Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HeclaBull View Post
    Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains and Cold Commands are modern fantasy books that I think come the closest to Abercrombie's style. I think you'd probably also enjoy Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series.

Rylie, you'd probably like them too.

Thankyou

So in the past six months I have read:

A Song of Ice and Fire series released thus far
    The Wheel of Time series released thus far
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    The first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles
    The First Law series

Looking for some advice on what to read next. Basically really love the tone and grit of the MBotF and the First Law series and rough but interesting characters like Fiddler, Smiles, Ninefingers, and Ferro. That said, I really need good resolution in a book. The ending of the First Law series absolutely killed me; I cannot read another book like that.

Beyond tone, I am a sucker for traditional sword, magic, quest, and fellowship type stories with a romance or two tossed in for good measure. I loved the Wheel of Time as well for these reasons primarily.

Sorry for the rambling post, but hopefully you guys have some good suggestions. I believe I am going to start on The Black Company novels for now.

Hi Wulfgang, welcome to SFFWorld.

I'd recommend Glen Cook, whose written quite a few fantasy series.

The Black Company and The Dread Empire are two that might match with the same sensibilities as what the books you mentioned have in common. In addition, Erikson has cited Cook as a major influence.

Matt Stover's Heroes Die should work for you too, but that may lead you to the other books in that series - Blade of Tyshalle, Caine Black Knife and Caine's Law.

Daniel Abrahams The Dagger and the Coin series, which is thus far comprised of The Dragon's Path and The King's Blood should work for you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    So in the past six months I have read:

A Song of Ice and Fire series released thus far
    The Wheel of Time series released thus far
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    The first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles
    The First Law series

Looking for some advice on what to read next. Basically really love the tone and grit of the MBotF and the First Law series and rough but interesting characters like Fiddler, Smiles, Ninefingers, and Ferro. That said, I really need good resolution in a book. The ending of the First Law series absolutely killed me; I cannot read another book like that.

Beyond tone, I am a sucker for traditional sword, magic, quest, and fellowship type stories with a romance or two tossed in for good measure. I loved the Wheel of Time as well for these reasons primarily.

Sorry for the rambling post, but hopefully you guys have some good suggestions. I believe I am going to start on The Black Company novels for now.
    You are right up my alley. Those are all my favorites.

The ones I am looking forward to reading next are:
    Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
    Prince of Nothing - Scott Bakker
    Gentlemen Bastard Sequence - Scott Lynch

Thanks Chris and Rob B. I actually decided to go with the Mistborn series by Sanderson since The Black Company wasn't available on Kindle or in any stores near me. It is pretty fantastic and I've been enjoying it since I'm somewhat used to Sanderson from the last few WoT books after Jordan passed. His writing and description is somewhat less than an Erikson or Jordan, but the plot and ideas thus far in the first Mistborn book have been superb. The whole "magic" system is really unique and cool as well, which is surprising to me given the amount of fantasy I've read. There's also a lot less philosophy / introspection than the MBotF which is preferable to me. Would highly recommend it Chris since I see it's on your to-do list.

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    You should try the Ryiria Revelations by Michael Sullivan for good characterization and epic adventures. Also The Chatthrand Voyage by Robert V S Reddick and Mistborn by Sanderson if you haven't already.
    Just wanted to stop by and thank you for recommending my series - Which is impossible to spell: Riyria Not your fault - it happens all the time - I guess if I thought it had a chance of becoming popular I would have come up with an easier name.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    Just wanted to stop by and thank you for recommending my series - Which is impossible to spell: Riyria Not your fault - it happens all the time - I guess if I thought it had a chance of becoming popular I would have come up with an easier name.
    I recommend you change the name then, Michael. lol Just kidding, I've only read the first Riyria book so far, I'd like to get around to finishing it.
    I always pimp the Chathrand series, I love it.
    And I need to get around to Mistborn, seems like most people's favorite of Sanderson's.

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    I recommend you change the name then, Michael. lol Just kidding, I've only read the first Riyria book so far, I'd like to get around to finishing it.
    I always pimp the Chathrand series, I love it.
    And I need to get around to Mistborn, seems like most people's favorite of Sanderson's.
    Haha - should have thought about that long ago - but I wasn't planning on publishing - doh!

I've not read Reddick yet but need to.

Sanderson is very good - I enjoyed Mistborn a great deal - he really knows how to start of a book with a lot of action.

Rogue Warrior
    You all need to read Reddick.

Have to get Mistborn like I said someday.

I'd recommend God's War I'm halfway thru this, its cool, my people.

Rogue Warrior
    Is Glen Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night series good? I'm sure this has some fans.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some new fantasy reads.
    Next on my list is the Wheel of Time series (and I dont want to read the whole series in one go) and since im a pretty fast reader I'd like a few other books to have on hand.

Something similar to these would be great:

-The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series by Steven Erickson <--(****This is my favorite series right now****)

-A Song of Ice and Fire Series (Game of Thrones) by George RR Martin

- King Killer Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) by Patrick Rothfuss

-The Prince of Nothing by R Scott Bakker

-The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

-Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

-King Rat/Perdido Street Station/The Scar by China Mieville

-The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

-The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King

-The Fade by Chris Wooding

-The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks (Didnt like this one that much)

-The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K leGuin

-Flesh and Spirit/Breath and Bone by Carol Berg

-Wraeththu by Storm Constantine

-Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

-Scar Night (Deepgate Codex) by Alan Campbell (the last book in this series was a bit of a disappointment but I loved the first two)

-The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

-The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn Peeke

-The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R, Donaldson

-Lamentation by Ken Scholes

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Hi Unassailable,

Since you've already listed Wooding's The Fade, I would recommend givining his Braided Path series a try.

Unassailable, seeing as Malazan is your favorite series, you should check out Michelle West's The Sun Sword series. Besides being almost as huge in scope, it shares a lot of other similarities to the Malazan Book of the Fallen and is an excellent read.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar

Lazy - yep

Right, I have just bought one of those kindle things.

I need to fill it with great fantasy.

I just finished China Mieville's Embassytown - Loved Perdido Street Station and The Scar, not that fussed with Embassytown but liked some of it.

I'm looking for something that I will enjoy based on the fact I love the following authors:

• Joe Abercrombie
    • Scott Lynch
    • Matthew Stover
    • Peter V Brett

Hit me.

juzzza,

Have you tried Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin by Douglas Hulick?