup between "The Way of Kings" and "Words of Radiance".

The Way of Kings fulfills its role as first book in the series by drawing you into the world and explaining it flawlessly, as well as introducing you to the characters and making you feel deeply about them. Not to mention the action scenes were breathtaking. And I'll admit that I teared up a few times near the end.

Words of Radiance fulfills its role as second book in the series by opening the floodgates of intensity. You get more action, more lore, more characterization, more world building, all building up to an incredible conclusion. For the last few hundred pages I was dreading getting to the end because I wanted it to keep going, and it was almost a temptation to set it down just to prolong the experience. But I didn't: I read it all over the period of two days, almost nonstop aside from eating and sleeping. Few books have drawn me in that deeply.

So yeah, tough choice between them. Now if the question was fantasy series it would be The Stormlight Archives hands down. I've read fantastic series from exceptional authors that I'd recommend in a heartbeat, but it stands head and shoulders above the others. And because Brandon Sanderson is so prolific I can trust he'll complete the series in good time, unlike some authors I've put my faith in recently.

Following Rexington's suit, as I think about it and all the years I've been reading fantasy, here are a few I remember enjoying the most. They aren't necessarily the best ones, but the books that I just couldn't put down, which I understand is a fine distinction, but there you go.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Terry Weis and Tracy Hickman - post-Hobbit and LotR, this was the book that sealed the deal for me as a fantasy reader. I loved Tolkien, still do, but when I read this book I knew there would be more like the Tolkien. Read this one in sixth grade.

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan - soon after reading a ton of DragonLance books, I found this tome by Jordan in the local library when I was in the seventh grade. I totally devoured this book. Several times if I remember correctly. But after book 7, the wait between books exceeded my ability to remember the plot lines and characterization, and I no longer could take the time to re-read the series just to catch up. Sadly, I never finished it, and likely never will, given the slog books 8-11 are supposed to be.

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie - I love all of Abercrombie's stuff, but this is his finest hour in my opinion. I haven't yet, but it is definitely worth a re-read.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - everything about this book from its lyrical title to its detestable but adorable title character kept me turning the pages faster than I wanted to. The other two books in the series are great too, but not quite like this first one.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Rarely have I felt so lost in a world painted for me by an author. This story is a real gift.

Yesterday my aunt came back from the celebrations of yellowstone tour packages. I surprised to see that she bought a novel for me. Its name is The Sword of Shannara. Now I am going to start it and I will share my experience with you after completing it. This time I just cross my fingers to know how will be the story is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
    Yesterday my aunt came back from the celebrations of yellowstone tour packages. I surprised to see that she bought a novel for me. Its name is The Sword of Shannara. Now I am going to start it and I will share my experience with you after completing it. This time I just cross my fingers to know how will be the story is?
    Has all this been a clever ruse by a yellowstone tour advertiser? =)

Apologies, I can already hear the groans, but mine is still Lord of the rings. closely followed by Malazan and The Belgariad.

If we're just going by single novels...

1. Memories of Ice - Steven Erikson
    2. Words of Radiance - Brandon Sanderson

Then there are a bunch of runners up. But those are my clear top two.

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    I hate narrowing it down to just one book. I'd have to say The Lord of the Rings for its majesty and immersion.

If I were to pick only one book it would definitely be A Game of Thrones. I have read this book, including most of the rest of the series, four times now. I could pick it up at any time and enjoy it. Its all about the characters for me. I love hanging out with the starks and the lannisters when they were still all together.

The author who brought me into Fantasy has been Wolfgang Hohlbein (very huge in Germany/Austria - he has written/published over 200 books so far).
    Not sure if anything afterwards could top the Feeling of reading his book "Midgard" for the first time. However I have been something like 10 or 12 at that time.

Looking back I have read a lot of Fantasy during the last 20+ years and I think LotR and ASoIaF are the standout ones. The former for defining the "classic" Fantasy and still being the most epic adventure ever created and the latter for taking our genre into the 21st century.
    Those 2 are also a class on their own when we talk about movies/TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by bard`s song View Post
    The author who brought me into Fantasy has been Wolfgang Hohlbein (very huge in Germany/Austria - he has written/published over 200 books so far).
    bard`s song! I like your style to pay tribute to your favorite writer. After reading your post I have decided to read the books written by Wolfgang Hohlbein. I think it will be a great experience for me as well as for you. if you like it's 10 to 12 books then it will be great for me.