Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    [Insert Witty Title] AlvinFlummox's Avatar
    Most of Dan Abnett's work has been sf, as far as I am aware, and is primarily set in the Warhammer 40k universe. I would say that the Gaunt's Ghosts books, beginning with First And Only (or The Founding omnibus, depending on how old the used books are), are the best place to start. If I remember correctly, you don't really need to know too much about the 40k universe to follow the first book. I think Rob did a review of The Founding a couple of months ago, it's probably worth checking that out too.
    His Eisenhorn trilogy (either in omnibus form, or beginning with Xenos) is also well worth a look, but probably requires slightly more background knowledge about the universe.
    His books do have the occasional bits of humour in them, but no more than any other author really; Triumff was the exception, rather than the rule!

Great Stuff Coming Up

It's hard to tell on this forum if the recommendations are for teens or adults. I'd think stuff like the Lightning Thief would be for the younger crowd.

Anyways, there's so much coming this year it's simply spectacular. Sanderson's releasing more of the Wheel of Time Finale, Rothfuss' next Day Two book, Martin's next installment, JV Jones' series...
    Here's a pretty comprehensive list.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Walt,

The Malloreon will be more of the same. Its just Belgariad, part 2. Farseer would be a better pick to head into, imo.

I recall that you prefer a completed series, and in that case, I would recommend the numerous works surrounding The Black Company, by Glen Cook. Its definitely an adult, hard bitten and salty series about a veteran mercenary company.
    Thank you for the recommendations once again. I hopped over to amazon to construct a wishlist that I could begin purchasing from (Added all of the Malazan Books of the Fallen as per Seak's suggestion). When I began researching The Black Company by Glen Cook, it seems that Book 2 of Books of the North is out of print. The novel The White Rose appears available but commands a price of $83.99 (which is far beyond what I am comfortable playing for a mass market paperback) Used copies of this same novel seem to run around $45 each (again more than I am interested in paying for mass market paperback).

Should I be starting with the earlier releases of The Black Company novels or can I jump into the story with the newer and more readily available releases without loosing out on the story?

On a side note, I have started in on the Farseer Trilogy and think it is fantastic. I have read through Assassin's Apprentice and am roughly 200 pages into Royal Assassin. I have already added Liveship Traders and Tawny Man to my list of books to buy.

With this information, do you still feel that The Black Company is a good fit and is it worth trying to track down that second novel at a used book store?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Thank you for the recommendations once again. I hopped over to amazon to construct a wishlist that I could begin purchasing from (Added all of the Malazan Books of the Fallen as per Seak's suggestion). When I began researching The Black Company by Glen Cook, it seems that Book 2 of Books of the North is out of print. The novel The White Rose appears available but commands a price of $83.99 (which is far beyond what I am comfortable playing for a mass market paperback) Used copies of this same novel seem to run around $45 each (again more than I am interested in paying for mass market paperback).

Should I be starting with the earlier releases of The Black Company novels or can I jump into the story with the newer and more readily available releases without loosing out on the story?

On a side note, I have started in on the Farseer Trilogy and think it is fantastic. I have read through Assassin's Apprentice and am roughly 200 pages into Royal Assassin. I have already added Liveship Traders and Tawny Man to my list of books to buy.

With this information, do you still feel that The Black Company is a good fit and is it worth trying to track down that second novel at a used book store?
    There are some pretty nice omnibus versions of The Black Company books available. I've read the first two and they are definitely worth a read. Bookdepository has them all:

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...-Black-Company
    http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9...s-of-the-South

I haven't read the last two, but the first omnibus to read is The Chronicles of the Black Company, and then the Books of the South. I can't remember what order the last two go in, as I haven't read them yet, but that'll be easy enough to figure out. Hope this helped.

I feel like dipping a toe back into some epic fantasy and trying out Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Any dire reasons I shouldn't? I read the reviews on this site, and some on Amazon and it looks promising.

I'm not a huge epic fantasy fan, but I have read and enjoyed Hobb's Apprentice and Tawny Man books, Tolkien of course, The first two and a half of the GRRM saga, and most recently the first four of Jim Butcher's Calderon books.

