Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Another mini-spotlight C.S. Friedman

Friedman has been a published novelist/writer (at least) since her debut novel In Conquest Born was published by DAW in 1986. While a Science Fiction novel, it plays very well against the Cold War era in which the novel was written. Her second novel, also Science Fiction was The Madness Season.

However, it was with the publication of Black Sun Rising, the first installment of her Coldfire Trilogy in 1991 when she made even bigger waves. The trilogy has a fantasy feel, considering the important role magic plays in the story. However, the action of the novel actually takes place on a human-settled planet far into our future and also has gothic overtones as well as a hint of vampiric urban fantasy. These hints don't come fully into light at first, but provide a key element into the politics of the world. The other two books in the trilogy are When True Night Falls and Crown of Shadows.

Here's the entry on The Coldfire Trilogy on Friedman's Web site.

Other Science Fiction novels followed: This Alien Shore a solid science fiction novel and a New York Times Notable Book of the Year and The Wildling the follow-up/sequel to her first novel (In Conquest Born).

Her latest epic is The Magister Trilogy; the saga of a world divided by different methods of magic use and gender roles threatened by the return of demonic forces. The first installment, Feast of Souls was published to rather little fanfare (unfortunately) but very well received by those who read it, including myself. The second of the trilogy, Wings of Wrath, just published this month and is already accruing good word of mouth.

In all of her works (the only ones I haven't read are The Wildling and The Madness Season) she builds up a fully realized world, believable characters and manages to keep me turning the pages. Though not often mentioned in the same breath as Martin, Erikson, and Jordan as giants of Epic Fantasy, her work is consistent and most always engaging.

Here are some threads in our forums dedicated to her:
    C. S. Friedman
    November '06 Fantasy BOTM: Black Sun Rising by C. S. Friedman
    Coldfire Trilogy

I would recomend Christopher Paolini to any fantasy fan. The movie, eragon did NOT do the book justice, and I would say that he is by far my favorite author

There is also Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series. But I guess that would be more sci fi than fantasy.

But i'm always a sucker for a good fantasy-romance, so i'm open to reconendations...

Quote Originally Posted by garretmede View Post
    I would recomend Christopher Paolini to any fantasy fan. The movie, eragon did NOT do the book justice, and I would say that he is by far my favorite author
    A few days ago the movie came on TV. I watched it with a very low expectation and got positively surprised. I didn't read the book(s) nor knew any specifics but from somewhere I just had that opinion that I read it is supposed to be bad. Well it wasn't a masterpiece but enjoyable and interesting enough. There aren't that many Fantasy movies around and from those that are, it certainly wasn't the worst. The Dragon's CGI was quite well done, even if I found some movements a bit awkward. But they managed quite well to make her appear as a female Dragon and showing some emotion (though that's quite hard and is better done yet in Dragonheart, imho).

So afterwards I tried to find out why it's supposed to be bad and found out about the age of Paolini. While there are and were other young talented writers out there, I have to say I'm impressed. I don't have an immediate urge to read the book(s) now, even knowing that the plot in the movie is not the same as the one in the book, but I might pick them up somewhen. After all when I heard about the first Narnia movie, I also went out and grabbed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe fully knowing that it's a childrens book (not even YA) at the age of 27 and it wasn't the worst read of my life by far.

But i'm always a sucker for a good fantasy-romance, so i'm open to reconendations...
    Well if you're not aversed at the thought of a romance between human and dragon and some strong dragon characters, I'd recommend Elizabeth Kerner's Lanen Kaelar trilogy (Song in the Silence, The Lesser Kindred, Redeeming the Lost). Just watch out you don't accidentally grab the abridged/butchered first part that also exists.

Didn't want to start a new thread and didn't want to post in the other WoT thread since something else is being discussed, so I thought I might as well ask here.

Any of you fans/readers of Wheel of Time care to rank the novels in order of prefference? I'm on book 3, Dragon Reborn, at the moment, and curious of I what I might expect in a broad sense going forward. Don't really care much for the details (in fact would preffer no details), just a simple list ranking the novels so I can see what people feel are the strongest and weakest novels of the bunch.

