Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror

Ground rules:
    This thread will be open for discussion
    If you have a question about an author or book, you can ask it here
    If you recommend a book, please give the author's full name and the full title

Popular Authors such as George R.R. Martin, Steven Erikson, Robert Jordan, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jim Butcher, David Eddings, Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Scott Bakker, Raymond Feist and David Gemmell have quite a few threads dedicated to them, so plunk their name in the SEARCH function to see what others have said about these popular authors.

Fantasy/horror authors often write different types of fantasy, as well as SF, mystery and other types of fiction. Fantasy encompasses every thing from magic realism to media tie-ins, and we encourage members to discuss any sort of fantasy that interests them, not just those works from genre publishers. Horror sometimes is not fantastic fiction, but this is also a forum for all horror fiction of any kind.

Here are some interesting threads that have remain fairly active over the years here at SFFWorld:
    Supernatural/Urban Fantasy: Ghosts, Vampires, Werefolk and Wizards
    What Can You Tell Me About....
    YA Fantasy – not just for kids
    What did you read as a kid that got you started in this genre? / into fantasy?
    If you like ^^^^^ then you might like #####
    Forgotten Classic Fantasy
    Best Anthologies
    Anthologies

Some of our Moderators are also "Official" book reviewers for the site, so check out SFFWorld’s Official Reviews Page, updated at least once a week with a new review

Our Book Clubs
    Fantasy Book Club
    Science Fiction Book Club

We often keep a tally of annual releases:
    2008 and 2008, 2007, 2006 and Huge array of new books in 2006!, 2005

We do a poll every year for favorite book
    2007 winner and 2007 Voting Thread, 2006 Winner, 2006 Voting Thread, 2005 Winner and 2005 Voting Thread

We also do a Monthly Tally what members read as well as books members have Just Bought (in its 5th iteration as of this posting)

Additionally, we have several fantasy authors who have been given their own forums on SFFWorld, in which you can discuss their works or any other topic you like, as long as it's okay with the author.

Again, this is an OPEN thread, so come here to find and provide recommendations! Also, please don’t hesitate to start up new threads on particular subjects or authors in the Fantasy/Horror forum or just add to existing threads you find interesting. We want this thread to be active, lively, and un-daunting. Basically, the opposite of what the Old Recommendation Thread became. We'll keep this initial post relatively brief and continually update as we see fit.

Here's the Old Recommendation Thread

Here's the Horror Recommendations thread
    Last edited by Rob B; May 13th, 2009 at 12:58 PM.

It seems we've got a few recent request for recommendations, so here are those threads:
    Suggestions
    Book Suggestions
    Which next series: Erikson, Martin, Hobb's liveship, Abercrombie, Lynch or Marco???

We've also got the ever-popular anticipation thread for 2009:
    Looking forward to 2009

That said, I'll try to throw some general recommendations here.

One of the first authors I often recommend is Matthew Stover. His latest novel, Caine Black Knife published this past week and I reviewed it for SFFWorld here. Matt was also the Big Idea guest this week at John Scalzi's popular blog, The Whatever. The first two books in that sequence are Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle. Matt has contributed some of the best-received Star Wars books including the novelization of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, the New Jedi Order novel Traitor and the Clone Wars novel Shatterpoint. Matt also has an Official Author Forum here at SFFWorld. Matt is one of the top writers in the genre and really deserves more recognition.

Another author I often recommend, or have been lately, is Sean Williams. His Books of the Change series starts with The Crooked Letter, which I thought was a great amalgamation of Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, and China Mieville in an apocalypic/Epic Horror situation. The series is four books long and three have been published in the US by Pyr. He crosses the fence and writes pretty solid Space Opera. His latest, though, hit the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller list - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Yes it is a Star Wars book; yes it is a video game adaptation, but Sean is a terrific writer and I've no doubt this is a solid novel which as of this post is on my to-read pile.

So other folks, don't hesitate to give little author recommendations like I did above. I'll be adding to the thread regularly with similar author blurb/summaries as well as updated links.

Lastly, if you are asking for a recommendation, give us a hint of what you like so we have something with which to work.

Some recent threads to look into for recommendations.

We haven't had a Epic Fantasy specific thread in a while (though many of the threads are implied to discuss EP), so this one is fairly timely:
    Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read?

Often when a new author hits the scene, people want to know more about him or her. Well, Brent Weeks is new and causing something of a buzz, so check out this thread: Brent Weeks, new talent!

With Guy Gavriel Kay recently winning the World Fantasy Award for Ysabel, people may be curious about his other works.

The Fionavar Tapestry is his first major work, which has some heavy Tolkien influences. This is not too surprising since he helped Christopher Tolkien in editing some of J.R.R.'s notes and work. Essentially, Fionavar tells the story of some college pals who get swept away to a fantastical land, each becoming the avatar of a legendary hero. The story is fairly straightforward, but very dark in some spots as well.

Many of Kay's fans consider Tigana his defining and best work. The novel can rightfully be considered a modern classic and tells of a familiar land that has been all but removed from people's memory. Tigana, was in fact, our May 2003 Fantasy Book Club selection.

