Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War fantasy

War fantasy

I am really getting hooked on fantasy with war as the main subject. I'm currently reading the first three of Glen Cooks The Black Company and really enjoying them.
    I've also read all the Sharpe Novels by Bernard Cornwell, all the Conn Iggulden books on both Ceaser and Genghis Khan and read the two published Simon Scarrow books on Wellington and Napoleon.

Does anybody have any tips and pointers on authors or titles?

john marco's 'tyrants and kings' is considered military fantasy and features a lot of warfare

paul kearney's 'the 10'000' is about a mercenary army, so if you liked 'black company' you might like this as well

james barclay's raven series is also about a mercenary group and constant warfare

James barclay is in my to read pile and I'm really looking forward to them.

Is Kearney's a stand alone novel or arre there more?
    Last edited by Skilgannon01; February 9th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Strangely enough, the work that got me hooked into this vein (currently about to read Barclay and Cook) was Elizabeth Moon's omnibus The Deed of Paksenarrion. Moon, having been a commissioned officer, had a great grasp of the subtleties of enlisted life. I think I've actually met Sgt. Stammel.

kearney it's a stand-alone, but iiirc he might write more books in the same world

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Strangely enough, the work that got me hooked into this vein (currently about to read Barclay and Cook) was Elizabeth Moon's omnibus The Deed of Paksenarrion. Moon, having been a commissioned officer, had a great grasp of the subtleties of enlisted life. I think I've actually met Sgt. Stammel.

I read them for about 10 or 15 years ago and I think it's the same for me, they are the ones that started it all.

Most Epic fantasies deal with war, so that's a pretty broad recommendation.

Military fantasy
    help finding militaristic fantasy
    Military Fantasy

Ok maybe that was a broad recomendation request, I'll try and narrow it down.

I love Steven Erikson and George RR Martin, but when i read I find myself longing for the parts in the books with the large scale battles. I love when in the Malazan series Erikson brings it down on Fid's, Hedge's and Whiskeyjacks level and you almost can feel the swords swinging around your head, the arrows or crossbow bolts flying. The heroic parts with the walking and the talkning and thinking doesn't interest me as much as the in close, gritty, dirty, eye to eye battles do.

Hope you more understand what I'm looking for.

Thanx Rob for the forum links

You have got to read Gemmel's Legend. The whole book is one great battle, no-nonsense and fast-paced.

Anybody read the other Kearney books The Monarchies of God are there something in them which would suit my description above.

I know that they are renessaince fantasy and that is not an issue. I kinda like it with muskets and cannons

I wouldn't call The Monarchies of God military fantasy. Really good books and worth a read, but I don't think they meet the criteria presented here.

Literary Assassin Singularity101's Avatar
    Have you tried the two( maybe more ) follow ups to Glen Cook's 'The Black Company'? Also he has several omnibus editions out. I'd also recommend Raymond E. Feist's 'Riftwar' series. His books are easy reads until the third book, and the print shrinks.. hey, but there's less pages... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity101 View Post
    Have you tried the two( maybe more ) follow ups to Glen Cook's 'The Black Company'? Also he has several omnibus editions out. I'd also recommend Raymond E. Feist's 'Riftwar' series. His books are easy reads until the third book, and the print shrinks.. hey, but there's less pages... right?

I'm working through the first omnibus edition by Cook and have the other one one the nightstand.

I've already read all the Feist books that's been published and I agree they are easy reads and I think that they are really good also.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
    kearney it's a stand-alone, but iiirc he might write more books in the same world
    Solaris has just signed up Paul for two more novels set in the same world as The Ten Thousand. Definitely something to look forward to.

As for general recommendations...

Marco's Tyrants and Kings focuses heavily on war, and very good it is too.

Only read the first three Raven novels by James Barclay, but the second - Noonshade - has plenty of battles/combat in it.

I agree with the Marcos recommendations, you might also try any of the Conan stories. Another series that I loved was The Seer King trilogy by Chris Bunch, you might give that a try.