Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    my taste and opinions - because i desire recommendations

    just a perspective about my tastes and thoughts and opinions. im not going to discuss them, i dont care how valid you think they are, i am posting them so like minded people might recommend some stuff i might enjoy

    modesitt - yes, even his sci-fi stuff

    feist - yes, excepting some of the new stuff he phoned in

    shannara - yes, a little hokey and fairy talish, but i love them none the less

    dan brown - yes, and i hadnt even heard of the davinci code when i read angels and demons, and i think its apparent to anyone that read both that davinci is just a rehash of angels, but not as good

    crichton - yes

    stephen king - no, just never found his stuff to be entertaining, maybe someone can recommend a specific novel people with fantasy leanings tend to enjoy more....

    goodkind - yes, until the books are obnoxious rehash

    memory sorrow thorn - yes

    otherland - doorstop

    McJordan - doorstop

    dragonlance and MW + TH - yes, i love adventure hack and slash, i like fun, just not poorly written adventure fun, its very hard to find adventure novels that arent tripe in my experience

    most sci-fi - emphatic no, good sci-fi, emphatic yes

    most female authors - no, i have a male mindset to an extent so most female authors irritate me. i dont identify as a male, i am just a person who happens to be male, so while i enjoy male oriented storylines and characters, i am not a fan of being overtly fixated on any gender or praising one. in my opinion most women identify as women, and it comes through in their writing, where as the authors i enjoy most identify as a being/human first, and a male second. like i said, its my opinion, if you dont agree, great, im not arguing about it. all that being said the few female authors i have read that i enjoyed i enjoyed more than most because of their unique perspective, and it was tolerable because it wasnt female centric, or whatever the proper terminology is.

    dark sun novels - yes, fun stuff

    vampires, eagles, moon, majic, faeries, anime, daemons, wicca, vampires, lust/lascivious fixations etc etc = no x 8 billion - i am not an upset 16 year old goth girl, i do not sit in graveyards and cry or wear makeup. i race and build motorcycles, and work with rescue dogs, and study.

    time travel - yes

    monsters - yes

    violence - yes

    stories about messing with peoples minds/perception - yes

    tolkien - no, but awesome storyline and movies, i would have to clear my mind and live a very simple life to really get into the story as he wrote it and enjoy it, its very fairytale to me

    thats all i got for now, so anyone that wants to recommend authors or specific titles, thanks a bunch

    one book i have read that has always stood out but i never hear anyone mention is "crescent city rhapsody" its by some lady, its awesome
    Last edited by willybeamish; October 4th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User Luke_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    most sci-fi - emphatic no, good sci-fi, emphatic yes
    Really? I only like not good sci-fi so I don't think you'll like my recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    most female authors - no, i have a male mindset to an extent so most female authors irritate me. i dont identify as a male, i am just a person who happens to be male, so while i enjoy male oriented storylines and characters, i am not a fan of being overtly fixated on any gender or praising one. in my opinion most women identify as women, and it comes through in their writing, where as the authors i enjoy most identify as a being/human first, and a male second. like i said, its my opinion, if you dont agree, great, im not arguing about it. all that being said the few female authors i have read that i enjoyed i enjoyed more than most because of their unique perspective, and it was tolerable because it wasnt female centric, or whatever the proper terminology is.
    Before I can recommend anything to you I need to know how old you are? You see, I have a white, middle class, age 25-30 male mindset. I really don't enjoy any books written by white, middle class males over the age of 30 because it's too 30+ centric. Same goes for books written for white, middle class males under age 25.
    Last edited by Luke_B; October 5th, 2008 at 03:34 AM.

  3. #3
    Well you stated earlier that you didnt want any discussion of your tastes but since this is a discussion forum perhaps you would clear this up for me?

    You praise Goodkind Feist and Williams but call LOTR fairytale??? I'm really confused here, because most people see Goodkinds and to a point Williams MST series to be very very heavily influenced by/derived from LOTR. In addition I think the inherently racist, nostalgic and nationalistic undertones make LOTR a lot more serious than others on your list. Also most people miss this but LOTR is alot less black and white than most people realize.
    Last edited by Afrobro; October 5th, 2008 at 06:09 PM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,993
    Blog Entries
    4
    Nice attempt at humour there Luke.

    What i'm curious about is why Jordan is "McJordan"? Something to do with McDonalds?

  5. #5
    It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Widdershins
    Posts
    2,023
    i hope we don't scare a newcomer away by making fun of his opinions. just to throw a few names his way:
    - Greg Keyes - Kingdom of Thorn and Bone - finished series in 4 volumes, decently written with plenty action.
    - George R R Martin - top of the billboard on this forum, unfinished series with poor perspectives for next volumes. I think you should start with a short story set in the Seven Kingdoms : The Hedge Knight, and if you like it go for A Song of Ice and Fire or for Fevre Dream [horror]
    - Paul Kearney - Monarchies of God - finished series, good action, elegant and spare style.

    I really think you should reconsider your attitude towards female authors : you're missing on a lot of very good authors : Robin Hobb, Lois McMaster Bujold, Patricia mcKillip, Jennifer Roberson, Jacqueline Carey, Ursula K LeGuin, Connie Willis, ... and the list could go on and on and on.

    the best thing you can do is search for a specific thread : "If you like ... then you would like ..." . it's somewhere in the huge recommendation thread.