Thanks for any help.

Question The Pirate King

Has anyone read the new book by R.A. Salvatore's "The Pirate King"? I was wondering if the new book was good and what could I expect.

I will probably order it off Amazon if it is good =)

Thanks in Advance...
    Last edited by Rob B; April 16th, 2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Signatures are not permitted

In Fantasy-land...where spell check does not exist...
    Hi, I was just looking around and cameon this thread, and I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations for me. I see a lot of books, but I don't know whichj ones to read and I would appreciate it if someone could help.
    To just give an idea, I really like epic fantasy.
    Some of my favorite series are Wheel of Time, Shannara (yes, I did really like it despite the closeness of it to Lotr), Dragonlance, Pellinor, and Black Jewels Trilogy. I recently read A Game of Thrones and really liked that one too.

I don't mind really long books or series (in fact I prefer them to standalone or short novels) but I am still looking around to see what the fantasy genre has to offer.

I generally do not like sci-fi-ish books much for some reason...I don't know I really vary, though my favorite is epic fantasy.

Any recomendations?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'll give you finished epic fantasy series.

Melanie Rawn's "Dragon Prince" and "Dragon Star" trilogies.

Kate Elliott's "Crown of Stars" (7 books)

Raymond E Feist's Riftwar Saga(Magician, Silverthorne and Darkness at Sethanon(sp?) and Empire trilogy. Read those two first then move onto his other stuff set in the same setting.

That should keep you entertained for awhile.

I know this comes up every now and then, but I couldn't seem to find anything about it.

What's the best order to read Moorcock's Elric series? I read this version:

I borrowed it from a friend who also had the rest of the series with a similar look, which are no longer in publication.

Now, there's the new Elric Stealer of Souls. Where does that fit in?

Please help me out, thanks.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, the complicated tale of Mike's publishing history.

Searching the word 'Moorcock' brings up 13 threads where I think your question is answered.

Try THIS ONE
    or THIS ONE
    or THIS ONE.

The word 'Elric' shows 214. Here are a couple that answer your question:

Elric.... aaaargh!!
    Elric Saga
    Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga

As Rob says, 'The Search button (or in this case, tag line) is your friend'.

(Try 'moorcock' as a tag.)

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Thanks Hobbit. I tried a search, but obviously not the right one.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It happens.

Hopefully though, the links are useful.

Slight update: The new Del Rey editions are meant to be definitive. Though I have a lovely set of UK hardbacks from about 10 years ago (and Mike sent me some lovely signed labels for them!) I am quite tempted to add the Del Rey editions too. But they are in paperback.

I've heard of (but not seen yet!) that there's a new collection due soon: The Best of Michael Moorcock.

Might be worth a look.

Mark
    Mark

Hey, Rob!

With the stickies pared down to a manageable few, shouldn't some links to older horror recommendation threads be included in this thread?

Randy M.

Ask and ye shall receive

Horror comes in many shapes and many forms. Just like Fantasy and Science Fiction, Horror has some of its own tropes and favorite themes that continually appear. Here are some threads covering some of those tropes:

Two of the most popular are VAMPIRES and ZOMBIES, though fantasy is co-opting the vampire trope a bit these days. Check out these threads:
    Best vampire novels?
    Vampires vs. Werewolves
    Any good zombie books?
    Zombies / Zombies in Fantasy? (merged)
    Zombie Fiction

Some general Horror Recommendation Threads:
    What Happened to Horror - Books.. and Movies? Help!
    Horror reading in 2008
    Horror reading in 2007
    Horror Reading in 2006
    What is the most terrifying horror novel?
    Question to horror types..
    Good Haunted House Novels?

Short Fiction:
    Best Horror Short Story Collections
    Best Horror short story

Popular/Acclaimed Authors:
    H.P. Lovecraft
    Clive Barker: Where to start?
    Best (not scariest) Steven King
    Stephen King Books You've Read/Own
    Thomas Ligotti - unsung Master of Horror
    Richard Laymon