Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in April 2014

Here's where you tell us what Fantasy and Horror you've been reading this month. Whether good or bad, we want to hear what you think.

Mark/Hobbit
    Mark

First!!!!!

I'm reading Moth and Spark by Anne Leonard. I think it's going to end up a romance/epic fantasy, which is why I chose it. Hope it's good. Could use the help with researching how other authors write romance and love. I'm three chapters in, and so far, the book is slow. In the first two chapters, the sentence structure was a bit odd with use of short, choppy sentences - they were punchy in places of exposition. Threw me a bit, and there are also lots of sentences ending on a preposition. Needed lots of concentration there. However, in the next chapter, the sentences have become more 'traditional' and the writing is actually easier to read.
    We'll see how it goes.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Been told it's loosely based on Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Davis, but with a more Fantasy setting. (Dragons?) Be interested in reading what you think.

M.
    Mark

Recently finished K.V. Johanson's Blackdog. Excellently done fantasy that's both stand-alone and non-european epic fantasy. Looking forward to the new trilogy that takes place in the same world.

Currently, I finally jumped into Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. I don't know how many recommendations I've heard about this over the years from here and elsewhere and I'm loving it. Fun adventure all around.

Listening to Breach Zone, the finale of the Shadow Ops trilogy by Myke Cole. I've loved the story and everything about this series for the most part, but the only failing here is actually the narrator. He reads so slowly it really takes a lot of the tension out of just about every scene. Great voices, but there's something crazy going on when a normal audiobook this size is 9 discs and this one is 12.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Finished Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes, and can't say enough good things about it. I loved it, loved every page. I have enjoyed each of Joe's books more than the previous one, so far. Looking forward to reading Red Country, probably sometime later this year.

Now I'm re-reading some Asimov, for the first time in nearly 20 years, but I guess this is the wrong forum for that!

I tore through Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards in a couple of days. A murder mystery set in a mythicized Scotland. A bit of implied myth/magic, but a mystery novel at its core. And quite enjoyable, I'd like to read more Talus tales.

I just finished Michael Sullivan's Rise of Empire and enjoyed it more than the first book of the trilogy (sexology?). It felt more arcing as opposed to episodic, which is how I thought the first book read. Now, I am on to Heir of Novron, the final book, and very much looking forward to it.

P.S. Glad to hear good things about Talus and the Frozen King, that one's been on my radar.

Blog Entries
    Finished Lord of Chaos as part of my Wheel of Time reread (Took me 51 days. I'm so ashamed!). Now it's on to The One Tree as part of my Entire Thomas Covenant Saga reread.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I tore through Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards in a couple of days. A murder mystery set in a mythicized Scotland. A bit of implied myth/magic, but a mystery novel at its core. And quite enjoyable, I'd like to read more Talus tales.
    I'm not tearing through it, but I am enjoying it. As can be deduced from that statement, I'm reading it, too. I should have it done soon. Should we do another review round-table? Anyone else reading it?

I'm also reading Tales from High Hallack - short story collection by Andre Norton. I'm not that into them. I've tried skipping around a bit and nothing is grabbing me. I may put this down and pick it up in the winter when it might fit my mood better.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Ashura View Post
    I'm reading Moth and Spark by Anne Leonard. I think it's going to end up a romance/epic fantasy, which is why I chose it. Hope it's good. Could use the help with researching how other authors write romance and love. I'm three chapters in, and so far, the book is slow. In the first two chapters, the sentence structure was a bit odd with use of short, choppy sentences - they were punchy in places of exposition. Threw me a bit, and there are also lots of sentences ending on a preposition. Needed lots of concentration there. However, in the next chapter, the sentences have become more 'traditional' and the writing is actually easier to read.
    We'll see how it goes.
    I was underwhelmed by this one. The relationship was of the insta-love variety, which is a pet peeve of mine. I also thought the plot was weak and the worldbuilding needed fleshing out. The dragons were under-utilized. We're told about stuff that happens, but most of it happens offstage. Obstacles in the story conveniently melted away one by one so that I never really felt the full impact of the struggle or the devastation of the war. By the time of the big confrontation I was past caring. There were some nice atmospheric passages, and the heroine was refreshingly sensible, but I was pretty much lukewarm about everything else.

I like how Lois McMaster Bujold handles romance in her novels. Shards of Honor is a good one.

As for SFF I've read lately, I've enjoyed the first two books of Rachel Bach's Paradox trilogy (Space Opera/Adventure). I'm looking forward to the final installment that comes out later this month.
    Last edited by Raule; April 4th, 2014 at 02:47 PM.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Some of this is March reading, but I recently read the second installment in Kate Elliott's Crown of Shadows series Prince of Dogs. It was quite good, and I am enjoying the series. I hoping the quality holds up as I delve further into the series.

I also read Acacia War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham. Though I enjoyed the most of the book and enjoyed his handling of the drug trade and slave trade elements, there was a moment towards the end that I thought was just plain stupid...

Spoiler:
    The part when Aliver decided it would be a good idea to fight Maeander one on one, and ended up getting his ass killed. It just seemed out of character, especially given that he had this grand vision for the future and it all sorta hinged on him being alive to be king.

I'm not totally sure I'll carry on with that series or not.

After reading those two door stopper sized books I'm taking a brief break from fantasy but I'm thinking I wanna delve into LeGuin's Earthsea books since I haven't ever read those.

Finished reading How to Make Friends with Demons by Graham Joyce and it was another reliably good read from him.

The title is a bit deceptive; although the protagonist can see demons, it features little in the story. The story's more on the metaphorical demons he faces throughout his life.

The was a well-written, subtle slow burner of a novel - above average, but not one of his best IMO.

I finished Robin Hobb's Fool's Errand last night. It had been about a year and a half since I finished her Liveship Traders trilogy. I'd been saving The Tawny Man book, knowing how good they would be, and that once they are done, Fitz and company are done. Turns out now that is not the case - new Fitz books are on the horizon.

Returning to Hobb's world and characters is like returning to a loving embrace. Her writing is so rich and full of such emotional depth, I sink into her books more than read them. Hers are probably the most immersive books I've ever read. The experience for me is somewhere between reading and day dreaming. She is able to activate some dreaming portion of my brain while I'm still awake. And of course she manipulates my emotions like no other writer.
    Last edited by Danogzilla; April 8th, 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Some of this is March reading, but I recently read the second installment in Kate Elliott's Crown of Shadows series Prince of Dogs. It was quite good, and I am enjoying the series. I hoping the quality holds up as I delve further into the series.

I also read Acacia War with the Mein by David Anthony Durham. Though I enjoyed the most of the book and enjoyed his handling of the drug trade and slave trade elements, there was a moment towards the end that I thought was just plain stupid...

Spoiler:
    The part when Aliver decided it would be a good idea to fight Maeander one on one, and ended up getting his ass killed. It just seemed out of character, especially given that he had this grand vision for the future and it all sorta hinged on him being alive to be king.

I'm not totally sure I'll carry on with that series or not.

After reading those two door stopper sized books I'm taking a brief break from fantasy but I'm thinking I wanna delve into LeGuin's Earthsea books since I haven't ever read those.
    I was pretty surprised when your spoiler happened, but overall I thought the book was great. Book two was even cooler because you literally get to see the "Other Lands" as it is named. I haven't read the third yet, got sidetracked, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm working my way through the LOTR trilogy again. I was cleaning out the garage last month and found the paperbacks.