Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any other good books about necromancers?

Besides the Chronicles of the Necromancer and the Abhorsen Trilogy. I've actually read the Abhorsen Trilogy which I LOVED. I haven't read The Chronicles of the Necromancer because it's not really catching my interest. I did read a book recently by Kevin Dunn called The Necromancer. It was the most violent and dark book I've EVER read and I LOVED it. I love fantasy of all types but generally the darker the better for me. So, if there are any suggestions as well for very dark fantasy authors/books I'd be most appreciative. And I did do a search which wasn't very helpful. So I apologize if this post seems uncalled for.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    While not a novel a really good short story collection is Flesh and Bone: Rise of the Necromancers anthology. Lots of great stories that should be "fleshed" out to become actual novels.

Hope that fits what you are looking for.

You can try The Necromancer Chronicles series by Amanda Downum, not to be confused with Gail Martin's The Chronicles of the Necromancer. There's also Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard. And The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells. Michael Scott has his YA series the Immortal Nicholas Flannel and at least one of the titles deals with a necromancer as it's called The Necromancer. Brian Lumley's Necroscope horror series deals with both vampires and necromancers, so that's probably like Dunn's book. It's a big bestseller and much respected in horror.

Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series has Anita Blake as a forensics consultant and necromancer who raises the dead for a living. That series, though, may not be exactly what you want as it gets into more complicated politics and sexual magic, but the first few books might interest you and they have lots of action. Some of the other contemporary suspense fantasy series probably have necromancers, so you could hunt around.

I'm sure others will pop into my head later.

If you don't require every book to be of GRRM quality, I would highly recommend The Half Orcs series by David Dalglish. Two half-orc brothers, one of whom is a necromancer, and their struggles. The first book is very dark, and there is plenty of darkness throughout the series so far.

The reason I mention quality at first is that this is a fairly new author on the scene and I found him through Amazon kindle books because it was fantasy based and was cheap at 99 cents. Editing suffered a bit due to this release method, but it was still quite good for what it is. Totally worth that initial investment and I bought all of the others in the series for a couple bucks a pop. Money well spent. You can read about it at Amazon to see what others think. Good reviews so far.

The Weight of Blood, Book 1 of The Half Orcs by David Dalglish

I will stop now because I don't want to sound like a shill!

And the link was created with the Amazon link at the top of this page for referral credit.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to read it but Steven Erikson's Bauchelain and Korbal Broach deal with a necromancer. Although I do not how involved necromancy is to the story line. Perhaps others can chime in and tell you more.

It is a part of a larger series of novellas so I don't know if you would be jumping into the middle of something or if it is self contained.

I second the Martha Wells reccomendation. She's easily one of the most underrated authors out there in my opinion and her book The Death of the Necromancer is very good indeed.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    It's not a subject I am interested in, but Bullington's Enterprise of Death is about Necromancers.

There's also a lot of necromancy going on in Pamela Freeman's books.

There's necromancy in a lot of fantasy books, but I can't think of any I've read _about_ necromancers off hand. 'Prince of Thorns' has a necromancer or two in it, but it's not a central theme. Sauron was known as the 'Necromancer of Dol Guldur' in places in LotR. I was typing in 'Sabriel' but realised that was what set you looking for more Gail Martin's 'Chronicles of the Necromancer' might help, but I don't know if it's good.

I've really enjoyed Lynn Flewelling's two series which are set in the same world at different times - The Bone Dolls Twin and The Night Runners. They both involve protagonists in conflict with a society of necromancers.

Hard to find, probably, but if you can ... the story collection, Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith. The stories were written in the 1930s mainly for Weird Tales magazine, and include some strong work, like "The Empire of the Necromancers" and "The Dark Eidolon." When you think contemporary weird fantasy or dark fantasy, to some degree it springs from the influence of Smith along with his peers H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. In Zothique Smith created the final country near the end of the world, when magic has returned to Earth even as the light of the sun has waned, and necromancers rule.

The individual stories may be fairly easy to find -- I believe all of them are included in the Night Shade editions of Smith's collected fantasies -- but their cumulative effect as a distinct story collection manages to be something more than the sum of its parts. It's aggravating that this collection, to my knowledge, was printed only once back in the days of Lin Carter, who edited the volume, and the Ballantine Sign of the Unicorn imprint.

Randy M.

You may enjoy John Meaney's novel Bone Song. I can't recall if there are any characters who are specifically called necromancers, but necromancy and dealings with the dead in general certainly form a large part of the plot. The atmosphere and world-building of the book are top-notch, the characterization less so. Very quick and eventful read though. If you're looking for a decent mystery/noir-ish read, you'd probably like it.

From what I understand, one of the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher deals with necromancy in an awesome way. That series is a must read.

The Nagash Trilogy

I'm not much into the Warhammer world, but among their "age of legends" series I found the Nagash trilogy, which I personally found fascinating. "Nagash the Sorcerer", "Nagash the Unbroken", and "Nagash Immortal".

Though different, I loved Chronicles of the Necromancer, have yet to read the Abhorsen Trilogy. If it's as good as you say I'll give it a shot.

Paula Volsky's The Wolf of Winter features a sort of mixed protagonist/antagonist who becomes a necromancer.

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post
    I have yet to read it but Steven Erikson's Bauchelain and Korbal Broach deal with a necromancer. Although I do not how involved necromancy is to the story line. Perhaps others can chime in and tell you more.

It is a part of a larger series of novellas so I don't know if you would be jumping into the middle of something or if it is self contained.
    The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas are pretty much self contained and can be read without reading the Malazan series. They have a lot of dark humor and necromancy does play a very large role in the stories.