Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    For anyone intrested, the gaming company Paizo is currently reprinting a lot of old Swords & Sorcery/Planet stories in their Planet Stories imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP123 View Post
    Ahh, I think I've answered my own question. "Sword of Lankhmar" though published earlier (and described on Leiber's wikipedia page as book 1), is in fact book 5 of the series, so my omnibus is (as described) the same as Fantasy Masterworks no. 18 (albehit with a different cover).

Anyone confirm this?
    I can

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    I just ordered what was described as the Fantasy Masterworks no. 18 which would make it the first book of Lankhmar. However, on arrival it seems to be a different edition with a white cover and the first story/chapter in it (apart from the Intro) is "The Snow Women" from the "Swords and Deviltry" book.

Flicking through this omnibus seems to contain "Swords and Deviltry", "Swords against Death", "Swords in the Mist" and "Swords against Wizardry".

My question is, does it matter that I seem to be missing the first book in the Lankhmar series called "The Swords of Lankhmar"?
    Yeah, no problems there, Andy. I have the same edition.

Ahh, I think I've answered my own question. "Sword of Lankhmar" though published earlier (and described on Leiber's wikipedia page as book 1), is in fact book 5 of the series, so my omnibus is (as described) the same as Fantasy Masterworks no. 18 (albehit with a different cover).

Anyone confirm this?
    That's correct.

Mike Grell's WARLORD!

I know we have a comics/graphics novel section, but I really want to recommend an older series from DC Comics - Warlord. Over the past few years, DC has been releasing some old and unique series in black and white reprints through their SHOWCASE line of books.

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=12504

Priced at $17.99 it is a great bargain, terrific art, and storytelling in the tradition of Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    quote: Sword and sorcery (S&S) is a fantasy subgenre generally characterized by swashbuckling heroes engaged in exciting and violent conflicts. An element of romance is often present, as is an element of magic and the supernatural. Unlike works of high fantasy, the tales, though dramatic, focus mainly on personal battles rather than world-endangering matters.

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, and i just finished the first volume : "Jhereg". I think Steven Brust fits every criteria with his Vlad Taltos series, it's not contemporary and it uses a lot more swordplay than Jim Butcher.
    There's also the Thraxas series by Martin Scott which is similar in a lighter, humor oriented style.

I'm looking for something like Dresden Files. Urban fantasy, badass male protagonist and epic grand scale fights. Not just detective work but big battles and possibly wars . As i said Grand Scale .

Ideas?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McPoodle View Post
    I'm looking for something like Dresden Files. Urban fantasy, badass male protagonist and epic grand scale fights. Not just detective work but big battles and possibly wars . As i said Grand Scale .

Ideas?
    If the "Male Protagonist" isn't needed, you should check out Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels series.

Otherwise, you might like Mark Del Franco's series.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McPoodle View Post

Ideas?
    Try The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. The main character is a 2000 year old druid set in modern Arizona. He sort of has a save the world mentality like Harry, but he is a bit different. The first book is call "Hounded" and I loved all three that are out. The first book of the next trilogy actually comes out this month and I already preordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by sic's mom View Post
    Try The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. The main character is a 2000 year old druid set in modern Arizona. He sort of has a save the world mentality like Harry, but he is a bit different. The first book is call "Hounded" and I loved all three that are out. The first book of the next trilogy actually comes out this month and I already preordered it.
    These books are really fun. Light, fast, and funny. There is some of the grand scale you are looking for (a druid, a blood witch, and a pack of werewolves take on an ancient god, a coven, and hundreds of demons at the end of the first book).

Already read Hearne's work and awaiting for Tricked this month .
    And yes male protagonist is a must . I'm not a misogyn in real life but i like to identify myself with the protagonist in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lamontagne View Post
    I thought Joe Abercrombie's trilogy ruled. I can't get into Song of Ice and Fire - I just can't stomach the Dothraki and I don't like his names, although I think Martin's Fevre Dream is perhaps the best vampire novel I've ever read. I love Robert Howard's Conan stories. I thought the tone of Rothfuss's Name of the Wind was too smug - Kvothe seemed like a dick - and so I didn't enjoy that. I love Moorcock's Elric saga. I think Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd & The Gray Mouser tales are the greatest fantasy stories ever written, bar none (and that includes LOTR, which I love and put at #2). I cannot abide any story with names like "Shadowborn" or "Kingkiller" in it. I think R Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy was a masterwork of genius and the best fantasy work of the new(ish) millenium. I did not like Wizard's First Rule. I loved Curse of Chalion. I did not love Bitterwood. I thought Bernard Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy (Winter King etc) was amazing, and recommend it to fantasy fans though it is more of a dark-age adventure novel (and perhaps the best one ever written, along with Frans Bengtsson's The Long Ships and Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road) . I loved Tanith Lee's Dreams of Dark and Light. I think Robert Jordan was overrated. I love Neil Gaiman. I loved the first four books of the Dark Tower series. I loved Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle. The works of Tim Powers - especially Anubis Gates, Drawing of the Dark, On Stranger Tides and Declare - I recommend wholeheartedly, especially to fans of high-quality, very literate fantasy. They are EXCELLENT. And Thomas Ligotti out-Lovecrafts Lovecraft, for anyone who likes their Weird weird and their horror profound.

So, I ask you, apart from Brandon Sanderson and Scott Lynch, what can you guys recommend?
    You sound like the opposite of me, I don't think my recommendations would suit you. I loved all of The Dark Tower but the last three books are my favorites, no one can out-Lovecraft Lovecraft, I absolutely love the Wheel of Time series as well as The Name of the Wind. Lieber and Moorcock are on my TBR list so I can't comment on them and perhaps I will come to love them more than LotR but I doubt it, it holds too special a place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    You sound like the opposite of me, I don't think my recommendations would suit you. I loved all of The Dark Tower but the last three books are my favorites, no one can out-Lovecraft Lovecraft, I absolutely love the Wheel of Time series as well as The Name of the Wind. Lieber and Moorcock are on my TBR list so I can't comment on them and perhaps I will come to love them more than LotR but I doubt it, it holds too special a place in my heart.
    Then why even bother responding? The original poster (who unfortunately hasn't stopped by here in a while) asked for a specific recommendation. If you can't recommend what he's trying to find, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Then why even bother responding? The original poster (who unfortunately hasn't stopped by here in a while) asked for a specific recommendation. If you can't recommend what he's trying to find, what's the point?
    The same reason you're making a comment I would suppose, to be a part of the conversation, to add your two cents. That is what a forum is about right?

My comment was as a moderator keeping the discussion focused and on topic.

That being said, I'll break out the Randy M. and Bob Gray posts into another (likely Horror Recommendation) thread

Wishful writer of fantasy Garet Jax's Avatar
    One of my recent likings was The Graveyard Book by Gaiman. Well-crafted tale deserving of its awards. So it's a liking and a recommendation.

I have the first Fafhrd book at home, so I'll be excited to read it in the near future based on everyone's high recommendation of the series.

Dislikes were Goodkind and Fitzpatrick. Couldn't finish either one of them.