Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive
    Thanks, Rob.

Any chance of getting $1,000,000?

Randy M.
    (you seem to be in a good mood. thought it was worth a try.)

In Fantasy-land...where spell check does not exist...
    Does anyone know any good fantasy books in French? I am looking to practice my french and I figure that it will be easier and more interesting to read a fantasy book in french then, say, a classic or nonfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Criselle View Post
    Does anyone know any good fantasy books in French? I am looking to practice my french and I figure that it will be easier and more interesting to read a fantasy book in french then, say, a classic or nonfic.
    Maybe try the French Amazon

Hello, Lately I've been playing Final Fantasy X a lot and I am really becoming fascinated by the aeon summons and I was wondering if there are any Fantasy Novels out there with magic systems that involved the summoning of creatures or other beings. Thanks.
    Last edited by vladtalto; June 5th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Has anyone read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I have it on audiobook and it's pretty decent. Did Koontz see The Sixth Sense and go, I gotta write about this? Anyone know the novel's origins? I know it was published after the movie.

Hows about book in the first person (first person i think?) ala Robin Hobbs Assassin Apprentice and Tawny Man series........ good ones of course i found that the first person perspective made the story much deeper and the characters that much more real. I was shattered for a while after you know what happened in Tawny Man book 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    Hows about book in the first person (first person i think?) ala Robin Hobbs Assassin Apprentice and Tawny Man series........ good ones of course i found that the first person perspective made the story much deeper and the characters that much more real. I was shattered for a while after you know what happened in Tawny Man book 1.
    The thread is a bit dated (last updated in 2006), but with 20 responses, you will hopefully find some interesting books:

First Person Narrative Recommendations

Off the top of my head, another trilogy about an assassin was pretty good: Joshua Palmatier's Throne of Amenkor trilogy the first book of which is The Skewed Throne.

Thanks for that, will favorite the thread, got 8 or so books coming in the mail so will check them out afterwards

hey guys,

im currently looking for a single book (to break up the hobb trilogies im currenlty completing)

somehting that is emotional and could potentially make me cry (i know its a weird request, but i enjoy it)

i would read the "books that make you cry" thread but theres so many spoilers its hard to pick anything out without covering the whole screen with my hand

hope you guys can help

PS: (i hear guy gavriel kay's tigana is pretty good?)

Try Tad Williams War of Flowers if you havnt already read it, didnt make me cry but i did feel for the main character.......... plus its a really good read.

Bit like Hobb in the sense that the main character must be punished...... for being the main character

Quote Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
    hey guys,

im currently looking for a single book (to break up the hobb trilogies im currenlty completing)

somehting that is emotional and could potentially make me cry (i know its a weird request, but i enjoy it)

i would read the "books that make you cry" thread but theres so many spoilers its hard to pick anything out without covering the whole screen with my hand

hope you guys can help

PS: (i hear guy gavriel kay's tigana is pretty good?)
    Although in the general fiction forum, this thread might be helpful:
    The most emotionally poignant books/novels you have ever read

It is pretty hard to get into recommendations about books making you potentially cry without giving spoilers, though.

Alrighty, my turn. Can anyone recommend some good fantasy (feel free to recommend Sci-Fi, although this is the fantasy board), please? I'll be ordering from Amazon/Play, too.
    Favourite fantasy books so far have been the Hobbit & The Eyes of the Dragon. Much prefer your typical fantasy books where you've got your hero(ine) and it's just an adventure. None of this silly stuff where it's set in modern day and the hero just happens to be one of a few million on the planet who can weild a sword, or anything a bit silly. You know, classic/proper fantasy like Conan (incidentally, where do you start with Conan & Fafhrd?).

Got about £7 :P

Or should I just go ahead and order Pandora's Star/Dark Tower #7? I've got Judas Unchained, and the other 6 DT books (currently on #4). Thanks!

David Gemmell's Legend might fit the bill. Great heroic fantasy.

Is it fairly easy to read?
    Not stupid or anything, but some books are a real pain for me to read >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    Is it fairly easy to read?
    Not stupid or anything, but some books are a real pain for me to read >.<
    Oh yeah, it's very straight-forward epic fantasy, like Feist's Magician series (also a good one).

I've read Martin (A song of ice and fire) and most of Erikson (malazan) and it's not at all as complicated as those. I agree, though, that you definitely have to get used to a huge cast of characters to be able to enjoy those books and sometimes you just need something that doesn't make give you a headache .