Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Hi, this is my first time on the forums, and of course, I'm looking for recommendations!

I want something that's traditional fantasy, with magic, and follows one main protagonist. I like books in which the protagonist is talented or clever or the like (cheesy, I know).
    I don't want anything with a huge cast of characters, I want a main character to love!
    A series would be nice, if possible.

I've recently read and enjoyed:
    The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
    Everything by Cecilia Dart-Thornton.
    American Gods, Neil Gaiman
    The Chronicles of Narnia, CS Lewis
    Nearly all Garth Nix (getting a bit old for it now, though)
    A Game of Thrones, George RR Martin

I don't really like:
    Terry Pratchett
    David Eddings

Thanks for any help!

Question Fairly new to fantasy / Sci Fi and looking for good reads!

Hi,

I have recently just re-joined the library and am trying to read more SciFi and fantasy...
    I recently read Acheron (A Dark Hunter novel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon and could not put it down.
    I enjoy reading about Greek, Roman Mythology, Vampires, WereWolves etc(Loved The True Blood series).
    Being a girl, I like the romancey/racy side of things as well...

Would be happy to take any suggestions! Thanks.

If you like the romantic side with vampires, I would recommend J R Wards' series of books starting with Dark Lover! Check it out!

Thanks Shayna!

your Welcome Lindsay! There are so many more...if you would like a list of books just message me and i will get back to you! have fun!

Shayna!

Where to go next

Hi all, I'm brand new here and am hoping to find some new-to-me books to add to my summer lineup. I appologize for the wordy post, hopefully it's in the right place!

Here's what I'm working with:

LIKED:

George RR Martin: Great characters that drew me in, no fear of killing some off, never sure where exactly they're going to go.
    Steven Erikson: Big and meaty! I like books that are a bit challeging. Love that you never know where you're going to be going, what characters are going to meet, and what's going to happen to them there. I like the ambiguity of "good" and "bad" characters, lots of grey areas which is delightful. Disliked: too much military strategy in some of the later books, I skimmed over a lot of the battle scenes, and I don't mind gore but not for gore's own sake.
    Gene Wolf: Dark, non LOTR style (I don't mind elves and dwarves and sword quests but it does get tiring), moments of absolutely beautiful writing.
    Robert Jordan: Yes terribly cliche, but guilty pleasure I read and loved the entire WoT series, I can't quite put my finger on why. I like the approachability and personability of the writing, and interplay with various characters. It was like a good blockbuster movie, it wasn't the best writing or the best story, but still terribly entertaining and a good story!
    Frank Herbert: The Dune series was terrific... A complete lack of elves, dwarves and swords, interesting and detailed settings without talking about boring things like flowers or castles. And, great complex writing without an overkill of adjectives
    Tad Williams: I read Tailchasers song years and years ago and absolutely loved it. I read DragonBonechair and otherland series, enjoyed then. However I don't know if I'd enjoy TW as much now, having being spoiled by darker more complex writing since.

Dislike:
    Guy Gavriel Kay: So boring... Obviously cliche one dimensional characters, the entire world of the book felt "small" to me. I read the Tigana book half way, and found the entire crux of the book (not being able to say the word of a mysterious dead city?) very silly and uninteresting.
    Terry Brooks: Yawn.... more boring than Kay... Horribly cardboard cast, boring rendition of LOTR, every character is obviously "good" or "bad" with absolutely no ambiguity, you knwo from page two that your attractive but unassuming hero is giong to go on a quest for quest item B with his gradually assembled quest-group of unlikly allies. Pass.
    Terry Goodkind: I actually enjoyed the first two-ish books, however this was years ago. Small cast but strong characters, undergoing pretty big challenges that were different than the usual cliches. I got bored with the later books in the series as it felt like they were starting to become money-milking things that were wordy without adding value, and just drawing things out. Kindof like a movie that went WAY too far in sequels after the real crux of the characters was solved.

GENERAL:
    Grey-characters with "real" faults/strengths: I don't mind a good old powerful hero, but i prefer when characters aren't cliche and obviously good or evil. It's nice when you can't really tell, because nothing ever is that straight forward!
    Unpredictable plots: It's nice when you read chapter 1 and you don't already know the entire plot line of the story. I'm more of a fan of plots that are complicated without the *gasp* mid-book totally random twist. My main reason for liking Erikson is his unpredictable, but not PLOTTWIST plotlines.
    Emotion invoking writing: If a book can make me cry, it scores big points! That doesn't mean I enjoy tear-jerker baby-dying books just because sake, but if a book can make me care enough about a character that I tear up at either happy or sad moments, that's awesome.
    Character connections: I love character interplay, I like when I connect with a character, and when a character connects with another. Not just BFF connections either, realistic and engrosing character interplay, both positive and negative and all those grey areas are great.
    Complicated, well thought out and engrosing writing: Over description of scenes with a thousand different adjectives does not count as good writing! Writers with a great grasp of language and great writing skills will draw me in.
    Big!: (obviously since my own post is enormous :P) I like having to chew on a book for a while. Nothing is so disappointing as finishing a book in two days just when I was getting excited about it. I'm delighted by a big page count, as long as it's full of more than just filler adjectives!

