Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    Uh, Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,605
    Whilst I found them to be somwhat flawed, The Court of the Air and especially The Kingdom Beyond The Waves by Stephen Hunt are adventure novels, and rather imaginative to boot.

  2. #17
    Mmm I do remember reading mixed/lukewarm reviews about Hunt, but they seem to say he has some very interesting ideas.

    King's Blades -- how could I forget? The Gilded Chain is one of those books that has been in the back of my mind for a long time.

    I tried Codex Alera and didn't like it, though the setting is intriguing

  3. #18
    DreddeyeKnight courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Mage- View Post
    King's Blades -- how could I forget? The Gilded Chain is one of those books that has been in the back of my mind for a long time.
    Dave Duncan often passes under peoples radar. It's a shame because i think his work is wonderful, so imaginative, and has great plot twists and engaging characters.

  4. #19
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Mage- View Post
    Mmm I do remember reading mixed/lukewarm reviews about Hunt, but they seem to say he has some very interesting ideas.

    King's Blades -- how could I forget? The Gilded Chain is one of those books that has been in the back of my mind for a long time.

    I tried Codex Alera and didn't like it, though the setting is intriguing
    It improves after book one and while the fabula has been a cliche since Arthurian times it has a lot of twists and turns to make up for that. I also like it that it's more romantic (in a good way) thank many other fantasies out there (including Martin, who I couldn't get into).

  5. #20
    Copy-paste from another thread cause this question keep repeating itself:

    The First Law Trilogy.
    Elentris (standalone).
    Mistborn Trilogy.
    Warbreaker. (download for free from Brandon Sanderson site, buy it though when it's out!)
    The Painted Man (a.k.a The Warded Man)
    The Name Of the Wind.
    Sword of Shadows Trilogy.
    The Prince of Nothing Trilogy.
    Vlad Taltos books
    Legend (standalone) by David Gemmell


    Hope it helped. Btw search for more info on Amazon.

  6. #21
    DreddeyeKnight courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    130
    I would have to disagree with The Prince of Nothing series being a light swash buckling read! there's not much out there heavier than this work.

  7. #22
    sapper-in-chief Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Western Honduras
    Posts
    323
    The Gortrek & Felix books by William King (or most of the other old-empire Warhammer books) are easy reads full of splashing mayhem. Gortrek & Felix are now available in two omnibus editions for easier access to the series (as are several of the other Warhammer series). I overlooked the Warhammer books for a long time, then decided to take a chance on one (Mathias Thulmann: Witchhunter, by C. L. Werner), then dove into several more and discovered they're actually better written and paced than I expected -- certainly fitting your bill of quick, easy, exciting reads. I've never read any of the Warhammer 40000 books (futuristic space-opera genre), so can't comment on those.

  8. #23
    aurea plectro goldhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    566
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    This isn't fantasy, but Treasure Island by Robert Lewis Stephenson is amazing. It's a classic and it's only about 200 pages. Very swash-buckling.
    It's available for free at Project Gutenberg, as are many others.

    Download text of Treasure Island.

    Download audio book.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    The Gortrek & Felix books by William King (or most of the other old-empire Warhammer books) are easy reads full of splashing mayhem. Gortrek & Felix are now available in two omnibus editions for easier access to the series (as are several of the other Warhammer series). I overlooked the Warhammer books for a long time, then decided to take a chance on one (Mathias Thulmann: Witchhunter, by C. L. Werner), then dove into several more and discovered they're actually better written and paced than I expected -- certainly fitting your bill of quick, easy, exciting reads. I've never read any of the Warhammer 40000 books (futuristic space-opera genre), so can't comment on those.
    The third G&F omnibus will soon be on the way as well. I'm currently reading the tenth G&F book, Elfslayer. The three most recent are written by a different author, Nathan Long, rather than William King, who has stopped writing for GW to concentrate on his own creations. They're still pretty good, with good pacing and character growth, and, of course, lots of carnage and mayhem.

  10. #25
    sapper-in-chief Whiskeyjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Western Honduras
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by columbob View Post
    The third G&F omnibus will soon be on the way as well...
    That's good news, since I like the omnibus editions of Warhammer. The dimensions of the books are not much larger than a standard mass-market paperbook, yet there's more "bang for the book" with an omnibus edition. I'm glad the publisher (Games Workshop) has gone this route of packaging their smaller books into omnibuses to increase circulation and visibility. I used to look past the plethora of thinner Warhammer books on the shelves till the Witchhunter omnibus caught my eye and tempted my purchase. Now I'm a big fan of the old-empire series, and may make the leap into the 40K books later! I think the original poster of this thread (Mage) would find Warhammer to fit his criteria quite well.

  11. #26
    Fantasy Author Damiynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Key West fl and Cookeville Tn
    Posts
    76
    Ok you are looking for a good adventure, I would like to recommend my own series, The Kingdom Chronicles, by A V Wedhorn, A King's Quest is the first, and the second should be out soon. Im not sure when cause I am currently fighting bad guys in Iraq but I recieved a good review here and expect to recieve a better one when the second book comes out.

  12. #27

    What to read next? (something similar to Scott Lynch, hopefully)

    I am a bit at a loss on what to read next!
    I have been reading fantasy since i was 12 (witch means roughly for the past 17 years, starting with Lord of the rings, a copy I borrowed from my father!), and of course I have developed a certain feeling for what I like.

    I feel I am a bit over the long epic fantasy series, where a young boy/girl rises to save the whole world, etc etc. But I have absolutely loved the 2 first books in "The Gentleman Bastards" series by Scot Lynch. I also really liked "The Prince of Nothing" series by R. Scott Bakker.

    I have been trying to find similar books by searching both this web-site and other sites, and I have noted me "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss as a possibility. But I still need some help, as I wont get long with just one book!

    Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

    Arlendius

  13. #28
    Newbie Sapph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    72
    Have you read The First law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie? It sounds like what you're looking for... No young farmboy becomes superpowered hero here! ANother book i enjoyed was The Etched City by K.J. Bishop, but a lot of people really don't like this.... Right now I'm reading Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay and am about half way through... It also seems like one you'd like.

  14. #29
    \m/ BEER \m/ Moderator Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Near Cows in the Garden State
    Posts
    10,907
    Did you really search our forums? Scott Lynch comes up quite a bit when people finish his books and look for other things to read, specifically these threads:

    Reading if I enjoyed Scott Lynch?
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)

    Snarkiness aside, the authors who immediately come to mind are:
    Steven Brust (multi-volume series about a theif told in a distinct first-person narrative)

    Joe Abercrombie (Trilogy recently completed, writing sensibilities similar to Lynch)

    Brent Weeks (recently completed trilogy about an assassin, very good stuff)

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Did you really search our forums? Scott Lynch comes up quite a bit when people finish his books and look for other things to read, specifically these threads:

    Reading if I enjoyed Scott Lynch?
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)
    Of course I did, but to be honest, with the amount of information on this board, it's a bit like being thrown in to deep water and told "learn to swim", trying to search for the exact information I wanted!

    But that aside, I will pick up Abercrombie next, as it sounds like it might be a good fit! Thank you for your recommendations!

    Arlendius

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •