Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I can't believe that you *still* haven't read Abercrombie. Shame on you. I've said before that your book isn't written at all like his, and your overall "message" isn't the same as his, but you do fit somewhere in the same general subgenre.

And if you haven't read Zelazny's Lord of Light, you should. I bet you'd like it too.
    Heh - I _still_ haven't read 99% of what I want to. I've been chugging through Campbell's Scar Night for the last 6 weeks. I think I've read about ten books in the 18 months since I got my own book deal. And five of those were GRRM's ASOIFA (4 recap + ADWD). I've also had a go at Gardens of the Moon, Among Thieves, Engine Summer, Tome of the Undergates, The Red Wolf Conspiracy. Didn't finish all of them.

Abercrombie and Rothfuss are high on my list, but I also want to read Miserere/Frohock and Whitefire Crossing/Schafer ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Abercrombie and Rothfuss are high on my list, but I also want to read Miserere/Frohock and Whitefire Crossing/Schafer ...
    Ehhhh, fergit Rothfuss. Read Abercrombie.

I don't know what it is about Brits, but I've been having quite the British-author-love-fest this year. From you to Joe Abercrombie to Charles Stross to Neil Gaiman to Richard Morgan to Dick Francis, and many others. Just gotta love you guys.

Incidentally -- I just noticed that you don't have a wikipedia entry yet. Ya oughtta fix that.

And AuldAnxiety -- although I loved each and every one of the First Law books, there are many people who didn't like the first volume nearly as much as the rest. So give it another chance!

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Ehhhh, fergit Rothfuss. Read Abercrombie.

I don't know what it is about Brits, but I've been having quite the British-author-love-fest this year. From you to Joe Abercrombie to Charles Stross to Neil Gaiman to Richard Morgan to Dick Francis, and many others. Just gotta love you guys.
    I'll have you know I was born in Champagne-Urbana Illinois! I do talk with a British accent though & am thus qualified to play the baddy in a Hollywood movie.

Incidentally -- I just noticed that you don't have a wikipedia entry yet. Ya oughtta fix that.
    While I have made wikipedia entries (I was the first author on the 'Bispectrum' and provided the picture of the first UK gamesworkshop opening) it seems a bit lame to do my own entry though

And AuldAnxiety -- although I loved each and every one of the First Law books, there are many people who didn't like the first volume nearly as much as the rest. So give it another chance!
    They say the same thing about Erikson. It seems extravagant luxury to have a poor first volume in a series and be allowed to redeem yourself later, but I doubt very much this is the case for either Erikson or Abercrombie - large numbers of people must have loved their first volumes. Perhaps their 2nd volumes just toned down whatever uniqueness got their book deals & thereby appealed to a larger audience.

I can only hope one day people say my first volume was the weakest - the usual trend though seems to be that 2nd volumes are a let down.

Mark,

I don't dislike Gardens of the Moon, but for some reason I want to like it more than I do. This has been my second attempt. When it starts to get interesting the book jumps elsewhere. The are some really neat elements, I'm just not sure I can commit to a series this complicated with what I see (at this point) as untapped potential.

I read your novel immediately after finishing A Dance with Dragons. For me to complete a book that soon (without half starting a dozen books) says a lot of the first installment of the series. Me thinks it has elements that will spark the interest (and revolt) a large variety of different folks. I look forward to the second. You should push for the cover artist who did Whitefire Crossing - if I judged a book by its cover, I'd have gotten past the Kindle sample.

At this point I'm probably either gonna try Already Dead or retry First Law. Then on to Cold Commands

Lord of Light isn't on Kindle, but I'll be sure to read it in the future.

If you guys haven't read the books in my initial post - consider them highly recommended.

I'll have you know I was born in Champagne-Urbana Illinois! I do talk with a British accent though & am thus qualified to play the baddy in a Hollywood movie.
    Yeah, I thought I remembered you being bi-national. But so far as I'm concerned, the accent tells the truth about you.

While I have made wikipedia entries (I was the first author on the 'Bispectrum' and provided the picture of the first UK gamesworkshop opening) it seems a bit lame to do my own entry though
    So don't tell anyone you did it.

They say the same thing about Erikson. It seems extravagant luxury to have a poor first volume in a series and be allowed to redeem yourself later, but I doubt very much this is the case for either Erikson or Abercrombie
    IMHO the biggest part of the problem is just that first volumes have to do a lot of world building, so people who don't tolerate a lack of plot progress get bored. I personally was very impressed with how confident and accomplished Abercrombie's writing was in The Blade Itself, even though that was his first published book.

Huh. I just looked up The Whitefire Crossing on Amazon, and in the "frequently purchased together" section it pairs up Whitefire with Prince of Thorns. Small world.

