Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brisingr

i don't understand how so many people can not like the book! I've just got to uni, and all my new friends are like lining up to read it! They were like 'omg, you have it, can I borrow it please????' usually i would say no, but i am trying to make friends! lol

That's okay, Stenny. Don't worry about who doesn't like it, just talk about what you like about it.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    [Post removed by Evil Agent, who feels it was a little bit snarky]
    Last edited by Evil Agent; October 12th, 2008 at 03:02 PM.

I've said it once i'll say it again.

We all liked Lord of the rings, star wars Earthsea Dragonriders of pern etc first time round,

Not to mention Eragons Arya relationship comes across as a stalker potential rapist one. Eragon wont take no for an answer in Eldest and follows her around. In Eragon also he has a crazy obsessiveness over her bordering on unhealthy. None of the characters come off as real. Eragon is a big Mary sue and Paolini has admitted that he based Eragon on himself. (which is worrying considering the way he acts in the book. example. DIE HUMANS DIE DIE DIE OMI GOD I KILLED A BUNNY AM GONNA CRY. and ARYA LOVE ME LOVE ME YOU SAY NO BUT I WILL FOLLOW AND ANNOY YOU ANYWAY.

Also i hate how its evil when the bad guys do something but when the good guys do the same thing its alright because they're good. They're just bad bad characters

Quote Originally Posted by Anthorn View Post
    I've said it once i'll say it again.

We all liked Lord of the rings, star wars Earthsea Dragonriders of pern etc first time round,

Not to mention Eragons Arya relationship comes across as a stalker potential rapist one. Eragon wont take no for an answer in Eldest and follows her around. In Eragon also he has a crazy obsessiveness over her bordering on unhealthy. None of the characters come off as real. Eragon is a big Mary sue and Paolini has admitted that he based Eragon on himself. (which is worrying considering the way he acts in the book. example. DIE HUMANS DIE DIE DIE OMI GOD I KILLED A BUNNY AM GONNA CRY. and ARYA LOVE ME LOVE ME YOU SAY NO BUT I WILL FOLLOW AND ANNOY YOU ANYWAY.

Also i hate how its evil when the bad guys do something but when the good guys do the same thing its alright because they're good. They're just bad bad characters
    I thought this thread was about Brisingr? Do you have anything to say about the book? By the way, you sound really hateful. That's worrying.

Analyze That
    I'm not a big fan of the series (It is very cliche, but there is people that like that sort of thing,) but do we really have to attack the people who actually do like the book. Saying no offense does not mean no offence will be taken, by the way.

I remind everyone to stop the troll-baiting or your posts will be removed or edited and you'll be in danger of a Strike. Stick to the books and respect the views of those who disagree with you.

Learco raises a decent point -- anyone who has actually read Brisingr want to comment on it?
    Last edited by KatG; October 12th, 2008 at 03:22 PM.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Just finished Donaldson's Fatal Revenant and am now onto Brisingr. With all of my pre-orders just showing up, I read whatever I grab next (which does make it tough - I will one day have to sit down and read Malazan books consecutively to appreciate the entire fabric). Only ≈100p into Brisingr, and so far it seems like Paolini. It reads quick, the dragon remains confidently imperious, the younger characters remain in a 'maturing' stage (although they have a greater estimate of themselves than may be warranted - but isn't that how it's supposed to be in youth?) and, well, that's as far as I've been after the first ≈100p. Some problem/obstacle resolution does seem implausible, as the protangonist, eventually, becomes hale and whole again and one case he.....
    Spoiler:
    becomes, via ancient ritual, a hybrid human/elf with more speed, strength, etc. - kinda reminded me of watching people power-level their characters in Everquest

So far, it seems like his previous two installments. Whatever impression those two left you with, will, in all likelihood, be the same impression you gain from this one.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; October 13th, 2008 at 08:56 AM.

All right, my original post was a little too strong. Paolini still has about fifteen different Achilles' heels, but he does branch out in this novel. IMO, his plot and characters are just sloppy and remain relatively unoriginal. I was blowing off steam because I was hoping he'd return to the more gripping adventure sort of storyline that dominated Eragon. He didn't.

Ranke Lidyek
    Quote Originally Posted by Mage- View Post
    All right, my original post was a little too strong. Paolini still has about fifteen different Achilles' heels, but he does branch out in this novel. IMO, his plot and characters are just sloppy and remain relatively unoriginal. I was blowing off steam because I was hoping he'd return to the more gripping adventure sort of storyline that dominated Eragon. He didn't.
    I think your statements were fair. I enjoyed Eragon, a decent adventure story at heart. The problem is that Paolini bought into his own press and thinks he's Tolkien. His writing lacks the depth, substance, and symbolism that Tolkien seemed to understand subconsciously. If Paolini decided to just entertain, he'd be a better author; I wish he'd understand that. It's OKAY to not be Tolkien--there's a reason there's only been one.... because that sort of involved mythic writing is more difficult than it appears. So, who is Paolini, not who does he "want" to be. I contend that Paolini is a pulp fantasy author. That's not a bad thing! He's no wordsmith, has no understanding of pacing, description, or stimulus/internalization/response, and now--his one strength, plotting--even if derivative--has diminished under the weight of self-congratulatory prose. And yes, Eragon is a Mary Sue.

I have less of an issue about the Star Wars gripes than I do with his horrible second novel, Eldest. I think many fans of his, the ones that had hope for him in terms of development, will agree that he's regressed. Sometimes I wonder if he would have been better off not publishing until he had more seasoning and more time in the real world. Now he exists in a bubble, in isolation, and his editor seems unable or unwilling to rein in his excesses, which are many.

I haven't read Brisngr--I hope it's a step forward, but Eldest was one of the worst novels in recent memory. It had no focus, no vision, no meaning at all--and worse still, it was BORING. I'm not sure I can take the time to read another doorstop.

Yes, the truth stings, but keep in mind that I enjoyed Eragon for what it was--a simple, ENTERTAINING tale. To me, there aren't enough of those these days.

For one, I would like to say that while Eldest was a rather terrible book Brisingr had quite a few twists that make the story interesting. The sequences where Roran uses his originality to his advantage despite the consequences that it would most certainly entail, were very well written; despite the fact that it was slightly improbable. However, what should one expect from a fantasy novel. I felt that the book as a whole was a great addition and definitely a step forward for Paolini.

I do not think that the story is unoriginal but I do not think Paolini is the next Tolkein. The difficulty of writing a decent plot while maintaining character development at a normal rate and creating twists is, well, simply underestimated. For someone of his age to be writing at this level is quite an accomplishment and should be regarded as a stepping stone and a point of aspiration for young writers. I do not want to use his age as an excuse for his writing ability, however.

For those who are thinking about reading Brisingr or have read Eldest and are skeptical I recommend that you read the book before forming any opinions in either a positive or negative direction.

Gotta get this out there:

I think
    Spoiler:
    Brom turning out to be Eragon's real father is a laughable attempt by an ashamed Paolini to cut down on cliches. It's as though he knows his writing is derivative.