Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Wow, that's a lot of recommendations to look up. I've got the Dark Materials trilogy on my shelf, so I'll look into Boneshaker et al. I think Boneshaker's actually on my Amazon wishlist, but I've no idea if it's good or bad.

As for Discworld? Hm. I've got The Amazing Maurice, but I've never really read into the series. Will ask my nan at some point if I can borrow her Colour of Magic and Guards! Guards! if she has them, which I'm sure she does. I'm a bit unsure of Pratchett, though, as I struggled to get into A Hat Full of Sky and Jingo, but perhaps it's because I was younger.

But wow, you've all been busy! Thanks, and I'll scuttle off to look into them.

books involving thiefs

I have just recently finished reading The Mistborn series by Sanderson and The Gentleman Bastards books by Scott Lynch, and I've got an urge to read another series or book where the main character is a thief, any ideas?

books like dragon lance

I am looking for some books that are like the dragonlance books by weis and hickman and recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by dan95 DL=<3 View Post
    I am looking for some books that are like the dragonlance books by weis and hickman and recommendations?
    I have a suggestion if you haven't read them yet...R A Salvatore has a series called "The DemonWars Saga". 7 books in all!

the Demon Awakens
    The demon Spirit
    The Demon Apostle
    Mortalis
    Ascendance
    Transcendence
    Immortalis

I believe you would enjoy these!

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new book/series to read, just got done reading the Night Angel Trilogy (loved it!) and I'm (im)patiently waiting for the last book of the warded man trilogy. I had a thread open with the below request but it got closed, so I'm just going to paste it in here:

I'm sure you get a ton of these types of threads and are thinking to yourself "Ugh, another one?" but I'm looking for a good series (preferably completed, I hate waiting! Just recently read The Warded Man and The Desert Spear and now I have to wait for the last of the trilogy!)

First, let me explain the type of fantasy/adventure book I like.

I am a big fan of zero to hero (who hasn't been until they play it out lol) but, I particularly like a main character to be more melee based than magic. Swords and hand to hand really strike my interest most of all, but I enjoyed the young adult series The Strongbow Saga which is mainly focused on his Archery ability.

So what I'm looking for is an epic book(or series) focusing on one main character, that has good character development, doesnt have to have a complete lack of magic, a little can add good spice to a tale, but one that is mainly focused on melee with his struggle as a youth, his training, and his triumph.

Ones set in the dark ages tend to strike my fancy the most, but I'm open to any time setting

I'd like the book to have a male protagonist, not that I'm sexist at all, it's just what I'd prefer to read at the moment

Also, humans only as a race would be preferred as well. I like my main character to be powerful, but half demon, or half god, is a bit too much of an advantage haha

Preferably in the Adult category.

Thank you ahead of time for any recommendations.

Hmmm...that is an interesting request good sir. I almost want to recommend The Sword of Truth series, since there is definitely that zero to hero thing going on, and it mostly focusses on Richard, and it's definitely adult oriented, and he doesn't seem to use alot of magic (at least in the early book).

Besides that, I cannot think of much.

Hi all, looking for a new book to read and have seen many many many recommend Scott Bakkers Prince of Nothing series...

the thing is, if i find religious things boring - will i still enjoy this book? It seems to revolve around holy wars and religion from what ive read...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldubb View Post
    Hi all, looking for a new book to read and have seen many many many recommend Scott Bakkers Prince of Nothing series...

the thing is, if i find religious things boring - will i still enjoy this book? It seems to revolve around holy wars and religion from what ive read...

Don't know, but Bakker is not religious, so you probably don't need to worry about partiality or pathos. From what I've heard it's a little bit like a historical novel.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    I am trying to decide what book to read next from the list below. Any recommendations?

Lord Dunsany - The King of Elflands Daughter
    E.R. Eddison - Mistress of Mistresses
    David Gemmell - Legend
    Glen Cook - Chronicles of the Black Company
    Steven Erikson - Deadhouse Gates
    Last edited by CodanOfCanada; May 27th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CodanOfCanada View Post
    I trying to decide what book to red next from the list below. Any recommendations?

Lord Dunsany - The King of Elflands Daughter
    E.R. Eddison - Mistress of Mistresses
    David Gemmell - Legend
    Glen Cook - Chronicles of the Black Company
    Steven Erikson - Deadhouse Gates
    I am a big fan of the Black Company books. The writing style takes a big of getting used to, but once you do adjust, its a fantastic story. Croaker and Lady are a couple of my favourite Fantasy characters.

You can read The King Of Elfland's Daughter in a relatively short time, so it's probably a good idea to buy it alongside something else. The writing style doesn't feel very old and is alternately wistful, dark and humorous.
    Last edited by Deren; May 28th, 2010 at 02:45 AM.

Legend is great, a definite classic. It is also quite easy to read so you may blast through it right quick.

Lord of the Frozen Wastes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deren View Post
    You can read The King Of Elfland's Daughter in a relatively short time, so it's probably a good idea to buy it alongside something else. The writing style doesn't feel very old and is alternately wistful, dark and humorous.
    No need for me to purchase, I already own all 5 books. They'll all be read in due time!

I think I'm gonna start with at least the first book of the Black Company, I was posting on another forum and most people seemed to recommend it.
    Last edited by CodanOfCanada; May 28th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

The Icewind Dale trilogy by R.A. Salvatore are very good along with the crimson shadow trilogy. Robert Jordan wrote the further chronicles of conan and I found that to be one of the greatest conan volumes i ve read since Howard

Thanks guys I have more than enough books to hold me over for a few months! I'm sure ill be back again! Enjoy your summers!