  6. #6
    thanks

    ill check out the stuff you recommended. my attitude didnt exist until 10 years after id been reading fantasy, and i realized it did because i found myself not liking most of the stuff women wrote. and it hasnt changed in the last 10 years. ill check out anyone someone with similar tastes recommends.

  7. #7
    Algernon youre absolutely right. Sry for willyB, but you should really try leguin are butler I think they write for a really humanistic point of view in most of thier sci-fi novels. Some of them are really pretty old now but you can get them used off amazon. I really liked the dispossessed, it's kinda of social sci-fi in a way so maybe you should check that out.

  8. #8
    I understand where you are coming from on the female writer thing. Their stories tend to be very different then the ones guys write. Doesn't mean I will stop reading books by females, they just usually write in a distinct tone even if they are still good. However, there are exceptions to every rule and that is why I recommend Robin Hobb.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,901
    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    otherland - doorstop

    McJordan - doorstop
    Yes these are big books, but what is your point? Like or dislike?

    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    dragonlance and MW + TH - yes, i love adventure hack and slash, i like fun, just not poorly written adventure fun, its very hard to find adventure novels that arent tripe in my experience
    I guess you like them? Even though one of the authors is is a female?

    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    most sci-fi - emphatic no, good sci-fi, emphatic yes
    Like Luke B, I try to read only the bad science fiction.

    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    most female authors - no, i have a male mindset to an extent so most female authors irritate me. i dont identify as a male, i am just a person who happens to be male, so while i enjoy male oriented storylines and characters, i am not a fan of being overtly fixated on any gender or praising one. in my opinion most women identify as women, and it comes through in their writing, where as the authors i enjoy most identify as a being/human first, and a male second. like i said, its my opinion, if you dont agree, great, im not arguing about it. all that being said the few female authors i have read that i enjoyed i enjoyed more than most because of their unique perspective, and it was tolerable because it wasnt female centric, or whatever the proper terminology is.
    I could really go on about this strange paragraph, but I'm sure you realize both some of the inconsistencies and the fact that you are shunning a lot of good writers.


    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    vampires, eagles, moon, majic, faeries, anime, daemons, wicca, vampires, lust/lascivious fixations etc etc = no x 8 billion - i am not an upset 16 year old goth girl, i do not sit in graveyards and cry or wear makeup. i race and build motorcycles, and work with rescue dogs, and study.
    I'm not "an upset 16 year old goth girl, i do not sit in graveyards and cry or wear makeup" but find doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good Vampire / Demon / Faerie tale. I don't know but some authors who tell really enjoyable stories about some of the above, whose audience is more than the 16 year old goth girl: Jim Butcher, E.E. Knight, Charlie Huston, T.A. Pratt, Scott Westerfeld, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    tolkien - no, but awesome storyline and movies, i would have to clear my mind and live a very simple life to really get into the story as he wrote it and enjoy it, its very fairytale to me
    I don't even know what that means, you like the storyline but think the books would be simplistic?


    Quote Originally Posted by willybeamish View Post
    one book i have read that has always stood out but i never hear anyone mention is "crescent city rhapsody" its by some lady, its awesome
    Whoooaa! I thought you tended to stay away from female authors?

  11. #11
    Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The island of Arylyn
    Posts
    1,484
    Rob, you screwed up my private bet with myself. I was certain that your first post would consist of pointing to the Recommendation thread and closing this thread.
    To Willy, let me think...You might like Eric Von Lustbader's Sunset Warrior Trilogy. Mathew Stover's novels are supposed to be full of action, but not the mindless kind. His books are hard to find, but maybe they'll get reprinted soon. Scott Bakker's books are dark, bleak, and dense with philosophy. They're also extremely well written with a protagonist unlike any other. His action sequences in the final two volumes of his initial trilogy are also quite good. R.A. Salvatore might fit your needs, since he tends to be a guy who writes stories guys like. His novels are also full of action, and his creation of the tortured Dark Elf, Drizzt, is pretty cool. Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant can be dark and depressing if you allow yourself to focus on the main character. If you can focus on the secondary characters, it's a much better series. This is especially so if you focus on the Land (the world where everything is happening), itself, which is a character in its own right. That is until the final novel of the First Chronicles when it is safe to focus on Covenant. The Second Chronicles will break your heart until the end. One other author others recommend because of his ability to mix action and also a personal philosophy is David Gemmell. I've not read him much myself, but he's reputed to be very good. Glen Cook's Black Company novels are also very good.
    There you go, a lot of books by guys and for guys.
    Last edited by Davis Ashura; October 6th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

  12. #12
    by doorstop i literally meant ive been using them as doorstops. if anyone wants to trade some wot and otherland stuff for something else, ill send them your way. dont wantem.

    thanks for the additional recommendations

  13. #13
    You like Feist, Brooks, Williams etc... but not Jordan? I understand not liking later Jordan but I would have thought early WOT would have been right up your alley.

  14. #14
    the first 2 were ok, but its just bland pumped out for mainstream, why i called it mcjordan. the most cliche and simple of all concepts, 101, with nothing noteworthy to myself or interesting outside of that. just not my bag

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •