Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries

whatshouldireadnext.com

While it can be hit or miss the website www.whatshouldireadnext.com is also a good place to start if you are looking for a book.

I will say that when the site misses it is off by miles. But nothing is perfect.

Here is the homepage blurb about the site:

Enter a book you like and the site will analyse our database of real readers'
    favourite books (over 65,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.
    (You can register on the results page and build your own favourites list)

what to read

I thought I
    Last edited by Horsip; September 26th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.

Hello,
    Just like some of the other posts in this thread, I'm new around here and joined the community to get ideas on what I should begin reading next. I'm fairly new to the genre and really have no idea where to go after I'm finished with the series of books I am currently working on.

On the advice of a friend, I picked up Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodking and began reading the series. At the moment I am working on book 8 (Naked Empire) and have enjoyed what I have read so far. The only exception being Books 3 (Blood of the Fold) and Book 7 (Pillars of Creation).

With the series growing closer to a close, I'm looking for suggestions on what to read next. I've gotten some random suggestions to check out Wheel of Time and a Story of Ice and Fire. I looked into picking up the first couple of books for one of the series, but I've come to learn they are not complete.

I would like to move into another series that is finished so that I don't find myself waiting for the last book(s) to be published. Any book that I pick up to follow the Sword of Truth series doesn't necessarily have to be a series, a single book would be just fine as well.

Being that the Sword of Truth Series is my only experience with this genre, I should probably make a couple of notes on what I've liked and disliked, so that suggestions would be easier to make.

I'm kind of torn on the lack of races in the book. I've loved movies with Elves, Dwarves, Humans, etc, but at the same time I didn't miss them in this series. I like that the story is fairly straightforward and easy to follow, but I wouldn't mind more twists along the way.

I often feel like the author thinks that his readers may have memory problems. The non-stop reminders of things in past books are not required and I would happily do without. While I can read through a couple of paragraphs detailing a rape in progress, I'm seeing it so often in these books I'm becoming numb to it.

Some books that I have enjoyed outside of the Wizards and Magic arena have been Velocity by Dean Koontz, the three Hannibal books by Thomas Harris (Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, and Hannibal), and a handful of Stephen King novels from back in my High School days.

While I'm unsure if any of this will help you make suggestions on my next book purchase, I look forward to any direction you may have on where to go from here. Even though I am a little ways out from finishing the series (3 Books and a Novella), I've been reading about a book per week and like to order things in advance so that I don't have to sit around and wait for the USPS/UPS/Fed-Ex truck to arrive with my order.

Also,
    Almost forgot to mention it. Someone recommended that I read Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward. On a whim I ordered it with the last of the Sword of Truth series. I haven't read it yet, but would like to know how it compares, if at all, to what i am currently reading.

Thanks
    -Walt

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Hiya Walt,

I've nothing on Eve Forward. Concerning finished series, there are several by many authors. You might try David Eddings (series: Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium, Tamuli), Terry Brooks (various Shannara series) and Raymond E. Feist (numerous series set in the world created first in Magician).

Other finished series, darker and more grim in content, would include: R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and Brian Ruckley's Godless World trilogy.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; July 30th, 2009 at 08:53 AM.

PeterWilliam,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've done a couple of quick searches on all of the titles mentioned and they seem very interesting.

I think I am going to start with David Eddings: Belgariad

-Walt

So I've really been in the mood to try some Stephen King lately. I've never read anything by him, but I own the first 3 books in the Dark Tower series. I figure I'll definitely like them, but I really need a stand-alone novel right now.

I've narrowed it down to The Stand and The Talisman. Which one should I get? They both seem really good and I've read nothing but good reviews on them.

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking for a new fantasy series to pick up. I really like political and military fantasy like A Song of Ice and Fire and Malazan. I've already some of the newer authors like Bakker, Abercrombie and Lynch. I've searched and can't find a solid recommendation along those lines. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, I've been looking into Earthsea. I see that there are about 5 novels and 7 short stories. Never been a fan of reading short stories, so before I start reading the novels I'm wondering if any of the short stories is crucial to the series or are the novels themselves enough to fully understand the series?

