Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard Hellsin View Post
    Just finished white tiger by Kylie Chan and it was painfull. The main character Emma is brave beautifull brilliant and everybody loves her even the bad guys basically a Mary Sue type and the romance reminds me of twilight so it just wasnt my cup of tea.

On onother note i've read the vlad books just forgot to include them and yes i liked them alot. I also forgot to add the Elemental Assassin Series by Jennifer Esteb they are my favorite books with a Female protagonist
    I don't remember thinking that but I read them years ago and have read (probably) hundreds of books since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard Hellsin View Post
    Just finished white tiger by Kylie Chan and it was painfull. The main character Emma is brave beautifull brilliant and everybody loves her even the bad guys basically a Mary Sue type and the romance reminds me of twilight so it just wasnt my cup of tea.
    White Tiger is awful. Yes, Emma is preposterously perfect and reading about the romance felt like I'd imagine it feels to be bludgeoned to death, slowly and methodically -- and I LIKE romance. But there are so many other bad parts, I wouldn't know how to single one out.

And I never thought I'd say this, but it's an insult to Twilight to compare the books.

Just finished The Count Of Montecristo and I Loved it! then someone mention that Alfred Bester had a sci fi book that was based on the Count of Montecristo called The Stars My Destination or Tiger! Tiger! and it wasnt as good as Montecristo but i liked it. So i was wondering if anyone knew of a fantasy book that was based on the count of montecristo or that has the same revenge theme.
    Last edited by Alucard Hellsin; December 19th, 2011 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    I haven't read very many zombie novels; they all seem the same but I did read World War Z because it looked unique and was not disappointed. Both my daughter and my sister (who's not into horror at all) both read it and liked it as well. My sister loaned it out to friends and I wonder if I'll ever get it back!
    I highly recommend it; haven't yet come across anyone, horror lover or not, who hated it.

I may try world war z does it follow a few characters or is it an overview of a world wide epidemic which is what got from the summary's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moye View Post
    I may try world war z does it follow a few characters or is it an overview of a world wide epidemic which is what got from the summary's.
    It's a little of both. The story unfolds over a series of interviews with people from all walks of life all over the world with a unique perspective on the epidemic. The interviews tell the story from start to finish, some individuals get interviewed more than once about what they did at different stages of the epidemic or the same person may get described more than once by the various interviewees so in a way, it does follow a few characters but most of the interviews are stand-alone and unique.

I hope this is the right thread for this. I want fantasy. But I'm just not sure about fantasy that takes place in medieval europe. The alternatives seem to be vampires, werewolves or a supernatural detective. And if it takes place in modern times, the rest of the world doesn't know about the magical things. What I want to read is a book that takes place in modern times whose fantasy elements are accepted and part of the everyday, much like it is in your typical medieval fantasy. Like dwarves, elves and dragons, but set in 1950+. Does such fantasy exist?

Excellent place for this, Hyperchord.

Maybe start by looking into Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter and The Dragons of Babel.

Tad Williams's War of the Flowers may also fit the bill, but I don't remember how well.

Maybe also look into Elizabeth Bear's Promethean Age series.

Do a little research into those to see if they're the kind of thing you're looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by hyperchord24 View Post
    I hope this is the right thread for this. I want fantasy. But I'm just not sure about fantasy that takes place in medieval europe. The alternatives seem to be vampires, werewolves or a supernatural detective. And if it takes place in modern times, the rest of the world doesn't know about the magical things. What I want to read is a book that takes place in modern times whose fantasy elements are accepted and part of the everyday, much like it is in your typical medieval fantasy. Like dwarves, elves and dragons, but set in 1950+. Does such fantasy exist?
    Modern USA with fantasy elements? Good question. I am curious as well. If we exclude young adult, I can think of nothing.

Rogue Warrior
    I'm not an expert on that genre, but how about Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, I haven't read them, but I know they are really popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    I'm not an expert on that genre, but how about Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, I haven't read them, but I know they are really popular.
    The supernatural detective just doesn't sit well with me.

There isn't one book out there with a farmboy who has to bring a ring to an active volcano . . . while balancing homework and video games?

Rogue Warrior
    The supernatural detective just doesn't sit well with me.

There isn't one book out there with a farmboy who has to bring a ring to an active volcano . . . while balancing homework and video games?
    How about Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim?

Not exactly modern times, but maybe Mike Resnick's The Buntline Special? Seems to have everything you're looking for except it's set in 1850+ rather than 1950+. I haven't read it myself, but I was thumbing through it tonight at my local B&N and it's on the to-buy list.

I haven't read the books but The Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia _might_ fit the bill, though it takes place a little earlier (1930s).

Also, Glen Cook's Garret P.I. may come close to it, though set in a fantasy world.

Mike Resnick's Stalking the Unicorn could work, too.

I haven't read em, but how about books by Charles de Lint? His Newford books are supposed to be sort of modern fairy tales.

Or you could try the October Daye books by Seanan McGuire. They do have shapeshifters, but they aren't werewolves as such, and there's a lot of fairy stuff in them.

edited to add -- I just reread this part of your post:
    What I want to read is a book that takes place in modern times whose fantasy elements are accepted and part of the everyday, much like it is in your typical medieval fantasy.
    This is gonna be the really tough part. You can certainly find UF that doesn't involve vampires and werewolves, and you can certainly find UF in which "fantasy elements are accepted and part of the everyday", but very few modern fantasies fulfill both conditions at the same time. Hmmmm......
    Last edited by Contrarius; January 5th, 2012 at 02:22 AM.

Well, my thing is that everything from Stephanie Meyer to CS Lewis to Charles De Lint have fantasy elements in modern times, but with the caveat of the world being secret. The story is framed by a normal US town, but known only to certain individuals, fantasy elements exist. But shh! Don't tell anyone. In Lord of the Rings, there are Dwarves, Elves, Hobbits, Wizards as well as man. And it's not a secret. What if you took one of these worlds in which these stories exist and evolved it over a thousand years. Gave them schools and book bags and brown paper bag lunches and airplanes, cars and asphalt. Even in Harry Potter, in that other world that muggles don't see, the technology, dress and attitude is right around the middle ages. I wonder why Rowling didn't give her wizards laptops.
    Last edited by hyperchord24; January 5th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.