DISLIKE:
    Boring cookie cutter plots and characters. I hate meeting the "hero" on page one and knowing eactly what he's all about immediately. Zzz...
    Over descriptive writing that doesn't add value: See above but endless strings of adjectives drive me crazy.

I'm less picky about the topic of a book than I am about the style, character development, depth, and authors talent. If it's a good book it doesn't matter what it's about! I'm not married to the fantasy genre, I've just found my favorite books here so continue to look for more there. I'm sure there's a ton of SF stuff (???) out there that I haven't even tapped, with the depth and complexity I'm after, but I don't know where to begin

R. Scott Bakker - The Prince of Nothing trilogy. Especially if you like Erikson and Martin.

Picked up a few horror novels the other day from the local used bookstore: Naomi by Douglas Clegg, Lost Boy Lost Girl by Peter Straub, and The Everlasting by Tim Lebbon. I've been feeling the need for a horror fix lately, and I've often seen Clegg, Straub, and Lebbon recommended, but I've yet to give them a try (other than Lebbon, on the fantasy side). Any recommendations out of those 3 as to what to start first?

Also been meaning to give David Gemmell a try, so I picked up Sword in the Storm. It was $3 and the only Gemmell they had. Would this be a good place to start with Gemmell, or should I pick up something else by him?

Thanks

Hey guys well I'm new here and I found this topic for recommendations but it seems to be really old.

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...p?t=200&page=7

I'm looking for a new series to read! I want a series that has at least three books to it, it can be a series that is still ongoing or is completed. . . although if its completed I'd prefer more then three books.

I want something I can lose myself in, something where I discover the universe in the book along with the main characters.

Recently I've read The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. The first three books, and the Temple of Winds, and the last book The Confessor where my favorites. . . the rest kind of meh.

After that I read The Chronicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin. I enjoyed this series, and its still ongoing. My only disappointment was that the last book in the series, "Dark Lady's Chosen.", was only 300 something pages.

I'm looking for something with magic in it with a developing main character who is somewhat younger in age who has to go out on some epic quest.

In the less recent past I've read the Wheel of time Series, LOTR and the hobbit, Harry Potter, The Inheritence Cycle (still ongoing), and all the Anne Rice vampire novels.

So far I've just been going to the Fantasy Section in Barnes and Nobles but last time I didn't find much except for the Necromancer Chronicles.

Thanks in Advance!

Well after reading many of the other topics I was directed too I've decided on reading the series "A Song of Fire and Ice", by George R. R. Martin. I'm about to begin reading the pdf online and if I like this series I plan to purchase the books.

I like the flexibility that comes with actually having the book, I can read it anywhere! =)

This series really drew me in after reading this paragraph on the wiki.

The narrative is set primarily in the fictional Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, a large, South America–sized[12] continent with an ancient history stretching back some twelve thousand years, and where the seasons last for years. The original inhabitants of the land were the Children of The Forest (whose old gods are still worshipped in the North), a diminutive race who lived in harmony with nature and employed powerful magic. The First Men, a civilization of primitive warriors wielding bronze weapons and riding horses, crossed over from the eastern continent via a land bridge (destroyed in the resulting conflicts) and fought a series of wars against the Children which ended with the Pact of the Isle of Faces being signed, with the First Men taking control of the open lands and the Children remaining in the forests.
    Looks like I'm going to have some fun for a while!

Any other suggestions? =s

Quote Originally Posted by Acton View Post
    Well after reading many of the other topics I was directed too I've decided on reading the series "A Song of Fire and Ice", by George R. R. Martin. I'm about to begin reading the pdf online and if I like this series I plan to purchase the books.

I like the flexibility that comes with actually having the book, I can read it anywhere! =)

This series really drew me in after reading this paragraph on the wiki.

Looks like I'm going to have some fun for a while!

Any other suggestions? =s
    Posted some in your other thread:
    http://sffworld.com/forums/showpost....04&postcount=2

Double post, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    Thanks Shayna!
    I have now tried twice to send you a list of books, but for some reason you can not recieve my messages. please get a hold of me!

Thumbs up

Under The Dome!! As good as The Stand! I just love to read his books! I know there are a lot of Stephen King fans out there...and, if you haven't picked this one up...go! He is definitely at his best writing a big book like this. The characters, the plot...the Thrill!!! yessss! I mean ask yourself this....do you enjoy a good story and having a great storyteller like stephen is essential in writing a great novel as he does so well!

i enjoyed it tremendously, Shayna

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndsay View Post
    Hi,

I have recently just re-joined the library and am trying to read more SciFi and fantasy...
    I recently read Acheron (A Dark Hunter novel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon and could not put it down.
    I enjoy reading about Greek, Roman Mythology, Vampires, WereWolves etc(Loved The True Blood series).
    Being a girl, I like the romancey/racy side of things as well...

Would be happy to take any suggestions! Thanks.
    Check out Nalini Singh, Marjorie Liu and Anne Bishop.