Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Black Magician Series - Trudi Canavan

I've recently read Magician's Guild the first book in this series and it two minds if to continue with the rest of the series.

Has anyone else read the 2nd book?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just for reference:

The second book in the series is called The Novice and is due out in the UK on the 1st July; it has been out for a while elsewhere (May 2004?);

The third book (The High Lord) is due out in the UK some time between November 2004 and February 2005.

Trudi seems to be another Antipodean writer who is being sold in other markets after writing for a while 'Down Under' - Garth Nix is another, for example. The Magician's Guild was first published in 2001.

Her website is here.

Hobbit
    Mark

Uh, Moderator
    I'm a bit like yourself Hobbit. If I saw the second one around cheap, I'd probaby pick it up, but I'm not going out of my way to find it. The first book missed the mark with me. It sort of felt like abad cross between a YA book and fat fantasy.

I liked the the Black Magician Sersis. It seems to me like a very good mature Harry Potter. The main character is a Hero that alot of ppl can identify with having felt outside at least once in their lives. I would give it 4 stars.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OK Cymric - so how many of the books in the series have you read? To help Rune out, would it be fair to say that the books are more Young Adult than adult in style (ugh - hate genre labels! ), or could you say that the stories get 'better' (Ie: more complex, better written?) as you progress through the series?

Hobbit
    Mark

I have only read the first two books and I am eagrly anticipating the thrid. The first one does seem a bit drool since it involves alot of searching by the mages. but once u get to the second book things get much more tense and the confrontation with the Black Magician becomes very deadly.

I was wondering if the 2nd book was going to pick the pace up The first book seemed to mostly fill in back story, which is fine, but not for most of a book
    It needed more action which is why I was a bit relunctant to continue on.
    Now that I think about it the first book did seem like a YA's story. Nothing major really happened, and anything that may have lead to a bad situation was glossed over.

I'm hoping this changes in the 2nd book and it gets a bit more grittier.

Uh, Moderator
    OK, I finished the second book in this series last night. There's some very slight spoilers in here.
    I've got a few comments:

* It was more of a page turner than the previous book (the second half at least). The pacing was much better.

* The author relies too much on describing characters facial expressions to convey emotion at the start of the book. i.e. showing people suspicious of behaviour because they narrow their eyes when looking at another character. It gets old quick.

* If you're going to make up fantasy names to replace real world objects, or variations on them, please describe them. Why not just call it a carrot/spider/coffee otherwise?

* What is it with every fantasy novel having a token gay character these days? The whole sub plot with the gay character was annoyingly predictable and boring. I groaned when we discovered the magician in question had been unconsciously using his magic to subdue his sexuality.

* The first half of the novel dealt too much with the whole teen angst thing. If there hadn't been a few plot developments that moved the story away from this I probably would've given up reading the book.

* Whilst some of the plot twists are predictable, they are entertaining.

Most of what I've just said is negative, but I did enjoy the book for what it was - light, popcorn fantasy. If the author had managed to put the first two books into a single volume and cut some of the "teen development" out I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more.

Ok I picked up the first 2 books cheap but I have pre order the third one ,I would class them as YA but still enjoyable a good bedtime read also Novice is hinting at a more darker side could come through in the third book.

Uh, Moderator
    I just finished up the last book.
    Predictable was probably the best way to describe it.

Overall series score: 4/10
    Author rating: Do not buy again unless receiving massive praise from trusted sources.

I liked the whole series not on a 'this is deep fantasy' but more - hey somthing light hearted - though the last book kind of turns every persecption in the first two books on its head

Uh, Moderator
    I didn't think so, especially when it was foreshadowed throughout the second book.
    Each to their own though.

I must have been half alseep when I read the second one then Wouldn't be surprised

I wish I had read this thread before I bought the books. A friend recommended them to me, I have read the first two, finishing The Novice last night, and I can't say I was all that impressed. It was extremely predictable, and the writing was just too simplistic. There is also a habit of the author explaining the same things over and over, as though you the reader had forgotton what happened a few chapters ago (I wish Erikson did that in his books!).. With a straightforward and predictable plot, this is entirely unnecessary. I will have to read the third book as I need to know if it gets less predictable - with the twist I am predicting if you see what I mean. The first book ended in a real rush though, so I imagine the last book will be the same - cramming in all the relevant plot devices at the end.....We'll see. I will be calling my friend to discuss his taste in books - he refused my recommendation of the Assassins trilogy for this!

Lots of things are turned on their head. That's about the "twist"