Looks like the biggest criticism the books get is on lack of characterization. Most feel the overall storyline makes up for this.

I DID try to search for Mistborn in the forums but didn't get very far.

Blog Entries
    When I read that Brandon Sanderson would be writing the final books of the Wheel of Time series I decided to try some of his stuff while waiting for book 12 of the WoT and thus I found the Mistborn series. I enjoyed it a great deal and found the powers exhibited by those with powers very refreshing and different from reading yet another book about someone being born with 'the gift'. While the story works well and many elements were new and refreshing I do agree that some (not all) of the characters where not fleshed out as well as I might have liked but I found it no real deterrent to pouring through and enjoy all three of the books. Like any other series, it will not please everyone but I did enjoy it and especially enjoyed findind a series I liked that ended intelligently, satisfyingly, and did not leave me wondering when or if the author would ever finish up the series (rest the soul of Roberty Jordan and a not so gentle shove to GRRM....). Enjoy!
    Roy

Sanderson

I liked Mistborn quite a bit more than I liked Elantris. Sanderson isn't my favorite author, but I was certainly interested to hear that he's finishing the Wheel of Time... although after waiting years, I'm not sure I remember enough... and I'm NOT reading them all again, especially not the last two... I'll find a good summary somewhere to catch me up on the story before heading into Sanderson's conclusion(s).

More of a query than a direct recommendation.
    Are there any good "Dark Fantasy" books I should really pick up? I've got A Game Of Thrones to read and I plan to pick up both Witcher novels by Andrzej Sapkowski along with the second Dragon Age novel (The Calling) by David Gaider.

I have a dark fantasy recommendation!

Maledicte by Lane Robins

It is a court intrique/revenge story set in a corrupt city with a corrupt government similar to, I'd say, Louis XVI. I found this book on the new shelf at the library and was very pleasantly surprised at how involving it was. The story is stand alone and ends satisfyingly.

There is a second book which picks up one of the other characters and tells a different story set after the envents of the first book, it is Kings and Assasins. I wouldn't exactly call it a sequel. Rather a branching off.

Yes, I'm being vague. I'm not good at reveiwing and tend to give too much up. So check out the synopsis on Amazon.com.

Shall go for a wander to Amazon and give it a look

Hi posted this last time and got a lot of good responses.
    Hi I'm looking for a new series of books to read Some of the books I've read are

The Wheel of time series I liked every book
    The farseer trilogy I really like this too but the second and third books had sections that I though were very wordy
    the Dark Swrord trilogy I really liked it untill they started bringing space ships and other stuff I dont like things like space ships, phasers, guns, cars, or telephones in my fantasy books. Strange becuase I've read pretty much every Star Wars book they have.

I also pretty much only like books or series that have happy endings. If a some of the books end on a bad note that doesn't bother me but as long as in the end things work out for good.
    The same still applies. No aleins or sci fi and I'd like to read a complete series or book not one that has 2 books out of 3 finished lol. I'm just impatient.

Beefy- I'd recommend trying Dave Duncan's series "A Man of His Word" The first book is the Magic Casement. I think you'll enjoy that series based on what you've liked so far

Thanks Daine. I looked it up on like and it seems to be exactily what Im looking for. If the book store has it I will pick it up today if not I will order it off of amazon.

Grr... posted in wrong thread... ignore...
    Last edited by Raule; March 3rd, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Just skipped through the thread and now have a major list of books and authors to try!

Read a lot of fantasy when younger, then more horror, but now always on lookout for something different.

Recent books I've read and recommend (depending on what you like)

Nobody True by James Herbert, written from the point of view of a recent murdered guy trying to make sense of what happened.

Discoredia by J.C Michael, picked this up at a car boots sale as only 20p and was pleasantly surprised (a bit jumbled genre wise between horror and fantasy but with a few really effective scenes.)

Eragon. Some folks slate me for liking it but it was in a hotel library, I'd finished the books I'd taken, and for an easy beach read it did the trick