Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You're not supposed to like Jezal at first, and one of my few quibbles is that Abercrombie made Jezal a bit more clueless and over the top than I think he needed to be in the first book to establish Jezal as ignorant and shallow. But over time, of course, Jezal becomes a lot more likable. As for the other characters, I like them all, very much, though like doesn't always mean I admire them. Logen's tragic situation is the most heart-wrenching. (Imagine if the Hulk was an avatar of mad slaughter.)

As for Glotka's internal dialogues -- I love those. Here is a character who is continually arguing with himself about whether to live or die. Awaiting, expecting and welcoming death, but at the same time, hating the very idea of it. A man who has far more heart to him than when he was hale and strong, yet does evil things by choice and desperation. You're not going to forget Glotka once you read about him, or the sing-song of his dilemma.

weightless astronaut
    And not only that, I find Glotka's internal sarcasm hilarious...

It could also be argued, that his imprisonment, torture and disfigurement at the hands of the Gurkish has unbalanced him and this constant, nagging internal voice is one of the consequences.

I think Glotka is one of the most brilliant new characters in the fantasy genre and sincerely hope Joe includes him in future novels and allows the depth of his character to grow even further - seems inevitable at this point, given the ending to book 3.
    Last edited by jamieem; December 5th, 2008 at 05:19 AM.

Will you take your throne
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieem View Post
    And not only that, I find Glotka's internal sarcasm hilarious
    Kneel! Kneel before the mighty emperor of Ghurkhul!

No, no, don't tell me anything! I haven't read it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    You're not supposed to like Jezal, at least not at first. And yes, I sympathize about Bakker, but isn't it fascinating how he does that?
    In book he is simply unbearable. One of the reasons the third was one of the more disappointing books I've read for a while and easily the worst of the trilogy.

Which one, Abercrombie or Bakker? Wait, don't tell me. I haven't read Book 3 of either.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Which one, Abercrombie or Bakker? Wait, don't tell me. I haven't read Book 3 of either.
    KatG! Immediately read book three of Abercrombie so we may continue this thread!

Abercrombie's third book does certainly cast some of the characters in a new light, [or, in some cases, recast them in an old ... but no]. Having read it, I find it very hard to talk about the earlier novels without knowledge of Last Argument of Kings informing what I say.

Oh, and about Bakker's Thousandfold Thought, ... might I humbly suggest that you read it soon? Because in about a month people are [hopefully] going to be talking about The Judging Eye all over the place, and the spoilers will be flying thick and fast.
    ________
    Tdm850
    Last edited by mjolnir; April 29th, 2011 at 02:30 AM.

I'm working on Kings, Bakker may have to wait. The problem is that I am acquiring far too many series to follow.

weightless astronaut
    Meanwhile, Joe will probably be very upset to discover how much he looks like Bono in this picture:

http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.co...omes-four.html

LOL, Joe Abercrombie is really Bono! This explains a great deal.

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    *sigh*

Yes, it's true, my secret is revealed.

The whole U2 thing just wasn't really making any money, so I've stepped up to the far more lucrative area of genre publishing.

My publishers were worried that 'Bono' wouldn't fit on a front cover very comfortably, so we went for the much punchier nom de plume, 'Joe Abercrombie'

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's a nice name. Can I have a free book?

quick question, is the next book a stand alone?

Hhahaha, nice one Joe. You must be the king of U2 kareoke at the bars around your place=)

As a sidenote I've noticed some people having suffered a "major letdown" by book 3 and I simply cannot understand it. For me book 3 was the best one in the series and I'm also waiting for Katg to finish reading the book already so we can resume the discussion. Giddi-yapp slow-poke!

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    It's a nice name.
    Thank you. What a gentleman.

Can I have a free book?
    Well, since it's Christmas ... no.

quick question, is the next book a stand alone?
    Yes, Best Served Cold can be read on its own, though it picks up some threads left over from the trilogy, and features a few minor characters in much more central roles. It's a self-contained story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I've noticed some people having suffered a "major letdown" by book 3 and I simply cannot understand it. For me book 3 was the best one in the series.
    You are correct, book 3 was undeniably ABSOLUTELY ACE. I've been considering this bizarre reaction on the part of a tiny minority of readers, and can only conclude that the book was actually FAR TOO ACE for their fragile minds to comprehend, and caused a short-circuit in the aceness recognition centres of their brains, leaving them with the clearly mistaken impression that the book was actually quite poor.
    Last edited by Joe Abercrombie; December 10th, 2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: 100th Post! Yee-Hah!