Good C'thulhu mythos material?

I recently finished Future Lovecraft, which while it had one or two pretty decent stories was pretty bad overall.
    The C'thulhu Mythos megapack was pretty decent, the same goes for a lot of Stross' fiction in that universe, but all in all I can't really find more good stuff considering how popular HPL has become around the net.

Recs welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post
    I recently finished Future Lovecraft, which while it had one or two pretty decent stories was pretty bad overall.
    The C'thulhu Mythos megapack was pretty decent, the same goes for a lot of Stross' fiction in that universe, but all in all I can't really find more good stuff considering how popular HPL has become around the net.

Recs welcome.
    I didn't try Future Lovecraft because it didn't look promising. What I did pick up because they look promising were The Book of Cthulhu vols 1 & 2; Black Wings of Cthulhu, vols. 1 & 2; The New Cthulhu; Cthulhu Reigns; Lovecraft Unbound, and I'll probably pick up Lovecraft's Monsters eventually. But I haven't dug deep into any of them yet.

Anyway, I tend to like works that do not run through the list of names of old things and elder things and just things, but tap into HPL's 'cosmic fear' idea: It's a big universe, there may be more than one, there's a lot we don't know, and what isn't apathetic about us may be inimical to us.

Here are some titles I'd recommend.

Pre-dates or contemporary to HPL:
    Tales of Horror and the Supernatural by Arthur Machen
    The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
    THe House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
    Dark Eidolon and Other Fantasies by Clark Ashton Smith (one of the original Lovecraft circle)

Later works inspired by or riffing on Lovecraft-like motifs and themes:
    Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti
    Midnight Sun & The Grin of the Dark by Ramsey Campbell
    Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber
    The Throne of Bones by Brian MacNaughton
    Threshold & The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan
    The Croning by Laird Barron
    Southern Gods by John Jacob Horner (this is okay; others have liked it more than I did)
    The Bone Key by Sarah Monnette (story collection)
    The Mall of Cthulhu by Seamus Cooper (comedy take, but much better than that sounds with a chapter devoted to wandering around R'leyh that works exceptionally well; I suspect this is a psuedonym)
    Practical Demon-keeping by Christopher Moore (again, comedy, some of it riffing on HPL)

Short works:
    "Black Man with a Horn" by T. E. D. Klein
    "Sticks" & "River of Night's Dreaming" & "Undertow" by Karl Edward Wagner
    "Cold Print" & "The Tugging" & "The Voice of the Beach" by Ramsey Campbell
    "The Adder" by Fred Chappell
    "Le Peau Verte" by Caitlin Kiernan
    "Feesters in the Lake" & "Olida" & "Window" by Bob Leman
    "The Frolic" & "Les Fleurs" & "Teatro Grotesco" by Thomas Ligotti
    "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood" Poppy Z. Brite
    "Notebook Found in a Deserted House" by Robert Bloch
    "The Autopsy" by Michael Shea
    "Shoggoth's Old Peculiar" & "A Study in Emerald" & “Only the End of the World Again” by Neil Gaiman
    "Mr. Gaunt" & "On Skua Island" by John Langan
    "Old Virginia" & "Shiva, Open Your Eyes" by Laird Barron

[I got so carried away writing this, I forgot most of it is elsewhere, too:

October Lovecraft]

Randy M.
    Last edited by Randy M.; April 15th, 2014 at 12:41 PM.