Page 52 of 95 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    I just made some purchases at The Book Depository and figured I'd post here, but then realised there were no fantasy books in the order. That's a first.
    Now I'm curious! What'd you buy?

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Bah, I no longer require Ben of Iowa*. I have purchased Hawkwood and the Kings and pre-ordered Century of the Soldier, the two volumne omnibus set of Kearney's Monarchies of God series.

* - actually, I couldn't find Iowa...

...and once I got there, I couldn't find Ben...

...must...have...omnibus...buy...buy now...buynowbuynowbuynow

Uh, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Now I'm curious! What'd you buy?
    Axis, Robert Charles Wilson
    Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, Katrina S. Firlik
    How to Survive (and Perhaps Thrive) on a Teacher's Salary, Danny Kofke
    Absurdistan, Gary Shteyngart
    The 4-hour Work Week, Timothy Ferriss
    The Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan
    Superfreakonomics, Steven D. Levitt

Legacies by LE Modesitt
    Towers of Sunset by LE Modesitt
    The Dame by RA Salvator
    Storm Lord Rising by Glenda Larke

I actually just finished Stormlord Rising, I had to read it right after The Last Stormlord

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sword View Post
    I actually just finished Stormlord Rising, I had to read it right after The Last Stormlord
    How was the second book in the series? I just read the first book in the series and it left me on the fence as to picking up the second book.

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post
    How was the second book in the series? I just read the first book in the series and it left me on the fence as to picking up the second book.
    I went right into, but its mostly because I am desperate for some solid fantasy to read right now.

I think the 2nd book was better than the 1st though. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling something but if you are also dry in books to read then I say go for it.

Blog Entries
    I went right into, but its mostly because I am desperate for some solid fantasy to read right now.

I think the 2nd book was better than the 1st though. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling something but if you are also dry in books to read then I say go for it.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I may still get it based on your response, especially if it has better pacing. That was one of my issues with the fist book as there were times where it seemed to drag.

I am not dry in books to read between what authors and publishers have sent me I have well over 45 books sitting here waiting to be read.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DurzoBlint View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I may still get it based on your response, especially if it has better pacing. That was one of my issues with the fist book as there were times where it seemed to drag.

I am not dry in books to read between what authors and publishers have sent me I have well over 45 books sitting here waiting to be read.

Thanks again.
    I'm jealous. I've even read a few mystery books over the past few months.

Any recommendations outside of the usual? The usual being Jordan, Martin, Erickson, Hobb, Fiest, Farland, please no Goodkind, Weeks, Sanderson, rothfuss, ect. ect.

Blog Entries
    I'm jealous. I've even read a few mystery books over the past few months.

Any recommendations outside of the usual? The usual being Jordan, Martin, Erickson, Hobb, Fiest, Farland, please no Goodkind, Weeks, Sanderson, rothfuss, ect. ect.
    Well, I doubt I would ever recommend Goodkind to anyone but I have a fondness for Adrian Tchaikovsky's series Shadow's of the Apt. It starts with Empire in Black and Gold. Another series I like is The King's Bastard by Rowena Cory Daniells

I am currently reading the omnibus Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon and really enjoying it.

On of my new favorites is Michael Sullivan's series with the last two books coming out soon. The first one in the series is the Crown Conspiracy.

If you looking for sci fi I can't recommend more highly David Loius Edelman's Jump 225 series. It startes with Infoquake

That is all I can think of for now, don't want to hijack the thread. But that should get you started. Hope you find at least one in those recommendation that you will enjoy. I know it's hard to find a new series to enjoy.

So...

From my other topic:
    Legends by Robert Silverberg (the one with King, Card (Hiss!), Goodkind and so on)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman

And today, I got this from a discount book store thing:
    Abarat by Clive Barker.

re

LINK REMOVED.

just bought this book and read it - really enjoyed it ...!

regards
    Zippo
    Last edited by Hobbit; August 21st, 2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising at SFFWorld!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ah, but Zippo:you appeared in December 2008 touting the same book! You read it then too.

We don't do that here at SFFWorld.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; August 21st, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
    Mark

I just bought:

The Cracked Throne and The Vacant Throne by Joshua Palmatier
    The Rats and the Ruling Sea by Robert VS Reddick

It's amazing to think that when I first joined this site, I had never ordered a book online before. Now that is probably how I have purchased 90% of the books (and almost solely through The Book Depository) I've bought in the last year.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Just bought Red Sea Under Red Skies. However, I haven't even read the first book, so this is just one more book in a long line of books on my bookshelf that I may not get around to reading for a LONG time...!