Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magical forests

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

Magical forests

I tend to enjoy books set in mysterious, somewhat enchanted forests. Mythago Wood comes to mind. Does anyone know any good stories set in such forests?

They need not necessarily be magical, I'm also quite in love with the feel of people living close to nature, something most of us are so far removed from in modern day. I was thinking of Merlin, living in the woods, on his own. That sort of stuff, makes for great and lasting images IMO.

Anyone?

Bones of the Past by Holly Lisle. It's not entirely set in the forest, but there is a large portion of the book there. It's a fascinating forest, but beware, it's rather dystopic. It's not a nice happy forest, but it's very interesting. I really enjoyed it.

How about the Forest in C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy ? Definitely not an enchanting place ! But definitely memorable.

Sarah Douglass series The Wayfarer Redemption has several enchanted forests, in fact they play a pivotal role in the story. I can only think of one of their names at the moment, Minstrelsea

As far as people, there are a race of people, the Avar, who live in the forest, very nature oriented.

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    CJ Cherryh wrote a trilogy that took place almost completely in a forest. I'm not sure if there's a name for the trilogy, but the three books are, Chernevog, Yvgenie, and Rusalka (that might be the wrong order). I think you'd enjoy this...the trees were actually conscious!

Ooh, I love the forest in the Memory Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. I don't have the books with me but I think it had something to do with heart. It left me with lasting images.

Feists, Elvandar - a quiet, gentle and nuturing forest which beautiful and graceful Elves call home. Huge towering trees where you can't see the sun for branches and leaves but there is a 'glow' to the forest so light is not a problem. The Spellweavers weave their healing magic and one is at peace with the earth......

Atleast this is the image Feist built for me. Mind you if someone tries to cross into Elvandar without permission they're likely to end up with an arrow some stuck place.

[This message has been edited by Aglaranna (edited February 13, 2002).]

"Little,Big" by John Crowley. Some episodes take place in Forest bordering the Faery.

Wildrunner
    Dragon Lance has one of them. I don't know the correct spelling, but I think its the Shoklian Grove. Any how the grove of trees gards a castle of the world's wizards and will move around acording to the individuals who have entered the grove of trees.

To read about the grove read the Dragon Lance Chronicles.

Couldn't agree more about the Forest in Coldfire

The forest of Arden in Zelazny's Amber.

I liked the setting of Tom/Fitz's wood-cabin in Fool's Errand.

Ware, I think you are thinking of Cherryh's The Dreaming Tree duology. However, that was one book I couldn't finish.

The Forest Sauvage in The Sword in the Stone where The Wart meets Merlin, Madame Mim, Robin Wood and Morgan the Fay.

The woods in Alan Garner's Owl Service.

LOTR has Mirkwood, the Old Forest, Fangorn and Lothlorien.

Those weirwoods in A Song of Ice and Fire... I dunno, they seem spiritual in a haunting sort of way, but not frightening, like they're a link to the past. They're pretty trippy. Doesn't seem to be a lot of Demon Wars fans around here, but the first trilogy takes place almost exclusively in a nature surrounding and Andur'blough Inniness has some funky magic mojo going on to boot.

Shakespeare's "Forest Of Arden" (cfr As You Like It).

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    Fitz,

Nope, I have yet to read The Dreaming Tree duology...it's sitting on my shelves, however. These three books are a different series. I believe they are based (or at least inspired) by a Russian ghost story.

CJ Cherryh wrote a trilogy that took place almost completely in a forest. I'm not sure if there's a name for the trilogy, but the three books are, Chernevog, Yvgenie, and Rusalka (that might be the wrong order).
    Actually, it's the other way around: Rusalka, Yvgenie, and Chernevog. Have read it and though it's a slog going through, I found it very interesting. And the forest is primarily mysterious because of the whole dang atmosphere of mystical Russia.

Ware, I think you are thinking of Cherryh's The Dreaming Tree duology. However, that was one book I couldn't finish.
    Cherryh's The Dreaming Tree duology also has a mysterious forest. Of course, Cherryh's writing in this series was not as good as in the Fortress books so no surprise, FF. But I managed to finish it and found it passable.