Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    Is it fairly easy to read?
    Not stupid or anything, but some books are a real pain for me to read >.<
    Like Seak, I recently finished Gemmell's Legend and it is very easy to read. As far as fantasy fiction authors go, Gemmell probably gets more out of each word than any other. Seriously, most others would've taken a 300-ish page Legend and made it a trilogy of 500-ish page books.

If I can get a copy, I'll certainly give it a go.
    Either too much King or too little reading has left me finding books like LotR a real pain to read... And mine's split into 3 parts (I'm one of those people who finds an omnibus very hard to read).
    Thanks for the recommendation you two

Oh no, don't let Peter hear you speaking ill of the Omnibus .

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    (I'm one of those people who finds an omnibus very hard to read).
    What?

I think I'm going to be sick.

I'm now confused :P

Seriously, if all seven Dark Tower books were one book, I'd not be able to read it.

I'm now confused :P

Seriously, if all seven Dark Tower books were one book, I'd not be able to read it.
    From other threads, Pete is a huge omnibus buyer and pretty much the king in Omnibusland (is that the current name?).

For me, there's nothing better than a mass market paperback. It's lightweight, I can carry it anywhere and the feeling in my hand is the best. I own some omnibuses and they make a good break every now and then, but mmp for me all the way.

OK folks, let's keep this thread on topic, please. If you want to discuss the merits of omnibuses please take it to:

Omnibus Fantasy Books.

or for the ol' paperback v. hardcover debate:

Poll: Hardcover vs. Paperback? or Hardback or Paperback?

For varying opinions on Gemmell, we have tons of threads on him and Legend ready to read at the click of the ol' SEARCH function or you can review the many, may threads tagged with Gemmell

Last, but not least, Dwagginz -
    Regarding Conan, the first and most widely available edition would either be (depending on your country of origin) the first Gollancz Masterwork edition of Conan stories or Conan of Cimmeria: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian published by Del Rey.
    Last edited by Rob B; June 29th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks Rob, is this book also a good collection?
    http://snipurl.com/l456e

It's quite confusing

I don't have that particular version, but when it hit the shelves a couple of years ago, it generated quite a discussion:

Object of desire : The Chronicles of Conan (anniversary edition)

Also, here are threads tagged with Conan

Looking For...

Ok. So this would b my first forum deal. I came b/c i have read tons of sf books and am having a dificult time finding the good ones. Im going to try and keep it simple hopefully and i would love some suggestions on what to read. I burn through books at an alarming rate so length or epics are no problem, i actually prefer them. So here is kind of a list of favs and not so much books.

Awesome!
    The Dune Series-my absolute favorite
    The Termerer Series, The whole series was really good! -Naomi Novik
    The Sword of Truth series - Terry Goodkind
    Kingkiller chronicles wich were freakin awesome! - Ambercrombie
    The Name of the Wind.- Rothfuss
    Fire and Ice series - G.r.r Martin
    The Runelords series - Farland

The OKs
    Assassins Apprentice and such - Hobb
    Choice Weopons
    The after Frank Herbert Dunes -
    The Saga of the Seven Suns - K. J Anderson

The Not So Much
    The Malzan Empire books. Couldnt stand the way it was written
    N e thing by Terry Brooks
    Black Company or such

I probably left some out. Lately I love the brutality of ambercrombie. I love the dark humor and the fighting. I love unlikely heros and come from behind stories i think. but the hero has to have the ability to kick some realy freakin butt.

Also, just picked up Mistborn. So I hope its good. N E help would be great thanks

You might enjoy:

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
    Legend - Gemmell
    Chronicles of Amber - Zelazny

About first post - I likde Matthew Stover's Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle a lot, but was totally underwhelmed by Caine Black Knife. Blade of Tyshalle wrapped up the story nicely and attempt to reanimate it was complete failure. Disjoint plot, trivial message, complete suspense of disbelief. The Right Hand of God is kicked around by whoever take fancy? Earth elite invade again purely for entertainment, after it was consistently shown it's a question of their life or death? Yep, oppress people is bad however unsympathetic they could be, but does this trivial message worth a book? And on top of it no plot resolution whatsoever. My advice - just forget this book exist and consider Caine saga finished with Blade of Tyshalle.

recomm.

This is what i think. If u are begginer who is not just giving fantasy/SF a try I recommend jumping into fire - skip Tolkin and go for Gene Wolfe, Philip K.Dick, M.Peake!

If you live through that you have basic of being a real fantasy enthusiast!
    Last edited by LeStat; July 21st, 2009 at 02:25 AM.

Hey, Iím new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any epic fantasy novels for me to start reading

Iíve never read a fantasy novel before, but it seems like something I could really get into.

What Iím looking for first and foremost is a well written story with a thought out and engaging plot. Something with magic and battles, and preferably but not necessarily something with a sort of dark tone.

I like stories involving kingdoms and a under dog type of hero; a little romance is always good

A friend who is heavy into sci-fi recommended the chronicles of amber, but admits his never read it, any one care to put this novel into perspective regarding my above described interests?

Thanks in advance

Hi o-guy! Welcome to the forums.

Epic Fantasy is one of the top 2 or 3 segments of Fantasy and Science Fiction, so you've got a lot of writers and books from which to choose. How about this? I throw some author/book suggestions then follow it up with some threads that might be helpful. OK? Here goes:

Writers/Books:

Many people will suggested George R.R. Martin and he's probable the top writer in the field right now. I'd say hold off for a couple of reasons - his series isn't complete and you want to work you way up to the best.

Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn may work for you - it has elves (Tad calls 'em Sithi), magic, questy things, prophecy, and short-statured folk reminiscent of hobbits. This thread, as well as this thread might give you an idea of forum members' thoughts on the trilogy. I'm a big fan of these books.

Although only the first book has been completed Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind is terrific.

Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever are considered classics of the genre, too. Not nearly as upbeat as LOTR, but very engaging nonetheless.

Peter V. Brett recently launched a very good series with his novel The Warded Man - It tells of three young people coming together to combat nightly demon uprisings.

James Barclay has quite a lot of terrific novels on the shelves in the UK, most featuring his popular mercenary group The Raven. The first, Dawnthief will soon be published in the US.

Robin Hobb is well regarded in this forum, primarily for her trilogy of trilogies:
    The Farseer is the first and consists of Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assasin, and Assassin's Quest.

Of course there's Lord of the Rings, but you knew that already.

Raymond E. Feist doesn't get discussed much here, but his early novels are very entertaining and what many consider gateways into the world of fantasy. Give Magician a try.

Brandon Sanderson is a relatively new author but has banged out 5 big fat fantasy novels in a very short time. His Mistborn trilogy is solid, has
    great magic, very good characters and is complete. First book is The Final Empire

Here are those threads:

Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read? / Epic fantasy suggestions... (Merged)
    Fantasy Epics (Ones to read, ones to steer clear of)