I'm the law... Administrator daigoro's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers #1) by Rachel Aaron

Rachel Aaron (and Rachel Bach, for that matter) has a well-deserved reputation with a fun and popular Sword and Sorcery series, Eli Monpress under her Aaron name and the Paradox trilogy under her Bach name.* Not content with spinning fun, fast paced tales in two sub genres of Speculative Fiction, she launches an urban fantasy […]

Read more

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    I'm putting this on my list! It sounds like just the kind of Urban Fantasy I've always wanted.

I've long been intrigued by the idea of UF, but for just as long I've been disappointed by the huge number of stories in the genre that employ a first person point of view centering on a Private Investigator, Detective, Beat Cop, Angel involved with keeping celestial laws, etc. and plots centering around murder or thefts or something where there is an identifiable crime scene. Not that those books are bad, there is just so much more out there that can be done. It sounds like Aaron has clued in on that as well.

Thanks for letting us know about this Rob!

I'm surprised that no else has anything to say. I know there are people around here who get ARCs. Has anyone besides Rob B gotten one and have any impressions? The book sounds good to me from Rob's review, but that doesn't necessarily mean I will like it. Any other opinions on this out there?

I really need to get around to reading this. I've loved both her Eli Monpress books and her books as Rachel Bach. I can't imagine I won't love this as well.

This sounds fairly up my alley. I don't get ARC's, so when is this one coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    This sounds fairly up my alley. I don't get ARC's, so when is this one coming out?
    It's out already, but it's only available as an e-book at this point.

And here's me, without an e-reader

I guess I'll have to add this to my favorites and check back on it from time to time to see if it comes out in print.

I was very disappointed in this one. I spent most of the book thinking that she must have written it before the Eli Montpress books, because the plot and prose were so clunky. The ideas were nice enough, but the execution was often elementary.

And keep in mind that I very much enjoyed the Eli stories. They were much more complex, nuanced, and well-written.

Aw, this is disappointing. I'll still check it out anyway, if/when I can, just to see what I think of it. I haven't read her Eli Monpress books or her other series, so maybe I'll like it.

Thanks Contrarius!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage View Post
    Aw, this is disappointing. I'll still check it out anyway, if/when I can, just to see what I think of it. I haven't read her Eli Monpress books or her other series, so maybe I'll like it.

Thanks Contrarius!
    Yeah, give it a try. But don't skip the Eli books -- they're fun. They are allllllllllmost too cutesy at times, but I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Yeah, give it a try. But don't skip the Eli books -- they're fun. They are allllllllllmost too cutesy at times, but I like them.
    I think I might have picked up the first one once, but then put it down because I felt the opening scene was too cutesy. I'll put it on the list to try again sometime.