Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in Fantasy and Horror February 2015

Here's where you tell us what Fantasy and Horror you've been reading this month. Whether good or bad, we want to hear what you think.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Just picked up the Way of Kings, Alloy of Law, and the first 3 Wheel of Time books. Looking through this forum, it seems that Wheel of Time is a huge hit. Also, just a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson

Finished Firefight by Brandon Sanderson. I loved Steelheart. I'm not sure I have words for how much I loved Firefight. In typical Sanderson fashion, he took the world we thought we had and turned it on its head. There were so many twists and revelations in this book.

I have read few authors who rival Sanderson as a storyteller.

Finished Infidel, the second novel in the Bel Dame series by Kameron Hurley.

It's a similar type of gritty story to the first book, God's War, with the main character Nyx revenging wrongs with her band of misfits to help her. There's shape-shifters, magicians, assassins, and a whole variety of bugs that can be controlled by the magicians to help them.

I found to some degree the "tough-guy" writing got a bit over the top sometimes, with nearly every chapter ending in a smart-arse one-liner from Nyx. But it was still a fun read, and Hurley's descriptive writing of the unique bug-filled, religious world is very well done. It's something a bit different in this genre which is a good thing.

I have Infidel on the TBR pile. Looking forward to it and the publication of the final volume in UK/AUS/NZ this year. Better late than never!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    I have Infidel on the TBR pile. Looking forward to it and the publication of the final volume in UK/AUS/NZ this year. Better late than never!
    Is that a reprint? The 2012 edition of Rapture is sitting at my local library!

I'm going to wait a while to read it though, I find reading series editions close together is a bit of an overload...

Westsiyeed - That would be the American Night Shade books edition rather than the UK Del Rey edition. The American editions have far better covers in my opinion.

I'm abotu 70% of the way through The Daylight War and while I am still enjoying the series , some of the characters are really beginning to grate on me.

I'd be delighted if Renna doesn't survive the book.

Paladin
    I'm making my way through The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien in preparation for a planned re-read of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I hope this will also motivate me to read The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, et al.

Tolkien's Letters are quite insightful.
    Last edited by mdclanahan; February 2nd, 2015 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rulkez View Post
    I'm abotu 70% of the way through The Daylight War and while I am still enjoying the series , some of the characters are really beginning to grate on me.

I'd be delighted if Renna doesn't survive the book.
    Know the "Renna" feeling...got to point where I had to make an educated guess how much dialogue to skip before it was safe to start reading again.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Currently reading The Protectors by Trey Dowell, very similar to The Watchmen but on a much smaller scale. About 100 pages in and enjoying it.

Altar of Influence

Finished Altar of Influence by Jacob Cooper this weekend. I really enjoyed it. I am now eagerly anticipating the follow-up book for Circle of Reign! Great job JC!

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just got my copy of Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter. It's an actual physical book, with paper-pages and everything.

Anyway, I look forward to starting it tonight. Here's the first line:

The changeling's decision to steal a dragon and escape was born, though she did not know it then, the night the children met to plot the death of their supervisor.
    I'm guessing there's gonna be a lot of blood.

I finished The Affinity Bridge, first book in the Newbury and Hobbes series of steampunk investigation novels by George Mann.

I can't really recommend it. It has an interesting cyberpunk setting and a cool criminal conspiracy, if a bit cliched. Unfortunately, beyond that there are few good things to say about this one. The writing is not good. The characterization is bland and as a mystery it fails utterly. The investigators do not do any investigating, and information just falls in their hands for no good reason. The villains are utterly stupid and seemed intent on making it clear to the investigators what was going on and on failing to escape.

In short, some good ideas spoiled by the inability to see them through. At least it is a fast read, if you can ignore the flaws, which gets easier to do towards the end when the pace quickens.

Any recommendations for better-written steampunk novels set in British Victorian times?

I finished The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. This book was mostly a slog and I'm amazed I even finished it, however I wanted to give it a chance since many readers seemed to like it. Admittedly, I did skim some parts, especially towards the end. I didn't like the multiple POV's and I didn't care for many of the characters. I also didn't care for the infodumps about the armor and weaponry. The usage of things from our work like Christianity and the zodiac was a little strange, too. I don't know, the book just seemed "odd". I don't know how else to put it.