Threaded View

It's the thousands of employees being laid off and the jobs being shipped over seas. It's the impact it has on the economy of Michigan and the US, but you go ahead and keep thinking it's all about the latest trim package.
    This thread talks about HOPE.

In the 50s and 60s the optimistic views about science were part of that HOPE.

Good SCIENCE Fiction should have something to do with science and technology. I built this when I was in grade school but not because any teacher suggested it.

http://www.discoverthis.com/visible-v8.html

Back then it didn't have a hand crank. There was an electric motor in the starter housing. I understood that planned obsolescence was going on in cars before I was out of high school. I have never owned a new car and have not been to an auto show in more than 30 years. If General Motors started manufacturing what I regarded as a excellent car tomorrow I would not go to a show to see it. My only question would be, "What is it about this thing that you could not have made 20 years ago?"

"And don't talk about the 30 gig hard drive for audio and video storage. That is not why I buy a car." ROFL

Physics and technology are related and economists are technological morons.

I like the Star Trek: DS9 episode The House of Quark because it shows the usefulness of accounting. Aren't the computers we have today powerful enough to handle it? I have never seen any futuristic society portrayed in any science fiction book where everyone was expected to know accounting the way everyone is expected to know how to ride a bicycle today. What kind of culture would that be? I don't hear economists saying accounting should be mandatory in the schools.

The Space Merchants is a good prophetic SF book but I would not call it hopeful.

Here are some of my thoughts on techno-economics from 10 years ago.

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

What HOPE is there if consumerism is crashing and everyone thinks the solution to the problem is more consumerism. There have been 200,000,000+ cars in the US since 1995. At $1,500 per car per year that is $300,000,000,000 lost in depreciation every year. FOUR TRILLION DOLLARS lost since 1995. But the so called econometrics used by our professional economists doesn't even try to measure that accurately. And that is just what I regard as a conservative guesstimate.

I NEVER talk about conspiracy theories. I don't give a DAMN.

But it is pretty funny for the nation that put men on the moon to not be able to solve a physics problem about a skyscraper in SEVEN YEARS. Where is the HOPE in that?

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.ph...postcount=2125

Science fiction fans that don't know the SCIENCE to solve the Newtonian physics. UH HUH!

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; November 8th, 2008 at 08:21 PM.