Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Smile

Thanks Randy,
    Now that I recall, I did try a Zelazny book (I don't remember which one) a long time ago and couldn't get into it. I've heard of "Neverwhere" and was intrigued about it; you're recommendation is enough that I think I'll give it a try. A lot of the other authors I never heard of but will definitely check out (with many thanks!). I'll also check out the first few pages of the thread as you suggested (just didn't want to slog through all 24!) I guess we can agree to disagree about whether horror should be a separate genre or not. I do agree that elements of horror can and do exist within the fantasy genre (or even that some established horror writers can make successful forays into Fantasy or Science Fiction for that matter). Further than that I'm not willing to go.
    Please don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Thanks Randy,
    Now that I recall, I did try a Zelazny book (I don't remember which one) a long time ago and couldn't get into it.
    He wrote a lot, and I've heard some of it wasn't all that good. I'm rather selective, so what I've read I considered good, including This Immortal, Jack of Shadows, Damnation Alley; his story collection, The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth is better than good. I have a reservation about A Night in the Lonesome October, but it's too integral to the novel to discuss with anyone who hasn't read the book, and if I consider the book apart from that reservation, I find it very entertaining.

I've heard of "Neverwhere" and was intrigued about it; you're recommendation is enough that I think I'll give it a try. A lot of the other authors I never heard of but will definitely check out (with many thanks!). I'll also check out the first few pages of the thread as you suggested (just didn't want to slog through all 24!) I guess we can agree to disagree about whether horror should be a separate genre or not.
    You're not the first to disagree with me on that.

I do agree that elements of horror can and do exist within the fantasy genre (or even that some established horror writers can make successful forays into Fantasy or Science Fiction for that matter). Further than that I'm not willing to go.
    Please don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate your feedback.
    No problems. I hope you find some books that you enjoy.

Randy M.

Damn you people ! Having very recently discovered the cost effectiveness of online bookstores, this recommendation thread has seen me order numerous books and I have another 6 or 7 pages of wishlists !

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Thanks Randy,
    Now that I recall, I did try a Zelazny book (I don't remember which one) a long time ago and couldn't get into it.
    Try Lord of Light. It's a great book. Lots of people also like Jack of Shadows, but IMHO it reads like a rough draft -- I'd skip that one, personally.

I remember a passege in one of Zelazny's amber novels where (Merlin? Corwin?) was traveling near the Courts of Chaos and encountered a hermit... named Dave, and remarked upon a strange smell coming from his cave.

I also enjoyed Zelazny's science fiction, This Immortal, Today We Choose Faces in particular.

I have given up on Malazan after 4 books (or 3 1/2 I guess since I didn't finish book 4). I realized that just don't give a *&#$ about any of the characters and that I hate the writing so ...

Anyway, what should I read next? I was thinking one of these, though I'll take other suggestions into consideration if their made. Help me out, board!

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
    Saga of the Seven Suns
    The Chronicles of Amber
    The Death Gate Cycle
    The Black Company
    Crown of Stars
    the Demon Series
    The Book of the New Sun

(and maybe I should point out that I won't actually be "reading" whatever book I start, but listening to the audio version. Currently "read" reading Ghost Story, then The Magician King, hopefully)

Of that list, I've read four and would rank them in this order:

Crown of Stars
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
    The Black Company
    The Death Gate Cycle

All have something to offer, so I wouldn't recommend against any of them, but CoS would be my pick. It's epic, with extensive world-building and well developed characters. It's filled with political and personal intrigue, war, magic and a bit of romance. The middle volumes of the series slow down a bit under the weight of such a vast story, but the final two volumes recover and lead to a satisfying conclusion.

After much consideration i've started reading Sword Dancer series and i've pretty much enjoyed it so far but soon it will come to an end with only 2 books left and that's like a week, at most, of reading .

Any ideas of something alike? Well not the carbon copy but a fantasy story intertwined with a bit of romance subplot but i would avoid for a while the tipical 13-14 year old boy or girl who goes on his adventure . Something with a more mature cast .

About the romance it doesn't have to be the center of the story . The Lost Regiment or Videssos Cycle had it's share even though smaller but enjoyable . I'd just like to avoid stoic, romantic deprived novels.

