Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What do you do in "Normal" life?

I'm just curious as to how everyone here finds time to read so much. I love reading and any spare moment I have, my nose is in a book. But what do you do for a living? How do you make the cash to buy the books we love?

Maybe I'll follow in your footsteps as I'm about to graduate. Maybe you're all just amazingly fast readers with large IQ's, though...

I work in a bank and do a lot of reading to and from work and during my breaks (and in the tub at home!).

I guess I should add my own...

I'm currently working full time as a Customer Service Trainer for a health food company, going to school part time, and studying for the LSAT. That leaves so much time for reading. Sadly, that's not true.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Armoured Crewmen.

I make backpacks... jk!

I'm a Corporate Account manager for a large Corporate IT sales company. Glorified title if I've ever heard one. lol

Not sure if this thread belongs here or in a different forum...

I'm a college student with a history major though that's about to change once December rolls around and I graduate.

Personal Trainer. Work a pretty normal 40 hour week and that gives me a couple hours every night to read.

Time to change, Changer. foolofgold's Avatar
    Assistant Manager at a Wal Mart Supercenter. Fun fun. Little time for reading.
    Last edited by foolofgold; November 6th, 2008 at 11:34 PM.

Software engineer here. Get most of my reading done on the bus to/from work, unless I'm really hooked, in which case I'll read whenever I can find a spare moment.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    engineering : the dirty hands, machine repair type [maybe that's why i like Modessitt and K J Parker]. but i spend hours on commuting, and i go on field trips with overnight stay [like on oil rigs]. also - i'm single so i have no pressure at home and i make my own priorities [like bathtub reading]. i stumble when it comes to getting the books i like, as they are not easily available, and shipping costs are high. i have hopes to improve here with ebooks for sony reader.

I work freelance, both doing graphic design (like so) and commercial compositions. Somehow I eek by and manage to pay my bills on those. At times I go on long runs where I have little time to read. Then there are dry spots where I probably have too much time for it. But it all kinda balances out, I think.

Java Programmer: I play Xbox often and read about an hour before I go to bed and lots on weekends.

I'm a biologist, I work in a constructing company in Environmental protection department.
    I do my readings mostly in train on my way to/from work and by weekends.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane19 View Post
    Not sure if this thread belongs here or in a different forum...

I'm a college student with a history major though that's about to change once December rolls around and I graduate.
    Lol, I graduated with a history degree. Now, I'm a research associate testing investigational pharmaceuticals in ophthalmology. Really long story.

In my free time, I'm working on constructing a story of my own, but I obsess over having it perfect, thus it's been ten years and I'm still making notes on paper towels, napkins, backs of envelopes from junk mail, laptop, notebooks, etc. A surgeon once told me that, "perfect is the enemy of good." I think I'm starting to get it, at least in a first-hand sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    A surgeon once told me that, "perfect is the enemy of good." I think I'm starting to get it, at least in a first-hand sense.
    Ha, I think that anyone who takes pride in their work would tend to agree with you, I know I do... I've got my piece-of-crap I've been writing for 5 years that I can't convince myself it's good enough to move forward with haha.