Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    juzzza,

Have you tried Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin by Douglas Hulick?
    I'll second a vote for this one. Or maybe Prince of Thorns?

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    juzzza,

Have you tried Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin by Douglas Hulick?
    Consider it Kindled! Thanks, buddy.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I'll second a vote for this one. Or maybe Prince of Thorns?
    Excellent, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Right, I have just bought one of those kindle things.

• Joe Abercrombie
    • Scott Lynch
    • Matthew Stover
    • Peter V Brett

Hit me.
    Check out The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert Redick. It's the first novel in very good fantasy series called the Chathrand Voyage.

Carl Alves

The Void by Brett Talley

I don't know if anyone has had a chance to check out The Void by Brett Talley. Great book. I would recommend it. I'm giving away an autographed copy on my website.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I'm looking for a book or series that involves this world, this real world, and also involves spirit worlds. The spirit worlds should be beautiful and eerie, mysterious, haunting, frightening, and even sometimes cute. A sense that this otherworld is not completely knowable.

Something along the lines of Gaiman's Sandman, Miyazaki's Spirited Away, or Tanith Lee's Flat Earth. Where else would I look for more of the otherworldly and sublime?

I was thinking of giving Clive Barker's Abarat series a spin, or Garth Nix.
    Gaimans Neverwhere, without a doubt. Barkers weaveworld and imajica delve in between worlds as well

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Am I the only the person here who doesn't savor looking through long threads of recommendations made by people who probably don't have the same or similar tastes as mine?
    yes, no, maybe

Looking for some books with druidic-type protagonists. They don't have to be Merlin copy cats (in fact, I hope they aren't), and they don't have to be D&D archetypes, either. Anyone?
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; August 16th, 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Repetition of words.

Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    Looking for some books with druidic-type protagonists. They don't have to be Merlin copy cats (in fact, I hope they aren't), and they don't have to be D&D archetypes, either. Anyone?
    There's The Druid King by Norman Spinrad. It's about the Gallic warrior chief Vercingetorix, who lived and trained with the druids and used their help to unite Gaul and fight against Caesar. It's historical fiction with a lot of fantasy elements and I liked it when I read it years ago.

Have you read The Song of Albion trilogy by Stephen Lawhead?

Hecla - I'm wanting to veer away from the more historical stuff at the moment. I've read a lot of it. So much so, that I've overdosed on it a bit.

Amethyst - I've read his King Raven trilogy, but not anything else by him. I just looked him up and was surprised. I didn't know he had written that much stuff.

Hey there

I just finnished reading the Eragon/Inheritance Cycle and really enjoyed it. I've not read a whole lot of fantasy before. I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations of what I may like.

I like the setting and general storyline of Inheritance. Also I like to have a bit of romance thrown in to the story.

Preferably it would be at least a trilogy or a even longer series (or a book with planned sequels) as I enjoy longer stories.

One last thing, I consider it a big bonus, if the book is "big"/known enough to perhaps be translated in my local language (swedish) and maybe even as an audiobook.

PS. I realize a lot of people appear to hate the Eragon books, and I can kind of see why, with the stolen ideas and stuff, but I enjoyed it anyhow, sue me. Could be because of my lack of fantasy books to compare it too, I dont know.The ending pissed me off though.
    Last edited by Isidor; August 29th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isidor View Post
    Hey there

I just finnished reading the Eragon/Inheritance Cycle and really enjoyed it. I've not read a whole lot of fantasy before. I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations of what I may like.
    Hey Isidor,

No need to apologize for what you like. Everything works for somebody out there somewhere.

If you liked how Paolini's series went, then you might also like some of David Eddings' series (e.g. Belgariad, Malloreon, Elenium, Tamuli), or possibly Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I would suspect that both recommendations are sufficiently 'big' enough to have made it into Swedish.

Pete

I would think that of the two, surely Eddings is closest to Paolini's books?

I don't know what the story of Paolini's series is, but I do think you might enjoy Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom of Landover (starts with Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! although I don't know if it has a Swedish translation or title). It's six books long, pretty easy to read and kinda fun. Not the best series in the world, but sufficiently good.

Wink

[QUOTE=Isidor;694888]Hey there

Ive read the Inheritance Cycle as well, i found it highly enjoyable. Something you may like could be The sword of truth, by Terry Goodkind. its starts well, falters slightly in the middle, but it gets better at the end. Its about 13 books and most of them are a really good read. *warning* please ignore the absolute tat TV programme very loosely based on the series, it was truly awful.
    ps you can get them in Swedish but ive read on a blog they split the books in 2.
    "In the swedish version each book is divided into 2 (almost everyone)"