Hopefully putting this in the right place (looking for a new series to read)

Hey all, new to sffworld.com been kinda lurking around reading seems to be a pretty neat community

Anyway, I'm a HUGE GRRM fan. He was really the first SFF author to blow me away and get me frankly back into reading in general. I've picked up Erickson's Gardens of the Moon or w/e its called but was some how less impressed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good series? I really enjoyed the grittyness and humanity of Martin's characters. (That meaning, I hate when a character is completely good or completely evil like w/ Goodkind as most people in real life are more complicated then that)

I'm really open at this point in time so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forums, I've moved this to the main fantasy forum. Where you placed the thread is asking for titles of books people have forgotten.

One of the great new features of our forum is the ability to tag threads. For example anything that includes recommendations (which is basically what you are seeking) can be seen here Threads Tagged with Recommendations

I would also suggest you click around the forums for a bit and within 15 minutes you'll probably have about 3 or 4 series you'll want to read.

Failing that, I'd immediately suggest Greg Keyes's The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, which begins with The Briar King

Also Steven Erikson is the author of the Malazan series. Steve Erickson is a different author entirely.

You might try John Marco's Tyrants and Kings series. It starts with [I]The Jackal of Nar[/I]. I'm on the 3rd and last book of the series and it's been great. Very gritty and each character, whether good or bad, has good parts and flaws.

I'm a sucker for good characters. If you are looking for "grittyness and humanity", here are a few series I would suggest and particularly enjoyed.

Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy (Very gritty with fantastic characters and a wonderful plot. Might be some of the best books I have read this year.)

Scott Lynch - Gentleman Bastards (Only two books out in it yet but I loved the characters and the story. I gets better and more "real" as into the second book)

Raymond Feist/ Janny Wurts - The Empire Trilogy (I'm a Feist junkie. He's books got me reading fantasy like mad about a year ago and I haven't stopped yet. This series in particular was great. The female protaganist is very engaging and the story is wonderfully written. This series is part of a larger setting but is stands wonderfully on it's own.)

I'm also going to second Rob's suggestion on The Kingdom of Thorn and Bone.

Happy page turning and welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by Justin2209; October 30th, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: I can't spell

there's a quick easy page-turner by dave duncun called "the gilded chain". this is pretty much a stand alone, though there are other books in this universe. i was also not that impressed with malazan. maybe since i prefer a good story over some generally perceived notion of "good writing".

strange you did not mention wheel of time. for a small period in time, it probably was the most popular fantasy series.

I'll second the recommendations of Keyes, Lynch, and Abercrombie, and I'll add J. V. Jones' Sword of Shadows series for a very GRRM-ish feel.