Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kcf View Post
    I suspect that any change will be some time in coming, less than hoped for, and that itís too premature to see how science fiction will react, if it reacts at all. But, I still feel that hope and it cannot be denied.
    Well, it's been about two years. Do you still feel that hope? Other than selling less, how has science fiction reacted?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
    Well, it's been about two years. Do you still feel that hope? Other than selling less, how has science fiction reacted?
    Why oh why would you resurrect this thread? :P

I just hope that SF survives.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonsu View Post
    Why oh why would you resurrect this thread? :P
    I was worried that the Hope inspired changes were subtle and that I might have missed them.

There is no Hope. Haven't you read enough science fiction to know by now that humanity is doomed.

Have a good day, while you still have a full day to enjoy.

Blog Entries
    How about this for a topic. If politicians read more Scifi would they do better at their jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    How about this for a topic. If politicians read more Scifi would they do better at their jobs?
    lol possibly

I suspect that any change will be some time in coming, less than hoped for, and that itís too premature to see how science fiction will react, if it reacts at all. But, I still feel that hope and it cannot be denied.
    Another year has passed and I still haven't seen the Hope inspired changes. Anyone have links to some I may have missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
    Another year has passed and I still haven't seen the Hope inspired changes. Anyone have links to some I may have missed?
    No it's hopeless.

http://grist.org/politics/obama-clim...t-a-joke-mitt/

psik

Now this is interesting:

In this new book, Noga Applebaum surveys science fiction novels published for children and young adults from 1980 to the present, exposing the anti-technological bias existing within a genre often associated with the celebration of technology.
    http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...ce-fiction-for

psik

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    SF is more than just a genre that responds, knee-jerk fashion, to the issues of the day... though it has obviously been known to do that. SF also looks at the Big Picture, the long-term view, which tends to smooth out the bumps and valleys created by changing political views and leadership.

The American government has made little progress towards obvious changes, pro or con, primarily due to its own inherent contentiousness. We are still in an era where big business overtly controls government, or minimizes government's ability to adversely impact big business, and the people accept bread and circuses to avoid making waves.

These trends have been influencing (American) SF heavily in the past few decades. I think we need to see changes to that logjam, in order to give writers a reason to see something different on the horizon.

But don't forget: A lot of SF is built around what sells, and scary dystopias have proven to be much more popular book-sellers than utopian lit.
    Last edited by Steven L Jordan; September 21st, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    SF is more than just a genre that responds, knee-jerk fashion, to the issues of the day... though it has obviously been known to do that. SF also looks at the Big Picture, the long-term view, which tends to smooth out the bumps and valleys created by changing political views and leadership.
    SF doesn't do anything. You are anthropomorphizing the literature.

The sf WRITER reacts and responds to the environment if that what s/he wants to do. S/he may be totally out of touch and the story may have nothing to do with reality.

Consider Bujold's Cryoburn. She has corporations packaging and reselling contracts on people in cryogenic storage even though some of them are dead. But most people don't know that. So it is obviously similar to the packaging and selling of sub-prime mortgages. But I have not seen anyone make that comparison about the story.

But it is the writer not the SF that is responsible.

Lots of SF has nothing to say about anything.

Like the Flinx series by Alan Dean Foster is entertaining but it does not really have anything to say about anything.

psik

I'm finally starting to see what Hope is doing for Science Fiction.

Sales of 1984 are way up.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...on_amazon.html

From the blog:

In my 32 years Iíve not seen anything like the current atmosphere here in the US and even the rest of the world. The best single word for it seems to be HOPE. Late Tuesday night after the election results confirmed Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States of America the scene was simply amazing. Spontaneous celebrations erupted around the country. People celebrated from the White House to Times Square and even here in the relatively small city of Flagstaff, Arizona, people drove around honking car horns, screaming for joy and celebrations erupted in downtown. The next day came as a daze of ĎI canít believe it really happenedí and millions felt a true hope for the future of our country that has been missing.

Now, Iím much more of a realist than an idealist and I fully realize that the US is still a very divided country. However, this is nothing like any election Iíve experienced in my lifetime and the hope that those I know and that I feel myself cannot be denied. It seems much of the world feels the same way.

In this post-9-11 world things have changed. This change is reflected in all walks of life and science fiction has certainly embraced the reality. Look at everything from Ken Macleodís The Execution Channel to Cowboy Angels by Paul McAuley and from Cory Doctorowís Little Brother to David J. Williamsí Mirrored Heavens. Science Fiction writers have taken stock of the world and look toward an ominous future.

So, I ask does the election of Barack Obama change the game. Will Obama really change things or will he be more of the same for the US and the world? How will science fiction writers address the hope that permeates much of the world Ė at least temporarily?

I really am curious to hear from readers, writers, editors, and others. I suspect that any change will be some time in coming, less than hoped for, and that itís too premature to see how science fiction will react, if it reacts at all. But, I still feel that hope and it cannot be denied.
    I'm currently betting on dystopian futures based on pervasive surveillance states.

From the blog:

In my 32 years Iíve not seen anything like the current atmosphere here in the US and even the rest of the world. The best single word for it seems to be HOPE. Late Tuesday night after the election results confirmed Barack Obama will be the next president of the United States of America the scene was simply amazing. Spontaneous celebrations erupted around the country. People celebrated from the White House to Times Square and even here in the relatively small city of Flagstaff, Arizona, people drove around honking car horns, screaming for joy and celebrations erupted in downtown. The next day came as a daze of ĎI canít believe it really happenedí and millions felt a true hope for the future of our country that has been missing.
    It just shows how much realism reality and science fiction lack.

I voted for Obama the first time.

But I also found it really curious that a junior senator who had not completed his first term got the money and support to have even a reasonable chance of winning a run for president.

As I voted I wondered who had bought him.

psik