Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast

I've just bought.... (Fantasy, version VI)

The old thread was 11 pages long, so . . .

I went to Amazon to check out a title mentioned in the October reading thread. I didn't buy that one but I did buy Locke and Key, a new novel by Joe Hill (I loved 20th Century Ghosts and Heart-Shaped Box), and two horror collections -- Wastelands (apocalyptic stuff) and The Living Dead (zombies).

I suspect I have some of those short stories in other books, but I don't care, because I was in the mood for some horror. It's been awhile.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Auntie P for the update: the old thread is HERE if anyone needs it.

I bought The Living Dead based on Rob's recommendation, just in time for Halloween. Looks good.

Isn't Locke and Key a graphic novel?

Mark / Hobbit
    Last edited by Hobbit; October 21st, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Isn't Locke and Key a graphic novel?
    Apparently so. I didn't know that. I thought it was just a regular novel. There's gonna be artwork -- cool!

Locke & Key was terrific, I picked it up in single issues. The art was appropriately creepy.

My review for The Living Dead will be going up next week in time for Hallowe'en.

I picked up a big o pile from my local library Monday:

The Almost Moon by Alice Seabold (I loved Lovely Bones, and her autobiographical novel Lucky was moving as well. I didn`t buy this due to bad reviews, but I saw it on the shelf.

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (Not my usual thing, but its been topping my local bestseller lists for months, so I got curious)

City at the End of Time by Greg Bear (Started this, but after about 100+ pages, I found I was getting bored, and not really caring about the characters. So its my to return pile already.)

Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear Reading now and loving it.

Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear (Yeah, reason for all the Greg Bear ones is that I am trying out sci-fi authors and someone here recommended him)

Dark Moon by David Gemmel

Jonathan Strange and Dr. Norrel Found some recommendations here!

Spook by Mary Roach (Non-fiction science book - I loved her book about sex, Bonk. Humourous science, my fav.)

Cast in Shadow by Michelle West

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Locke & Key was terrific, I picked it up in single issues. The art was appropriately creepy.
    I agree. It's a strange and beautiful (comic) book.

I just bought another copy of "The Princess Bride" I lost the original copy my dad bought for me when I was about 6. I was so scared to tell him, because that particular copy has a special place in my heart. But he went out and bought me another one, although it isn't as cool looking. I hate new covers. Oh well, now I can reread it for the upteenth time. It never gets old.

The Man with the Barbed-Wire Fists by Norman Partridge (story col.)

I enjoyed Dark Harvest enough that when I saw this at a bargain price, I snatched it up.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    The art was awesomely perfect. How's that for hyperbole?

I'm really getting my money's worth out of Amazon Prime. I ordered the book on Monday and it arrived today (Wednesday).

Anyone know if there will be more stories about this family and that thing? I wouldn't mind a prequel.

Locke & Key is continuing, don't you worry. Here's Joe Hill's blog with all the Locke & Key entries. The second series launches in January. Here's the page from publisher IDW.

Rob, thanks. That's great news.

I don't live anywhere close to a store that sells "comics", so I'll have to wait until the next series comes out in hardcover.

You can always buy the single issues from the publisher or Midtown Comics or Mycomicshop.

Uh, Moderator
    Latest order from the Book Depository (although the plummeting Aussie dollar is smashing my value for money. Damn you credit crisis!!!):
    Seeds of Change edited by John Joseph Adams: Yet another anthology in what has been a big year for them. This guy seems to have a deft hand in producing them - Wastelands was excellent and I'm loooking forward to The Living Dead.
    Fables by Bill Willingham: I liked the concept of this graphic novel, with traditional fictional characters shunted into the real world.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi: Enjoyed the blog so much I figured I'd see what the fuss was about.
    Air by Geoff Ryman: Got this after seeing numerous references around the traps. The only Ryman I've read before this was WAS.
    The Affirmation, The Glamour, The Extremes by Christopher Priest: Ordered all of these after being blown away by The Separation, and before that The Prestige. Brilliant author.
    Hellboy: Strange Places by Mike Mignola: What can I say, I'm addicted to these.
    Thirteen, : I bought this off Suicul's mention of it here recently. looked like my kind of book.
    Caine Black Knife, Matt Stover: What more needs to be said? Probably the best writer of action scenes I've had the benefit of reading, coupled with more thought and intelligence than we often see in this genre. Stover takes names, kicks arse and knows more than you the whole time. Read his books. Please. They're cool, intelligent and exciting to boot.

Ran into a sale and picked up,

My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
    and a trilogy by John Wright:
    Orphans of Chaos
    Fugitives of Chaos
    Titans of Chaos

I saw, but couldn't afford, Poe's Children, an anthology of previously published short stories edited by Peter Straub. His premise is that horror needn't be bound by conventional plotting, that creative writers have found ways to write fresh stories, and he offers these as examples. His selections are interesting, and I was pleased to see he included "The Great God Pan" by M. John Harrison and "The Sadness of Details" by Jonathan Carroll.

Randy M.
    Last edited by Randy M.; October 27th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.

I've been at it again.

Banquet of the Damned by Adam L. G. Neville -- this looks like a good ghost story for the holidays

The Spiral Labyrinth by Matthew Hughes -- second in a series about Henghis Hapthorn, free-lance discriminator, or, as the cover blurb says, "Sherlock Holmes meets Jack Vance's Dying Earth"

A Whisper of Blood ed. by Ellen Datlow -- Barnes & Noble reissued this one combined with the follow-up volume, Blood is Not Enough. The contents include quite a strong cross-section of sf/fantasy/horror writers: Suzy McKee Charnas, Robert Silverberg, Kathe Koja, Jonathan Carroll, Elizabeth Massie, Thomas Ligotti, Pat Cadigan, K. W. Jeter, Robert Holdstock & Gary Kilworth, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Dan Simmons, Harvey Jacobs, Ed Bryant, Harlan Ellison, Tanith Lee, Susan Casper, Steve Rasnic Tem, Gardner Dozois ...

Randy M. (not a continuation of the above list of names, darn it)
    Last edited by Randy M.; November 13th, 2008 at 11:39 AM.