Recommended reading while in Iraq

I currently find myself in lovely Iraq fighting this wonderful war and I find that I don't have much to do here. Does anyone have any special recommendations for some good reading while i'm over here? I would prefer it be a series that will take time to read. I know some of you are gonna say WOT, SOT, etc. but I've already read most of the common ones. I would appreciate any intel you can give.

Ranke Lidyek
    David Gemmell. His books are self-contained, but set in one world and there are plenty to choose from. As far as doorstops, maybe Erikson (starting with Gardens of the Moon). He has plenty of books in the series. I'm sure plenty will say George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones). Not exactly positive as to what your tastes are. Terry Brooks Shannara series is worth a shot too...

Of these writers, Gemmell seems to be the most consistent and most focused. Read the Waylander series first, I think. But it's hard to choose his best.

Ranke Lidyek
    Oh, and as a veteran myself, with a friend who just came back from Iraq, I wish you well and godspeed. Stay safe.

1300 pages.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; October 23rd, 2008 at 04:32 AM.

I'll definatly second Gemmell. It doesn't matter so much which books by him you pick up although if you are starting with his drenai saga you want to read his waylander books first and if you are starting his Rigante saga you'll want to start with sword in the storm. Best thing about Gemmell besides always delivering is that he has many stand alones which are absolutely superb. Echoes of a great song, Dark Moon and Morningstar to name a few.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Black Man / aka Thirteen by Richard Morgan if you are in a militaristic frame of mind, or the Takeshi Kovacs books by same author. Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher - for entertainment and fantasy elements in a contemporary setting. I started on both authors recently during a tour offshore in the Black Sea [luckily with my Sony Reader I don't have to carry a lot of weight in the luggage]

Blog Entries
    Scynister, I would like to extend my thanks and appreciation for what you are doing for your country and those of us who live in it. It's a very noble thing and I admire those like you.

Now, down to business! If you can find it I think you should read The Prince of Nothing trilogy by R. Scott Bakker. It's a great read, IMO, and I think it would definitely take your mind to a different place, if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks again and God bless.
    Last edited by Spears&Buckler; October 23rd, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to list the author!

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    If you've already read the common ones, then I will assume that you have read Erikson's Malazan books. That being the case, I would recommend Zelazny's Amber series (10 - although the earlier chronicles seem to be received more favourably than the later ones) and/or perhaps Steven Brust's Taltos series. Also a former soldier (91B - army) wishing you well and keep your head on a swivel.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's been some good suggestions made already, but I'm not sure what to suggest as I'm not sure how the situation is for reading material where you are, Scynister.

Can you get hold of books there? Do you have a library or do you have to order them through the post? Do they have to be new books / recently published? (I'm thinking they might be easier to get...)

That might help us with further suggestions.

Best wishes

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Glen Cooke's Black company is apparently well received by those in the forces - keep safe out there

I hope that you continue to have not much to do there and come home safely bored. Take care, wear your helmet.

Long series -- here's the thing, if they're long, they're usually bestsellers, the common ones you may have already read.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld offers you innumerable books that can stand alone but continue characters in the same setting.

Glen Cook's Black Company is good, but it's hard to get ahold of some of the titles, though they are getting reprinted in omnibuses by Night Shade Press in the States. So you could see if you can get them.

I like Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, though I haven't read the newest ones. Other people don't like it, but if you haven't read it, though it may seem a bit dated, might be worth a try.

I second Stephen Brust's Jhereg series.

Hope you stay up and safe bro, and manage to get home safely.

I would like to second both the Prince of Nothing series, and Steven Brusts Jhreg. Prince of nothing is three books long and is already complete, while Jhreg is like 10 books (small paperback books around 250pg) but still incomplete. Both are great series, the first involving a Warrior monk and the other a human assassin in a world of elf like beings.

Thank your for all your support and I appreciate all your suggestions. I'm still undecided on what I'm gonna go with.. I might just get them all cuz I got a whole 9 months left to read them

And Dirty Hands, it's good to hear from somebody from Seattle. That is originally where I am from.