Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    2

    I have a question about the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan

    I am confused about which book I should read first of these 2 New Spring says it is a Prequel and The Eye of the World say it is the first book because I just got these yesterday day and I checked it out online because some series the Prequel is first and other series the Prequel is later on in the series

  2. #2
    Registered User Kazaxat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    73
    I have not actually read the prequel myself, but I would suggest starting with The Eye of the World, for a few reasons:

    1. I almost always advocate publication order rather than chronological order for any new series, simply because you can be certain of the information the author has given you up to that point without worrying if there was something perhaps mentioned in an earlier novel that made a particular conundrum make sense.

    2. New Spring was published in 2004, at which point 10 novels in the Wheel of Time series had already been released. This only strengthens my argument for leaving it for later, as there are then 10 books worth of potential references you would miss out on by reading it 'out of order'.

    3. Looking at a brief summary of New Spring, it looks to deal with the backstory of some characters and elements that would likely be more impactful if read later and with more knowledge. It sounds more like a side-story (that happens to take place before the events of our main series) to help expand and bring more depth to the overall tale than an essential source of pre-information for the series. Again though, as I have no read it myself I cannot say this with certainty.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazaxat View Post
    I have not actually read the prequel myself, but I would suggest starting with The Eye of the World, for a few reasons:

    1. I almost always advocate publication order rather than chronological order for any new series, simply because you can be certain of the information the author has given you up to that point without worrying if there was something perhaps mentioned in an earlier novel that made a particular conundrum make sense.

    2. New Spring was published in 2004, at which point 10 novels in the Wheel of Time series had already been released. This only strengthens my argument for leaving it for later, as there are then 10 books worth of potential references you would miss out on by reading it 'out of order'.

    3. Looking at a brief summary of New Spring, it looks to deal with the backstory of some characters and elements that would likely be more impactful if read later and with more knowledge. It sounds more like a side-story (that happens to take place before the events of our main series) to help expand and bring more depth to the overall tale than an essential source of pre-information for the series. Again though, as I have no read it myself I cannot say this with certainty.
    Ok thanks for the information and help

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    36
    I haven't read New Spring, but I've read the rest of the series. You should start with The Eye of the World. From what I've heard about New Spring, it makes more sense to read it later because it expands on things you learn later in the series.

  5. #5
    I've read them all and agree that you should start with Eye of the World. You can read New Spring at any point after I would say book 4 or 5 (after which you will know the characters pretty well).

  6. #6
    Don't even start the series. You'll just want to suicide between books 6 and 10.

    I'm about to start book 10 and by all accounts it's just... freaking... awful.

    Gotta finsih though...been involved since the late 90's. Just taking my sweet-ass time.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmet View Post
    Don't even start the series. You'll just want to suicide between books 6 and 10.

    I'm about to start book 10 and by all accounts it's just... freaking... awful.

    Gotta finsih though...been involved since the late 90's. Just taking my sweet-ass time.
    But books 12 through 14 are just plain awesome. 11 is also a definite step up from the ones before it.

  8. #8
    To be fair, in my opinion, it was really books 9 (Winter's Heart) and 10 (Crossroads of Twilight) that were problematic as they did not advance the story at all. In fact, if I recall correctly, Crossroads of Twilight actually went back in time and covered the same events from Winter's Heart from different perspectives.

    The real problem with his approach was that Winter's Heart at that point was the weakest book of the series so to go ahead and do another book with the same timeline really did significant damage to the series. Even Robert Jordan admitted that he was trying something "different" with Crossroads of Twilight and it really didn't work out as he planned.

    However, once you get past Crossroads (especially the books authored by Brandon Sanderson), I felt the series was once again on track.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmet View Post
    Don't even start the series. You'll just want to suicide between books 6 and 10. . .
    Even if you didn't like book 6 (I did), you have to admit that the whole Dumai's Wells scene was awesome.

  10. #10
    By between I meant not including book six. Everything up to and including Lord of Chaos was solid. And I do look forward to finishing Crossroads and getting to the point where everyone says it picks up again.

    Books seven, eight, and nine really put a huge damper on the series for me though, and I always planned on finishing it, but the urgency I sometimes feel with other series' was pretty much killed. I felt no need to read the books as they were released.

    Still, my plan is to finish the series by the end of 2015. Wipe it off the my list. I look forward to it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmet View Post
    By between I meant not including book six. Everything up to and including Lord of Chaos was solid. And I do look forward to finishing Crossroads and getting to the point where everyone says it picks up again.

    Books seven, eight, and nine really put a huge damper on the series for me though, and I always planned on finishing it, but the urgency I sometimes feel with other series' was pretty much killed. I felt no need to read the books as they were released.

    Still, my plan is to finish the series by the end of 2015. Wipe it off the my list. I look forward to it.
    I'm kind of the same way. I put the series down years ago, don't even remember which book was the last one I read (maybe the Winter one). Always meant to pick the series up again but everything after book 6 was just such a buzz kill. Even book 6 I could tell it was starting to go down hill a little bit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •