Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind View Post
    Can anyone recommend me something similar to either The Deepgate Codex or the Coldfire trilogy?
    Hi Starwind,

Welcome to SFFWorld. I've not read the two series you cite, but the descriptions you gave leads me to think you might consider the series Tales of the Jetty Kay, by Chris Wooding. The first book in that series is Retribution Falls.

Pete

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Hi Starwind,

Welcome to SFFWorld. I've not read the two series you cite, but the descriptions you gave leads me to think you might consider the series Tales of the Jetty Kay, by Chris Wooding. The first book in that series is Retribution Falls.

Pete
    I'm reading Retribution Falls right now, I'm lovin it , bigtime.

So I mostly come to this website to discuss science fiction. I've never been huge into fantasy. I've never even read any of the Ice and Fire novels.
    What fantasy novels can you all recommend that will either (a) be enjoyable despite my general disinterest in fantasy, or (b) perhaps change my mind about fantasy?

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Aware Eagle View Post
    So I mostly come to this website to discuss science fiction. I've never been huge into fantasy. I've never even read any of the Ice and Fire novels.
    What fantasy novels can you all recommend that will either (a) be enjoyable despite my general disinterest in fantasy, or (b) perhaps change my mind about fantasy?
    You just said it, read A Song of Ice & Fire, starts with Game of Thrones.

Well, what sort of SF do you like? That'll give us some ideas of what you might like in fantasy, as well.

btw, I've never read any of the ASOIAF books either.

You may enjoy China Mieville's Bas Lag series. Start with The Scar.

I would also highly recommend Richard Morgan's Land fit for Heroes series.
    Last edited by Starwind; June 7th, 2012 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Well, what sort of SF do you like? That'll give us some ideas of what you might like in fantasy, as well.

btw, I've never read any of the ASOIAF books either.
    I really like space opera. My favorite sci-fi novel is probably 2001: A Space Odyssey. I just read Leviathan Wakes and really enjoyed that.
    I also love Vonnegut's mix of humor and sci-fi.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I just might have to borrow my roommate's copy of Game of Thrones and start that when I'm done with my current book.
    Feel free to keep making recommendations.

Hey Starwind, for airships... dirigibles, Jules Verne, remember ; Robur the conqueror, etc. Also, the was a book out in the seventies, or earlier; the game players of zan (or zen), didn't finish it and I'm not sure why, but it was very talked about in its day, you might enjoy it, if you can find it. Best wishes Chang

Quote Originally Posted by Starwind View Post
    Stories with airships and/or cat people are definitely always a plus
    As for airships, a recent novel, Farlander (The Heart of the World) by Col Buchanan includes one. It doesn't dominate the book but does make more than a token appearance (I don't want to get into more detail for fear of spoilers).

There is also an early to mid-90's seven book series, called the The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, in which an airship plays a substantial part.

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding what to read next as I'm currently coming to the end of The Black Company series. I'm quite a new reader and have found some books hard going, for example I struggled to get into Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before as I found it overly descriptive for my taste.

The books or series that I've enjoyed so far are:

Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns
    Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle
    Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle
    G.R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
    Glen Cook's The Black Company (absolutely loved so far)

I've enjoyed the character development in all of these as well as the epic nature of the latter two.

Any books or series you can recommend that are along these lines would be great,

Many thanks.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    You should try the Ryiria Revelations by Michael Sullivan for good characterization and epic adventures. Also The Chatthrand Voyage by Robert V S Reddick and Mistborn by Sanderson if you haven't already.

Rogue Warrior
    I'll second the Chathrand Voyage, I always pimp that series, love it. I'm reading Wooding's Retribution Falls right now and really diggin this, everybody loves this series too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylie View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding what to read next as I'm currently coming to the end of The Black Company series. I'm quite a new reader and have found some books hard going, for example I struggled to get into Scott Bakker's The Darkness that Comes Before as I found it overly descriptive for my taste.

The books or series that I've enjoyed so far are:

Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns
    Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle
    Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle
    G.R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
    Glen Cook's The Black Company (absolutely loved so far)

I've enjoyed the character development in all of these as well as the epic nature of the latter two.

Any books or series you can recommend that are along these lines would be great,

Many thanks.
    Since you like Glen Cook's The Black Company it's hard to imagine you wouldn't like Cook's Dread Empire or Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

I havent read anything fantasy in ages since i read all abercrombies books, which i loved.

Can anyone recommend me something similar?

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Aurora View Post
    I havent read anything fantasy in ages since i read all abercrombies books, which i loved.

Can anyone recommend me something similar?

Thankyou
    Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains and Cold Commands are modern fantasy books that I think come the closest to Abercrombie's style. I think you'd probably also enjoy Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series.

Rylie, you'd probably like them too.
    Last edited by HeclaBull; July 2nd, 2012 at 03:08 PM.