Anita Blake for a man to read?

I lend books once a month to a bed ridden neighbour of my mother-in-law. He really likes crime novels but recently I lent some Fantasy novels to him which he enjoyed. Thinking he may like a change (he's a private man and I have never actually met him), I was thinking some Dresden files and possibly the first couple Anita Blake novels. But I'm having second thought as I recall they were a bit more on the romance side any guys out there ever read these?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    You might consider Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt books, starting with Already Dead. Or John Connolly's series, which is supernatural crime. Or Dresden, like you said. All of these have male lead characters and the romantic aspect is not heavy, unlike Anita Blake and assorted material.

Seconded on the Joe Pitt novels, especially if the guy likes crime stories. I just started on them last week and they are phenomenal. There is a lot of noir grotesquery, if that's an issue (good or bad) for your reader.

IMO the Anita Blake books are not very good. I only read part of the first before losing interest and setting it aside. From all accounts, the later books get worse (and much worse when they devolve into nonstop supernatural sexxoring), but the first one was plenty bad enough to turn me off.

The Dresden Files books are lightweight fun but the plots don't make a lot of sense if you spend much time thinking about them, and there is a whole lot of deus ex machina in the form of people conveniently and inexplicably showing up just in time to save the day (Jim Butcher seems to do a lot of this, as I noticed it in the first Codex Alera book too, and that is one of many reasons I stopped reading that series). They're certainly not bad, but definitely popcorn reads.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    It's funny that you ask this question. One of my best friends and in the circle at work that we share books is the one that got me to read the Anita Blake books. And the Harry Dresden books. And of course he is a guy. Now we don't always agree, because he is liking the Anita books again, says they are finally coming back around to what they are supposed to be. But we both agree that the early Blake books were very good and both love the Dresden novels. He is a very intelligent man, but he does love to just get away from it all and read these books. Yes I think the Blake books are geared more towards women, but there are men out there that enjoy them. And in some ways I think the Dresden books are more geared towards men, although I know many women that enjoy them. What I guess I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter your gender. Just if you like the style. Have him try the first in each, remembering they are necessarily the best of each series. Nothing says he has to keep reading them. By the way my male friend loves the Kim Harrison books also.

Quote Originally Posted by GinaK View Post
    But I'm having second thought as I recall they were a bit more on the romance side any guys out there ever read these?

Yes, we - men, do. Well, I do at least. I don't exactly understand what you mean with "he's a private man" but I assume he's mature enough for AB content.
    Would I recommend them? It depends. I'm not an expert in this series, as I read her Meredith, but if you think that the person can tackle the ardeur in the later books without feeling squeamish then yes.
    The later books in the Anita Universe focus on Anita's transformation from killer of the monsters to being one. There are a lot of relationship issues going along this, and yes there is a lot of sex. But maybe that's what a bed ridden person would like to read to divert his mind.
    You decide.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I read the first eight or so and enjoyed them until they became the cliched bonkfest that the later books became. I did try Micah and Strange Candy but they were just too cliched to be enjoyable.

But some blokes might like that. Still, I enjoyed the first few.

I would also suggest the Joe Pitt and the Dresdens, which I prefer. I'm not as big a fan of the Huston's as some but yes all of those.

Mark / Hobbit
    Mark

Every reader is different and quite a few males I know read and enjoyed the first handful of Anita novels. I grew tired of them very early on; however, when she incessantly repeated all the brand wear clothing she wore. It took up too much space on the page and was just repetetive.

Thanks for the advice unfortunately he is limited to what I actually have so I may check out the Joe Pitt books. Defiantely the Dresden books and maybe I'll sneak in the firrst couple Anita Blake books to see what he thinks. I still haven't decided if I should subject him to Goodkind and Jordan yet

It's not really a matter of someone being a male or female reader. The Anita Blake series isn't romance, but contemporary fantasy in the suspense vein (with the femme fatales being guys,) that has developed into erotic noir. Well, technically erotic noir, but the sex scenes are so plot-intertwined and weirdly unsexy that I can't imagine anyone finding them much of a turn-on, but some guys might.

I have recently decided not to continue with the series, not because of the erotic angle, as that is levelling off, but because the game plan of the series just isn't working and the books are just droning at this point. However, the first five mysteries or so are solid, very action-driven, and with interesting police cases, so those would probably be okay. And there is a lot of contemporary fantasy out there that is not romance, but suspense.

However, if your friend prefers male authors, then Charlie Huston, Butcher, Tim Pratt and so on, are probably better bets than Hamilton. A lot of people new to fantasy really like Tim Powers, Neil Gaiman and James Blaylock. Best to hold off on the secondary world stuff till he gets his feet wet.