Kay's A Song for Arbonne is also a very good novel. The primary character, the mercenary Blaise is a man at odds with himself, his family and what his position means to the world at large. Blaiseís native land, Gorhaut, is ruled by the amoral King Ademar and the even less scrupulous High Elder and Chief Counsellor, Galbert, who also happens to be Blaiseís father. Blaise is a mercenary on a self-imposed exile besmirching his fatherís name and place in Gorhaut due to a treaty Galbert set up prior to the events of the novel.

In opposition to the male dominated Gorhaut is the female ruled Arbonne. While Arbonne does not overtly oppose Gorhaut, rather Galbert has a vendetta against the woman ruled land. Arbonne has echoes of Avalon in that it is surrounded by mystery and ruled by the Goddess. The novel begins with Blaise arriving at to the courts of Arbonne in his attempt to secure the troubadour Evrard as part of his job for a local duke. Blaise becomes involved in the eventual struggle between Arbonne and his once home nation of Garhaut. As the novel progresses, Blaise and the reader learn more about Arbonne, each characters ultimate connection to Arbonne and how they will play a role in Arbonneís destiny.

The strengths in this novel are Kayís magnificent descriptions of all things chivalric. From Blaiseís contemplations and declarations of his honor, to the battles fought, the sword fights, and the inner dialogue characters such as Rosala has with herself, Kay instills each scene, each interaction with a depth of respect and display of veneration that ultimately brings them from page to inner eye with great flair and reverence. Kay also evokes vivid imagery and settings through the songs his troubadours sing. In all Kay displays a talent for writing these scenes and interactions as if he lived during the time period (France in the years 1000 to 1200) in which this novel is based.

Here are the threads in our forum where you might be able to find some more about Guy Gavriel Kay:
    Just Finished Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
    GGK's Fionavar versus Hobb?
    Kay-esk novels
    Like Rassan then like Arbonne?
    April 05 BOTM: Sailing to Sarantium by GGK

Again, don't hesitate to add to those above-linked threads or to add some suggestions to this thread as well.*

* Of course if you are just posting to advertise your own work, that is considered spam and will be removed.

Literary Assassin Singularity101's Avatar

Red face

Can someone recommend an author whose writing style may be compared to that of Simon R. Green and Jim Butcher? I was just kind of curious. Thanks.

One of the threads I linked at the very top may be of assistance: Supernatural Fantasy: Ghosts, Vampires, Werefolk and Wizards

Charlie Huston is similar to Jim Butcher, in that he writes from a first person perspective and tackles vampires (or as they are called in his books, vampyres).

Mike Resnick, at least his first John Justin Mallory novel, Stalking the Unicorn has the same hard-boiled sensibilities.

Literary Assassin Singularity101's Avatar
    Much appreciated. I'll take a look. Thanks

Hey all, I've been reading fantasy books for a year or so now, but don't really have a large amount of experience/ idea of what good authors are out there, so I was wondering what authors you guys could recommend?

As a guideline to my taste I suppose it would be a good idea to let you know what I have read. I greatly enjoyed most of the Wheel of Time series, probably more than some since I only read it last year and didn't have to wait the almost 2 decades for the (hopefully soon to be released) ending, though I did find Winters Heart rather tedious. Knife of Dreams was good though.

I've also read all the books from Brandon Sanderson, including what he has released on his website for Warbreaker. While Elantris mostly failed to capture my interest, I quite enjoyed his Mistborn series and Warbreaker.

I've also read George RR Martins Song of Ice and Fire series, and greatly enjoyed it. I'll have to re-read it again when he releases A Dance With Dragons (though who really knows when that will be...)

Other authors I have read and enjoyed include: Ted Dekker, Elizabeth Haydon, Tolkien (of course), and I suppose I might as well admit that I enjoyed the Harry Potter series as well.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    First of all, why not try some oldies in addition to Tolkien? Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea cycle and The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny are two of my favs. The latter is especially very original.

A bout a week ago my roommate was reading a store called Masters Bloodline on his kindle. I've been reading it and i'm about one half way through, but so far it's a good read and its kinda Jim Butcher-ish. Well style wise anyway.
    Last edited by kater; January 2nd, 2011 at 11:03 AM.

I've asked for similar recommendations in the past, but didn't really get a response, so I going to broaden the search a bit.

I'm looking for stand alone novels with female protagonists and strong themes. Style is a major factor as well. I prefer prose that's all showing, no telling and has lots of dialogue. I want to learn about the world through characters' actions and words, not through info dumps. The less adverbs the better. Young Adult fiction is totally OK to add in there.

Authors I've read that fit this bill (but not all of them):

- Ursula K. Le Guin
    - Margaret Atwood
    - Robin McKinley
    - Sheri S. Tepper
    - Elizabeth Moon
    - Patricia A. McKillip
    - Patricia C. Wrede
    - Garth Nix

Thanks!

