Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up What's your single favourite SF book published since 2000?

I don't recall this question being asked anytime recently but I was wondering about it last night.

I could easily name 30 or 40 SF books I really love but only a couple of them published after the turn of the last millennium. If I had to pick one, well.... I'll get back to you.
    Last edited by Ropie; January 10th, 2014 at 04:40 AM.

Favorite Post-Millennial Book

OK, I'll bite..."Blindsight" by Peter Watts.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    If I had to pick one, well.... I'll get back to you.
    Sneaky one aren't you? LOL

This picking the best is a problem because I like things for different reasons.

I will pick Bujold's Captain Vorpatrils's Alliance. It is a fun book.

I like Cryoburn also though I was somewhat disappointed with it after the first read. But it is the more serious science fiction story. Science and technology are not just the issue, in and of themselves. It is a question of what people do with it. Cryoburn has a society doing something different with cold sleep technology on a massive scale but who is in control within the society? I think about Cryoburn more than CVA but CVA is more thoughtless fun.

So the one Best business is not so valid.

psik

I don't recall this question being asked anytime recently but I was wondering about it last night.

I could easily name 30 or 40 SF books I love but only a couple of them would be since the turn of the last millennium. If I had to pick one, well.... I'll get back to you.
    I'd have to go with the book that got me into the greater science fiction world - Pandora's Star.

Read interesting books
    I could name 50+ - maybe even 100 - sf books from 2000 on that I loved and of which most I would still read now, but overall for the greatest entertainment value and number of rereads (10+), Off Armageddon Reef by D. Weber (Safehold 1) would be my top pick

The Kings of Eternity, Eric Brown

You hurt my head.

Light by M. John Harrison (2002).

Yeah, very hard to pick one.

I narrowed it down to Dune, Rendezvous with Rama, House of Suns and Hyperion.

Would probably pick Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke. But I've only read House of Suns and Hyperion once each, so whenever I get to re-read them the top pick may change...

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    I narrowed it down to Dune, Rendezvous with Rama, House of Suns and Hyperion.
    Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, Westsiyeed - I meant books that have been published since 2000 AD (have updated my original post).
    Last edited by Ropie; January 10th, 2014 at 04:41 AM.

Oops my fault.

Actually I would pick Stone by Adam Roberts. House of Suns would be a close second.

Tough thread to post in. I've almost posted a few times since yesterday morning, each time with a different answer. I'm hesitating to post even as I type this now. But what the hey, I'll go with Surface Detail by Iain M Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    Tough thread to post in.
    Hehe, glad it's a bit of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Actually I would pick Stone by Adam Roberts.
    I loved Yellow Blue Tibia but have been left a bit cold by his other recent books. I should give some of his older titles like Stone a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Light by M. John Harrison (2002).
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    OK, I'll bite..."Blindsight" by Peter Watts.
    Read these, and sorry to say I didn't get either of them (they seemed quite similar to me). Undoubtedly impressive books but not floating of my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennarin View Post
    The Kings of Eternity, Eric Brown
    Now this is a good one! I really enjoyed it when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    I could name 50+ - maybe even 100 - sf books from 2000 on that I loved
    Amazing! Over the past 10 years I've probably read 15-20 SF books newer than the 1990s, and of those I'd say just 5 or 6 were really memorable. That's sort of why I was interested in asking too.

Quote Originally Posted by krisbslick View Post
    Pandora's Star.
    I'm always put off by the size of his novels, to my shame.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Sneaky one aren't you? LOL
    Just needed to get a moment to look through my shelves. My favourite has to be The Islanders by Christopher Priest.
    Last edited by Ropie; January 10th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.

Read these, and sorry to say I didn't get either of them (they seemed quite similar to me). Undoubtedly impressive books but not floating of my boat.
    Heh, sorry I thought I was picking my favourite book, not your favourite book.

Just needed to get a moment to look through my shelves. My favourite has to be The Islanders by Christopher Priest.
    Damn, I can't poop on your choice as I quite like it too. Not as good as Light, but not a bad book at all.

Edit: Don't understand Eric Brown's popularity. Word for word a terrible writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Edit: Don't understand Eric Brown's popularity. Word for word a terrible writer.
    I do think his writing style is simplistic and fairly non-technical (especially for an SF writer), but wouldn't go so far as to call him terrible. I've found some of his latest books have been fairly average, but I really enjoyed Kings of Eternity and his Bengal station series.

I'm always put off by the size of his novels, to my shame.
    I think I stopped before half way thru Reality Dysfunction. I only read that far because so many people say it is so good.

I don't mind a long book but I feel that a decent book should pull me in, I shouldn't have to push my way through. Captain Vorpatril's Alliance had more pull than Cryoburn, but I didn't have to push with either of them.

psik