Also i found Ted Dekker's The Circle Trilogy quite pleasing if someone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by thirstyVan View Post
    Anyway, what should I read next? I was thinking one of these, though I'll take other suggestions into consideration if their made. Help me out, board!

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
    Saga of the Seven Suns
    The Chronicles of Amber
    The Death Gate Cycle
    The Black Company
    Crown of Stars
    the Demon Series
    The Book of the New Sun

(and maybe I should point out that I won't actually be "reading" whatever book I start, but listening to the audio version. Currently "read" reading Ghost Story, then The Magician King, hopefully)
    I can highly recommend the new recordings of the Book of the New Sun. The old ones were AWFUL, but the new versions are quite good. If you are listening to the Chronicles of Amber, be careful -- the most common recordings floating around are abridged, Graphic-Audio type productions. If you do find the unabridged version, most of the books are read by Zelazny himself. He is not a terribly good narrator, but it is interesting to hear him read.

I am super psyched to find this forum.

Hi guys, I'm about half way through a Dance of Dragons (I'm anticipating some major reading time in the next week so should finish it up) which I read after a complete re read of the whole ASOIAF which I've really really enjoyed.

I've been thinking about what to read next and I've decided I'm going to finally read Stephen Kings Dark Tower, something I've been wanting to read for a few years now and just haven't got around to. However I don't wanna just jump straight into another long series I want to read a few stand alone books too, now since I've heard that King connects a lot of his work to the Dark Tower (Characters locations etc.) I figure reading a few of his better novels (since I've actually NEVER read a single Stephen King book.....) would be a good warm up to his writing style and if it introduces me to a few characters all the better

So I'm looking for a few recommendations of which ones to read, I'm interested in his best work (Not just links to the dark tower that's a bonus).

I've heard the Stand is pretty awesome, but he's such a deep back catalogue it's hard to know where to start, I did have a read through some threads on here so have a rough idea but they were all pretty old so be nice to get some fresh perspective

Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to answer!

Most of the connections to King's Dark Tower are rather minor and inconsequential. It might be a name here, a place there, or even just a reference to something that's important in the series but has little to no impact elsewhere.

However, some books have deeper connections. The Eyes of the Dragon, my favourite King novel, is very deeply connected to the Dark Tower but instead of a sci-fi/fantasy/horror hybrid, it's a straight fantasy novel. I really enjoyed reading it, and I strongly recommend it if you're venturing into Mid-World. The Stand is another one with deep connections, and 'Salem's Lot is also heavily connected to the last three books. I could be wrong, but I think From a Buick 8 is also connected in some way.

Personally, aside from The Eyes of the Dragon, I'd recommend you pick up some of his other titles. Carrie, his debut, is one I quite liked. I don't normally read horror, but I did enjoy it. Night Shift is a collection of short stories and smaller works, and the stories I read from it (The Lawnmower Man, Trucks and some others) were all enjoyable. Chances are you'll be picking up The Shining and Misery as well, which are two of his more famous works.

You can read the Dark Tower without reading his other stuff, because it's quite different. The first volume is a bit problematic for some people, but the series starts off 'properly' with the second one, The Drawing of the Three.

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check out The Eyes of the Dragon! I always liked to read a few stand alone (or just less complex I guess) books inbetween epic fantasy series which can take months to get through! And I've long been meaning to read some Stephen King, I'll start off with 2 or 3 and if I'm enjoying them I might read a few more before starting his magnum opus

I've heard a lot of good things about IT so may check that out also!

The Stand is my all-time fave King book, and one of my all-time books, period. The novel I am *finally* publishing in the coming weeks is heavily influenced by The Stand.

Having said that, it's no light read! Be ready to commit. It's about like reading a series, it's so dense and layered.

The Eyes of the Dragon is much lighter. Love that book!

IT is one you can't put down. It is King at his most frightening, and it is epic. I could only read it once, although it is undoubtedly a masterpiece. It's just so scary. Read that one when you have a vacation and you can read straight through!

Dark Tower is on my to-read list, too. That and Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

I think I may start with IT, it's been a long time since i was genuinely scared by a book, I don't read horror much so I'm looking forward to being scared senseless going to sleep I get the feeling it's one of those books that you keep reading for a sense of closure so you can get some sleep