Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisingr

Brisingr

For those who read Brisingr what do you think of it?

Star Wars and LOTR rif-off. I don't need to read it to know it.

Haven't read it. Did read Eragon. What I liked about that one for a YA is the philosophical debate of the protagonist when his world gets tossed upside down -- do I have to kill, is harm the only way to solve this, etc. I thought the movie, which was quite different from the book and very uneven, was wrong to mostly drop that aspect. I'm curious how the author has developed this dilemma in his series.

For me, Paolini is rather a fussy author in style, and needs to work on dialogue, but he's not the only one I've had that reaction to, and he's got time to learn. But he gets in some good shots, does nice world-building and his very tangled partnership between young man and dragon is kind of interesting and different from other human-beast team-ups. The dragon really gets to throw her weight around, but in an intelligent way. This seems to be the aspect that most connects with the kids.

Brisingr was cool!

Hey, I read Brisingr on opening day, and Paolini really gets away from the Star Wars and LOTR rip offs in this book. He is still a bit predictable, but he really is getting better I think.
    Book itself was great, best one so far. Can't wait to see what happens in book 4.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    So... how come it took like 10 years for Paolini to finish his trilogy?

Uh, Moderator
    Damn forum crash ate my post linking to David Anthony Durham's review of Brisingr at The Washington Post.
    He tries to addrss the subject of why the series is immensely popular yet so often derided, but I don't think he spends enough time on it and should write a follow up essay.

Dear Evil Agent,

it is so not a trilogy anymore, since Paolini made that announcement a while ago that it was a cycle, not a trilogy. I think it was a good move and a bad move. good, becuase it allows more time for character development and such, and bad because now we have to wait for the fourth book.
    just wanted to let you know.

I think he just wanted to cash in more on the gravy train. Which in actuality, is fine with me, writers need to make money like everyone else.

I've read some of it and read spoilers of the rest, and it's terrible -- even worse than its predecessors. Eragon was the best because it was fast-paced; Eldest was bad because (aside from the usual criticisms) nothing happened and there was way too much deus ex machina; in Brisingr, hardly anything happens to further the plot. Every chapter involves some shallow moral question. Paolini's trying to be, um, cool like other new authors by focusing on philosophy as well as plot (Bakker, Rothfuss). The problems are (a) those authors can construct captivating plots and characters and (b) they don't beat you over the head with their themes.

I was really hoping Paolini would turn the corner here. He's actually going downhill. It's disgusting.

Has he turned 16 yet, cause y'know he's been 15 for an unusual amount of time

Blog Entries
    I have a quick question: how is it like Star Wars? I dont see that connection what so ever...

I agree that it was a bit...boring; i stopped half-way through, and went on to read the end because nothing was happening, and nothing really did happen except what we all expected would. I was a bit suprised to find that there was going to be another book, as I figured this was the last of the series...

with that said, I hope something happens in the fourth one.

Uh, Moderator
    Is anyone prepared to discuss the book, rather its predecessors or the author? It strikes me as strange that a series of books which has sold squillions of copies has so few people willing to talk positively about it here - and even then, seem to do so in an almost apologetic tone.

Analyze That
    Quote Originally Posted by Mage- View Post
    Paolini's trying to be, um, cool like other new authors by focusing on philosophy as well as plot (Bakker, Rothfuss). The problems are (a) those authors can construct captivating plots and characters and (b) they don't beat you over the head with their themes.
    It's extraodinarily difficult for an author to focus on philosophy and plot at the same time. Even the aforementioned authors focussed on one moreso than the other. I've haven't read read Brisingr yet, (I should soon, and I'll post what I think about it then,) but if Paolini's going for the philisophical route, it's a very ambitious way to write your books.

For instance, Bakker had excellent philosophies, character development and worldbuilding, but his plotting was very basic. There's not enough room in a book for an author to have long internal monologues, and still having the plot moving along nicely. The closest I've seen to getting a good balance of this is the Book of Joby, by Mark J. Ferrari, and that was only because the philosophy in it was the centre of the plotline. If Paolini can have even a half decent plot while trying to focus on internal monologues, I'd be quite impressed.

Blog Entries
    Alright, after gathering some of my thoughts (which i didn't have earlier due to lack of sleep), I shall attempt to say something of worth.

Brisingr is by no means a bad book; I loved it. I love the way Paolini describes things and in many circumstances, his descriptions are neccessary for the reader to understand certain material.

I love the fact that we get a dynamic view of each individual, as it is focused on many characters all at once so you are able to see a wider scope of things.

With that said, although I love the story, at certain times, it needed action. Perhaps that would've been cliche, but that's my opinion. As Eragon's world is under attack, I would have expected such. That is what I attempted to say earlier but failed to.

So, are we ready for discussion? yes.. I think that everyone here deserves to have their opinions respected, and by no means should they be considered wrong. Just because some people don't agree with the book, doesn't mean they're not discussing it.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Ah, a cycle...

Is that the new term for a never-ending money milking machine?

LOL...