Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    I need some advice dealing with a picky reader. His favorites are mostly fantasy classics:

Tolkien
    Le Guin
    Jordan
    Zelazny
    Glen Cook's Garrett (earlier books)

He also liked well enough the following currently writing authors:
    Patricia McKillip (Riddlemaster trilogy)
    Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn)
    Jim Butcher's Codex Alera (with some reservations)
    Eve Forward Villains by Necessity)
    Narnia (liked as a kid)
    Harry Potter (although thought the last two or three were too bloated)

Found ok:
    Carol Berg (mostly liked the first book in the Rai Kirah trilogy)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora (not enough to read any sequels).
    Robin Hobb Liveship trilogy (not enough to try others)
    Diskworld.

Disliked:
    Terry Goodkind
    G.R.R.Martin's ASOIAF (primarily because he thought most of the characters were scumbags and didn't care for them, even though he did read all the four available books at the time).

He refuses to even try urban fantasy (despite liking Cook), so it's mostly down to epic/high fantasy or something on the lighter side. Not too gritty or grey in terms of good vs. evil (so it excludes Abercrombie, etc., not sure about Erikson). But not too much like Tolkien because he knows his books very well and will spot it immediately.

I'm thinking other books by McKillip, Sanderson and Carol Berg (but I haven't read them so a bit at a loss). Rothfuss, perhaps?

Your friend should pick up Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress omnibus (my review), lots of fun in the three books in that omnibus.

Rothfuss, sure.

Peter V. Brett's The Warded Man and The Desert Spear

Also, pass along Tad Williams to your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Your friend should pick up Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress omnibus (my review), lots of fun in the three books in that omnibus.
    Good tip, I think I'd love to read it myself

Peter V. Brett's The Warded Man and The Desert Spear
    I liked The Warded Man but it contained a heavy dose of horror which he's not a big fan of.

Also, pass along Tad Williams to your friend.
    He's probably read it or doesn't want to read it but I'll let him know anyway.

He also liked Anubis Gates and On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers.

Another one I just thought about is Mathew Stover's Overworld books - weren't they influenced by The Chronicles of Amber?

I suggest a boot to the head.

Or maybe L.E. Modesitt, Jr., but maybe he's a bit too Good/Evil.

[QUOTE=Loerwyn;685798]I suggest a boot to the head.[/quote

Why?

Or maybe L.E. Modesitt, Jr., but maybe he's a bit too Good/Evil.
    Or, too repetitive, from what I heard.

Hi Danogzilla, I may just be able to accuse you of saving my time! Heard the same thing, from of close friend who used to run a book shop, about the da vinci code, my friend claims to have been able to suffer only the first seven pages, and she was 'write', it was poorly written, but woweeeee what a successful novel, regardless, my favourite book this year, which, being new to this forum, I won't name for risk of 'doing the promoting thing', is at least a hundred times better... that said though, the purple orator seems pretty well read, ah, so many books to choose from, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Why?
    'cos he's so darned picky

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Or, too repetitive, from what I heard.
    Yes and no. His latest series, The Imager Portfolio, is a pretty good place to start with L.E. Modesitt, Jr. It's of a higher quality than his Recluce series, and I really enjoyed reading the first three (I've not read further as of yet).

George Martin's A song of Ice & fire is a very nice read. Ray Bradbury & Eddings, reliable. As he likes Harry Potter, Narnia, Tolkien etc, he should really enjoy the new trilogy, Rick & Wylie's Fantastical Magical Adventures. As for classics, you could always put a spanner in the works with Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan251 View Post
    There are a lot of great kindle books out there from lesser know authors. Have any of you guys read any?

Although there is a great second-hand bookshop near where I live where I can get cheap published works from big name authors so I am getting the best of both worlds
    I just read Empire from the In Her Name trilogy. It was free, but may be back too 99 cents now. The book is OK - something to do on a slow weekend. The hero and story are your typical fantasy cliches. Not bad for a freebie. I won't be spending the 2.99 for the second.

Next, I'm reading Taming Flame and Knights of Armoth(both free with high reviews).

So far I have not been able to find an Indie author that does not do the typical fantasy cliche BS(reluctant, slightly retarded hero; lame love interest; no surprises, magic saves the day) .

the Rake
    We have a separate forum for self-promotion so there's no need to bring it here. And a bit of advice, if the grammar is poor in the book description on Amazon, I am definitely not going to buy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    I only made it about 25 pages into Among Thieves before putting it down. The writing quality was pretty low.
    Imo (and as I mentioned), I was unimpressed by the first two chapters, so to a certain extent I would agree. I thought that the prose and characterization past that were, at a minimum, decent. But we might just perceive this differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dill View Post
    No, not tried Douglas Hulick. You sounds fairly impressed, so that's a plus. Its nice to get into a book series, following the story, thanks for the recommend, will try it. Chang
    You're welcome. I hope that you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspawn_01 View Post
    I just read Empire from the In Her Name trilogy. It was free, but may be back too 99 cents now. The book is OK - something to do on a slow weekend. The hero and story are your typical fantasy cliches. Not bad for a freebie. I won't be spending the 2.99 for the second.

Next, I'm reading Taming Flame and Knights of Armoth(both free with high reviews).

So far I have not been able to find an Indie author that does not do the typical fantasy cliche BS(reluctant, slightly retarded hero; lame love interest; no surprises, magic saves the day) .

Shadowspawn_01, please trust me on this, Rick & Wylie's Fantastical, Magical Adventures (trilogy but only book 1 is out so far) is about to become an epic. It truly is fantastic, and the plot knocks a lot of the other biggies for six. I know! It's from a micro indie publisher, and it's going to be HUGE. the price, not for the frugal or faint hearted, but worth every cent.
    Last edited by Dill; June 2nd, 2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspawn_01 View Post
    Would you mind not dropping the 'R' word into your posts in future, please?

And I would suggest that if that's all you can find, you're not looking hard enough, though sadly no recommendations immediately come to mind.

Can anyone recommend me something similar to either The Deepgate Codex or the Coldfire trilogy?

I enjoyed the first for its adventurous, carnivalesque feel and sort of video game/anime influence in the setting? I'd say it was cartoonish, but in a good way. Same with Coldfire, though I also enjoyed it because heroes in the mould of Vryce always appeal to me (those who question authority even as they serve it), and Tarrant's attitude kept me smirking a good ways through.

Stories with airships and/or cat people are definitely always a plus
    Last edited by Starwind; June 6th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.