Thanks.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I figure I'll definitely like them, but I really need a stand-alone novel right now.

I've narrowed it down to The Stand and The Talisman. Which one should I get? They both seem really good and I've read nothing but good reviews on them.
    The Stand is wholly Stephen King wheras the Talisman was Peter Straub/Stephen King. Might help your choice. Out of those two I'd go The Stand myself, though I know RobB loves Talisman. (I keep meaning to reread that one myself.) You've picked two great doorstops though, Seak. Personally i'd go for something like Firestarter or The Dead Zone to start with. Shorter, yet you still get the idea of King's writing.

Tripping: sounds like you might be one for David Anthony Durham's Acacia.

Hi, I've been looking into Earthsea. I see that there are about 5 novels and 7 short stories. Never been a fan of reading short stories, so before I start reading the novels I'm wondering if any of the short stories is crucial to the series or are the novels themselves enough to fully understand the series?
    My advice would be to start with the first three books. See how you feel after that.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; August 7th, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Mark

Thumbs up Hey Seak!

I started reading Stephen King a long time ago and love his creations!!

I have read and enjoyed so many of his books!

I see Hobbit has given his point of view that you should read The stand first...but I on the other hand prefer you begin with The Talisman!! hahaha!!
    Yes...both Peter Straub and Stephen King collaborated on this great book, and I truly find it to be one of the better reads all around!

Sorry to disagree with you Hobbit...hahaha!! But I will say the Stand is still a magnificent piece of writing!!

His epitaph, of course, is the Dark Tower series and you will really enjoy this!!

have fun reading, Shayna

In Fantasy-land...where spell check does not exist...
    Hello,
    I have decided that I want to read some really cliche fantasy. I don't particularly know why...
    Maybe because so many of the popular books now are books that are "different" that are particularly Not Cliche. I have been reading these a lot lately and have found myself wanting to read some of that stuff taht they are different from.
    I want to read about elves that live in forests and are always inexplicably graceful and rangers and epic battles between Good and Evil, improbable heros, dwarves, dragons, and all the rest.

No idea why this sudden urge has come upon me, but it has. I guess that so much of the stuff out there is so Original and Different that it will be different for me to read tjose books that they are different from. Forme right now, "different" has become the cliche and all that cliche stuff is different.

So, can anyone recomend me the most cliche, elves-and-dragons types of books/series that you know? If you know of any good ones, with good writing that you liked despite the cliche-ness, that would be great. Length of series is no issue, I like long serieses (as long as they are good).

So I was in a couple weeks ago trolling for suggestions on what to read. I picked up Brent Weeks' The Way of Shadows and I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the suggestion! I love the book and I can't wait to finish the series.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Other finished series, darker and more grim in content, would include: R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy and Brian Ruckley's Godless World trilogy.
    I would agree that Prince of Nothing by Bakker and Godless World by Ruckley is a darker and grim series. Both series are completed.

Still on the fence on PoN but I did enjoy Godless World quite a bit.

hi Excellent! Thanks for your posting.
    free tattoo removal cream before and after lazer prices this is the blog for tattoo removal cream prices and cost. the best cream to pruchase free tattoo removal cream before and after lazer prices
    Last edited by abbeybrooke; September 3rd, 2009 at 04:42 AM.

Hello everyone.

I am looking for something specific in either sci-fi or fantasy. If it's fantasy, I would prefer it to not be modern.

I'm looking for more 'feminist' stuff. Stuff like Margaret Atwood, Sheri S. Tepper, Elizabeth Moon, Angela Carter, but, please, no Marion Zimmer Bradley. I really don't like her writing. I don't like feminist writing where the women are so obviously different from the men. I mean, cultural/social differences are fine, but I prefer books where, if there's magic, both women and men have it.

The stuff I've been reading lately has lots of action and a fast pace. I would prefer suggestions that contain those things as well.

Suggestions?

And thank you.