Perhaps their 2nd volumes just toned down whatever uniqueness got their book deals & thereby appealed to a larger audience.
    In regards to those two authors I can say absolutely: not remotely true.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldAnxiety View Post

I've been in the mood for epic/heroic fantasy. Something character-driven with philosophical, psychedelic, or surreal touches.
    Philosophical, psychedelic and surreal: I got mostly standalones from Peter Beagle (Inkeeper's Song, The Last Unicorn) , Angela Carter (Nights at the Circus), Charles Finney (Circus of Dr Lao) . The one epic series that has all that is probably The RiddleMaster by Patricia McKillip. Her standalones are very good, too.

JV Jones' Sword of Shadows series? Dark and gritty heroic sword & sorcery fantasy with a huge cast of characters. Very high emphasis on character development, and the vast multiple subplots are great. Was a real page turner, and it has pretty much everything you asked for.

What a difference a night makes, LOL. So I continued my trek through Gardens of the Moon, and well, it got a lot better. The plot started to come together, I could actually differentiate between people, places, and important events. And the interesting bits were weaver into the web in meaningful ways.

I think sometimes the problem with first novels in a series is that since the author is starting at square one, much of the canvas begins with telling rather than showing. As the series progresses there isn't the need to over-explain characters, environments, conflicts, and history.

Thank for the recommendations. I'm downloading samples into my Kindle as reminders - so I don't have to post another thread like this for a good while. The JV Jones looks like it might be what I'm looking for.

BTW - ebooks should have a function where the reader can touch character names, places, etc. and get the info usually located at the back of the book. Kind of like the dictionary function. Also, imagine how cool choose your own adventure type novels could get with ebook functionality.
    Last edited by AuldAnxiety; September 25th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.

Looking for a Good Epic Fantasy Series (Mercenaries, like Black Company)

Hey, so i just finished reading Chronicles of the Black Company, LoTR books, and am reading Storm of Swords by George Martin, and have been looking for more of these types of books, especially The Black Company (loved the first North Campaign books) and that type of mercenary or war based books with some drama involved in the main plot. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by koolyo77 View Post
    Hey, so i just finished reading Chronicles of the Black Company, LoTR books, and am reading Storm of Swords by George Martin, and have been looking for more of these types of books, especially The Black Company (loved the first North Campaign books) and that type of mercenary or war based books with some drama involved in the main plot. Any suggestions?
    Have you read Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I have only read the first 2 but I liked them, I am currently reading Storm of Swords, I really like this series too. I loved the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey and I would recommend The Earthsea Books by Ursula K. Le Guin.

There are quite a few literate ones.

A few good ones, alphabetically by author last name:

• A. A. Attanasio: the curious "Arthor" cycle (fantasy, but with a curious sfnal overlay)
    • C. J. Cherryh: the "Fortress" series
    • Glen Cook: the "Dread Empire" books
    • Hugh Cook: the ten "Chronicles of an Age of Darkness"
    • Dave Duncan: the "Seventh Sword" trilogy
    • E. R. Eddison: the "Zimiamvia" series
    • David Gemmell: the "Drenai"series (which has numerous sub-series)
    • David Gemmell: the "Stones of Power" (or "Sipstrassi") series (including the "Jerusalem Man" sub-series)
    • Simon Green: the "Forest Kingdom" series
    • P. C. Hodgell: the "Kencyrath Chronicles"
    • Fritz Leiber: the numerous books featuring Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
    • Eric Van Lustbader: the Orientalesque "Sunset Warrior" series
    • Dennis McKiernan: a number of pleasant pastiches of Tolkien's work, in several sub-series
    • Richard Monaco: a gritty Arthurian series, "The Parsival Quartet"
    • Jessica Amanda Salmonson: the "Tomoe Gozen" trilogy (make sure to get the correct first novel, The Disfavored Hero, not the badly edited book just called Tomoe Gozen)
    • Michael Shea: the "Nifft" trio
    • Jack Vance: the "Lyonesse" trilogy

That is by no means exhaustive, but ought to be enough to be going along with for a while.
    Last edited by owlcroft; September 25th, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: fix typo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldAnxiety View Post

I think sometimes the problem with first novels in a series is that since the author is starting at square one, much of the canvas begins with telling rather than showing. As the series progresses there isn't the need to over-explain characters, environments, conflicts, and history.
    Don't shout victory too quick.

Erikson and Malazan is one of my favorite series ever, but it's very difficult in the sense that almost every books is like coming back to square one.

What are the parameters?

There is a rather parallel thread on this very forum running right now that you might look in on.

A more extended list of what I, at least, consider literate, rewarding fantasy (and sf) reading, including quite a few series, you could [PM me for a link of recommendations]. I could produce an enumerated list from that if I knew if you include single books as well as series, and whether humorous (or at least light-hearted) books qualify as well.

mod edit: bracketed & italicized text mine
    -PW
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; September 26th, 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: external link to poster's own site