Lots of recommendations

I like action packed books with tough characters, or somewhat literate fantasy reads, but NOT tomes of wasted words or romancy fantasies.
    That said, here are some favorites or recent fairly new authors you might want to look atI won't bother with the obvious ones everyone reads, like Jim Butcher who is wonderful) (author with lst in series if there is a series). Some were already mentioned by others somewhere in this thread.

Well written, non-romancy vamps:
    Kim Newman - Anno Dracula (Queen Victoria marries
    Dracula- bloody and hilarious)
    Clay & Susan Griffith- The Greyfriar
    Ilona Andrews- Magic Bites (some schmaltz/romance)
    Armintrout, Jennifer- The Turning: Book1:
    Baker, Nancy-The Night Inside aka Kiss of the Vampire
    Bowen, Gary Diary of a Vampire

Action packed fantasies: I just loved these.
    Harry Connolly- Child of Fire
    Warren Ellis- Crooked Little Vein
    Kadrey, Richard Sandman Slim
    Bell, Alex The Ninth Circle
    Pratt T A (Tim) Blood Engines
    Saintcrow Lilith Working for the Devil
    Williams, Liz The Snake Agent

Weres/shifters
    Kelley Armstrong- Bitten
    Carrie Vaughn- Kitty and the Midnight Hour
    Patricia Briggs- Moon Called
    Cacek Patricia Canyons

Sword/sorcery but without the wasted words:
    Janrae Frank- In the Darkness Hunting (every word counts)
    Matthew Sturges- Midwinter
    Steven Brust- Taltos or The Lord of Castle Black

Vamps who are sort of anti-heroes (tough, brutal)
    Karen Taylor-
    Sherry Gottlieb - Love Bite
    Nancy Collins- Sunglasses after Dark
    Charlie Huston- Already Dead
    Cacek Patricia Night Prayers
    Garton, Ray Live Girls

vamps who help human friends or at least don't kill them
    Tanya Huff- Blood Price
    Mario Acevedo- Nymphos of Rocky Flats
    Martinez, A Lee Gil's All Fright Diner
    Simmons, William Mark 1-One Foot in the Grave
    Stein, Jeanne C The Becoming
    Thurlo, Graham Pale Death

Dragons
    Jaida Jones- HaveMercy (metal dragons with sentience)
    Naomi Novik- Dragons used as fighter planes against Napoleon- gentle, charming
    Alan Troop- The Dragon de la Sangre- Brutal, pragmatic, warning- children are special tidbits

Ron Sarti?

Is there any info about this author? I searched the net and could only find his "Chronicles Of Scar" triolgy which was penned in the mid 1990's. I was curious as to what became of this author.

Magic Is Awesome
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    I've asked for similar recommendations in the past, but didn't really get a response, so I going to broaden the search a bit.

I'm looking for stand alone novels with female protagonists and strong themes. Style is a major factor as well. I prefer prose that's all showing, no telling and has lots of dialogue. I want to learn about the world through characters' actions and words, not through info dumps. The less adverbs the better. Young Adult fiction is totally OK to add in there.

- Ursula K. Le Guin
    - Margaret Atwood
    - Robin McKinley
    - Sheri S. Tepper
    - Elizabeth Moon
    - Patricia A. McKillip
    - Patricia C. Wrede
    - Garth Nix

Thanks!
    I want to recommend Spirals of Destiny: Rider by Jim Bernheimer, but I have to mention that it's not a well known author, there's still only 1 book out from this series (and it ends with a cliffhanger), and it's not exactly amazing... But I did enjoy it, and it seems to fit your requirements.

Out of the authors you listed I've read Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin (it's one of my all-time favorites) and Abhorsen series by Garth Nix (also enjoyed it very much) so it could be that you'll like this book I mentioned...

- Ursula K. Le Guin
    - Margaret Atwood
    - Robin McKinley
    - Sheri S. Tepper
    - Elizabeth Moon
    - Patricia A. McKillip
    - Patricia C. Wrede
    - Garth Nix

Thanks!

You should try jacqueline carey - kushiels dart

This is part of a trilogy and although the books should be read in order each is a stand alone. I think you would enjoy this book.

Jay

- Ursula K. Le Guin
    - Margaret Atwood
    - Robin McKinley
    - Sheri S. Tepper
    - Elizabeth Moon
    - Patricia A. McKillip
    - Patricia C. Wrede
    - Garth Nix

Thanks!
    We like a lot of the same authors and style. Based on that I think you'd like:

Sherwood Smith's Inda series. I love these books and its one of my all time favorite fantasy series. I'm suprised its not mentioned more. That said, I really hated some of the YA stuff she has written.

Sharon Shinn - love all of her stuff including the Twelve Houses, Angel and YA stuff. I would compare her to Robin McKinley.

Lynn Flewelling - All her stuff is great, but only the Bone Doll's Twinn has a female protagonist.

You might like Michelle Sagara as well.

I enjoyed Kate Forsyth's books which all have strong female protagonists.

Tamora Pierce is more YA but well written and tells a good story.

Moira Moore is enjoyable humourous fantasy.

Not a female protagonist but I love Naomi Novik's books. Also Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett. They latter two have an Atwoodish wicked humor.