Halloween's a-comin'!

Hi, all.

Sometimes I read seasonally. For instance, conditioned by years in grade school and college, I feel like reading a book with a literary rep. about the time school starts -- this year's was Twilight by William Gay -- and I often pull out something like A Christmas Carol or Ghost Stories of an Antiquary (M.R. James) for the December holidays.

Come Oct., though, as the nights get dark earlier and the leaves begin to clutter the pavement and lawns, I want to settle into something ... outre, uncanny, spooky, ghostly, ... wicked. Works I've read in the past include,

Jonathan Carroll, The Marriage of Sticks
    Poppy Z. Brite, Wormwood (col)
    Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell, From Hell (graphic novel)
    John Connelly, Every Dead Thing
    Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Stewart O’Nan, The Night Country
    Bob Leman, The Feesters in the Lake and Other Stories (col)
    Christopher Priest, The Prestige
    Norman Partridge, Dark Harvest
    Thomas Ligotti, Grimscribe (col)

This year I'm already two-thirds through Ramsey Campbell's Ancient Images -- unless it tails off badly, I'll be mentioning this in the reading thread and probably in the recommendations thread -- and I'll probably follow it up with either Campbell's Midnight Sun or with Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October.

So ...

Am I the only one who tailors his reading for October and Halloween?

If not, what have you read in the past? And what are you planning on reading to get in the mood this year?

Randy M.

John Joseph Adams recently published anthology The Living Dead could be good, well actually it IS good. I finished it up about a week and half ago and liked most of what I read. I'll be posting my review closer to Hallowe'en.

Al Sarrantonio has quite a few Hallowe'en themed novels.

I've been meaning to get to Norman Partridge's Dark Harvest for a while.

How about Neil Gaiman's new one - The Graveyard Book?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    John Joseph Adams recently published anthology The Living Dead could be good, well actually it IS good. I finished it up about a week and half ago and liked most of what I read. I'll be posting my review closer to Hallowe'en.
    I look forward to that. I'm not big on zombies, but that has a good line-up of writers.

Al Sarrantonio has quite a few Hallowe'en themed novels.

I've been meaning to get to Norman Partridge's Dark Harvest for a while.

How about Neil Gaiman's new one - The Graveyard Book?
    I have one of Sarrantonio's Halloween books, but haven't read it, yet, and I'm also looking forward to hearing what other people have to say about the Gaiman -- his Coraline would also be a good Halloween read, sitting somewhat closer to Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes than to Partridge's novel. I did like Dark Harvest; it wasn't quite what I was expecting -- I didn't realize it would be written in a noir-ish style -- and that turned out to be a good thing.

Randy M.

I'm working my way through The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard, with an eye toward a review later in the month. October seemed like a good time for this one.

What bout Weston Ochse? His novel Scarecrow Gods won the Bram Stoker award for Superior Achievement in First Novel in 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    What bout Weston Ochse? His novel Scarecrow Gods won the Bram Stoker award for Superior Achievement in First Novel in 2005?
    I've heard of it, but haven't come across it yet. Sounds like it might be a good choice, though.

Another book came to mind: Blind Voices by Tom Reamy. It's been a long while since I read it, but it had some of the Bradbury flavor to it. I liked it at the time and it makes a good companion read with Something Wicked This Way Comes. (Other good companions for SWTWC are, in one direction, The Circus of Dr. Lao and in a very different way, Stewart O'Nan's The Night Country, which is dedicated to Bradbury.)

Randy M.

Bumping this up ...

So, whatcha doing for tomorrow? Any reading or viewing planned for Halloween night?

Randy M.

I pulled out one of my old books of Lovecraft stories and read The Dunwich Horror. I've always had a soft spot for Lovecraft because many of his stories take place not far from home.

Taking kids trick or treating so I doubt I'll be reading or viewing much.

I was just thinking, or rather for part of today, I was thinking what I could read tomorrow for Hallowe'en. I posted a mini-review of The Graveyard Book on my blog today in anticpation of tomorrow.

Tomorrow night, though, going to a party at a friends. Much beer will be consumed.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    EZ: There's a great audio copy of The Dunwich Horror from the 1945 radio show Suspense HERE.

As for me, well, plans rearranged. In the end, my reading seems to consist of the Illustrated Version of Stephen King's 'Salems Lot. It's been a while since I read the original. Old deserted houses and vampires. Great stuff.

Later, there will be films: old stuff and newish stuff.

Not to mention the traditional lighting of 'Old Bob.'

Happy Hallloween, everyone.
    Mark

Wow! I read "Salem's Lot" 20 years ago and I remember it was scary and I loved it. It fits the Halloween mood, all right!

Happy Halloween every one!
    Have a spooktacular night!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    Another book came to mind: Blind Voices by Tom Reamy. It's been a long while since I read it, but it had some of the Bradbury flavor to it.
    I love that book. It's like an "adult" version of Something Wicked. Have you read Reamy's short stories? There's a collection out called San Diego Lightfoot Sue.

The only season reading I do is for Halloween, and this year it's Dracula. Last year it was Dark Harvest. Year before that was the October Dreams collection.