Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vangel View Post
    Has anyone read "Seventh Son" by Orson Scott Card? The book was nominated for the World Fantasy Award and Hugo Award back in 1988. Is this book worthwhile?
    I read it a long time ago, I remember really liking it, but never picked up the rest of the series. Can't remember much, but it's Card, so you really can't go wrong

Thanks SeaBeast.
    Lately I'm interested in pre-Tolkien books. Has somebody read "The Emperor of Dreams" by Clark Ashton Smith?

Thanks SeaBeast.
    Lately I'm interested in pre-Tolkien books. Has somebody read "The Emperor of Dreams" by Clark Ashton Smith?
    This is just one of many remixes of his short stories; for instance, late last year Prime Books issued The Return of the Sorceror. I haven't read either of these because I'm in the process of collecting the hardcover complete fantasy series Night Shade has published.

A few years ago I read an older compilation of related stories,Zothique. Some of the stories forming that collection are also in The Emperor of Dreams and I would strongly recommend them (and I really wish someone would reissue Zothique). I truly enjoyed how Smith could combine the strangeness of time and place and necromancy with the decadence of a dying civilization, a sense of adventure and some of the more chilling scenes I've come across in Weird Tales fiction. That collection also held some of the best prose I've come across from the old pulp fiction of the 1920s and '30s.

Randy M.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    I also just started getting in Mr. Smith's work. Night Shade Books has printed all his works in a 5 volume collection recently. A friend of mine who love old S&S stuff fawns over CAS Zothique stories, so I imagine they are pretty damn good. So far I'm really digging his writing style and use of imagery (something key to Weird Tales writers). His tales are both disturbing and beautiful.

I'm also a big fan of "pre-Tolkien" fantasy. An excellent author worth checking out is E.R. Eddison, his writing style can be a little dense (especially since he sort of re-adapts the english language). But his imagintive style and original story in The Worm Ouroboros is just outstanding. I've also heard his Zimiamvian trilogy is supposed to be excellent.

Also Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy should be good stuff. I plan to read it sometime in the future. Have you read the trilogy?
    Last edited by vangel; May 4th, 2010 at 04:55 AM.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    I started the trilogy a while back but never actually finished it. The writing style is quite complex and very discriptive. Also from what i could tell it was far from your average fantasy series, more about politics, traditons and character interactions, than quests and magic.

I want to give it another shot, maybe even this summer. I was in University at the time with a large workload.

There's a few things I'm thinking about, but I'm not sure. Basically, I want to branch out a little, so I'll ask for a recommendation for a few things.

1. Steampunk (or Steampunk-esque) novels.
    2. Princess-Turned-Hero (Not the Princess series by Jim C. Hines, please. I have it ) or other strong female protagonists/main characters.
    3. Fairly comedic/light hearted fantasy novel/series.
    4. Dark fantasy in the vein of The Witcher & ASoIaF, but without ASoIaF's complexity

Basically, easier to read the better. I think my preference would be YA > Teen > "Adult", and I think I'd prefer standalone to series, but that's not as big a concern.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    There's a few things I'm thinking about, but I'm not sure. Basically, I want to branch out a little, so I'll ask for a recommendation for a few things.

2. Princess-Turned-Hero (Not the Princess series by Jim C. Hines, please. I have it ) or other strong female protagonists/main characters.
    4. Dark fantasy in the vein of The Witcher & ASoIaF, but without ASoIaF's complexity

Basically, easier to read the better. I think my preference would be YA > Teen > "Adult", and I think I'd prefer standalone to series, but that's not as big a concern.
    My recommendation for steampunk would be Chris Wooding's Retribution Falls. Quick light hearted read that parallels the Firefly series in the beginning.

For comedic/light fantasy I would go with anything maybe Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle) or possibly Christopher Moore or Neil Gaiman.

For comedic I would recommend Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (a standalone novel) and the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. If you like Good Omens then you would like the Discworld series and if you start with Discworld then start with The Colour of Magic.

Blog Entries
    For comedic I would recommend Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (a standalone novel) and the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. If you like Good Omens then you would like the Discworld series and if you start with Discworld then start with The Colour of Magic.
    Good Omens just did not do it for me, I think that I am not a Sir Pratchett fan.

There are a couple of books I have read recently that might be what you are looking for. Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - It has both a hero and heroine! loved this book! Also i believe you would enjoy Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. Both YA and absolutely great!

Another i can recommend you would be Boneshaker by Cherie Priest! Steampunk style! I had fun with all these books. i got into steampunk just over a few months now and have been reading quite a few books in this genre. If you haven't read phillip pullman, his dark materials trilogy(the golden compass, etc...), I would read those!

Chris Wooding has a book called The haunting of Alaizabel Cray. You might first think it is horror, but it really is on the side of steampunk.

China Mieville, of course, writes great books! one you might get into is Un lun Dun! Another YA novel!
    There are so many out there!

When you want to read others, there is a list of steampunk books out there! Have fun!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayna View Post
    There are a couple of books I have read recently that might be what you are looking for. Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld - It has both a hero and heroine! loved this book! Also i believe you would enjoy Incarceron by Catherine Fisher. Both YA and absolutely great!

Another i can recommend you would be Boneshaker by Cherie Priest! Steampunk style! I had fun with all these books. i got into steampunk just over a few months now and have been reading quite a few books in this genre. If you haven't read phillip pullman, his dark materials trilogy(the golden compass, etc...), I would read those!

Chris Wooding has a book called The haunting of Alaizabel Cray. You might first think it is horror, but it really is on the side of steampunk.

China Mieville, of course, writes great books! one you might get into is Un lun Dun! Another YA novel!
    There are so many out there!

When you want to read others, there is a list of steampunk books out there! Have fun!!
    I will second Leviathan, great story with two great character and breakneck pacing.

Boneshaker was awful and I am from Seattle so it was nice to see my hometown being written about but I had no feelings for the characters and thought the pacing was off through the entire book.

Wooding seems like your best bet.

@Dwagginz - For your darker fantasy but a great quick read, I really enjoyed The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I don't know if you've read that already though. That or Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Both were insanely quick reads for me and full of dark grittiness.

I'd like to recommend and out of print 1993 fantasy novel (loosely disguised as sci-fi) called 'Blood Red Angel' by UK author Adrian Cole.

It's one of those oddly fascinating books that builds a very strange sort of gruesome dystopia that has it's own ghoulish canon of 'rules' (concerning a hierarchy of agricultural predation) which defines virtually everything. An outsider's sense of rebellion against this system leads the protagonist to make the climb from the lowest of the low to the very highest reaches of power and shows the guts of the bizarre infrastructure on which this world precariously rests. It's a bit trashy, sort of like something Jack Chalker might have written, except it's a single standalone novel instead of 3-5 novels.

Anyway I loved it and I think some people might enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    @Dwagginz - For your darker fantasy but a great quick read, I really enjoyed The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I don't know if you've read that already though. That or Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Both were insanely quick reads for me and full of dark grittiness.
    This is the second thread I have read where someone has said the Night Angel trilogy is a dark read. I did not feel it was initially. Looking back on I suppose it could be, but I still felt it was a lot lighter than other books.